+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By forbiddenlake
  • 1 Post By AngelX

Thread: Put YARET event tracking in game!

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13

    Default Put YARET event tracking in game!

    Zone events are an integral part of the game, as such they should be easy to find in the game UI.

    All the data needed is no doubt already available, displaying it in the UI should be fairly easy.
    A tab could be added containing the zone events to Activities -> World /Promo Events.

    Currently I'm tracking them with workaround in chat window, set up as the following:

    + on the chat tab to create a new tab
    Please enter a name for this tab: Events
    Right click on the new tab, select Settings
    Select Channel Messages
    Select the Events checkbox
    Hit the apply button

    Problems with this workaround:
    - No data when logging in
    - There is no way to filter these messages
    - The majority of the event messages are for zones and events I have no interest in
    - No fun or joy at all in searching for zone events

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Try to use this addon from Bamu.

    it still work for event tracking
    Hokhmah@Brutwacht
    Pseudo support, Prima raiding specs
    Discord : Zyggiha#2277 , I can help for everything related to primalist , feel free to ask on Discord, In Game, on my specs guides or via private message.

  3. #3
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    938

    Default

    That add-on doesn't really do all that much more than AngelX's workaround. I just wraps it in a nice UI and adds a few bells and whistles. There is still no way to track events started before you login and you need to install python for the add-on to work (at least that is what I gathered from that thread).

  4. #4
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,785

    Default

    Another problem with the ingame Events channel is it doesn't tell you when an event ends

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    146

    Default

    It would be far simpler for them to fix whatever went wrong with the ZE API than to make a major change to the in-game UI, and they haven't been able to manage that for *checks clock*... Wow, it's been that long?

    Don't expect anything from Gamigo that doesn't directly translate into cash shop revenue. Things like YARET indirectly increase revenue by providing convenience to players and keeping them engaged and playing/paying with very little need for future development hours, but their bean counters haven't figured that bit out yet and probably won't before Rift becomes unprofitable and gets canned.
    Last edited by MarginalSteve; 05-20-2020 at 10:45 AM.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhipf View Post
    That add-on doesn't really do all that much more than AngelX's workaround. I just wraps it in a nice UI and adds a few bells and whistles. There is still no way to track events started before you login and you need to install python for the add-on to work (at least that is what I gathered from that thread).
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...82/unknown.png

    You can create filters for what you want to be displayed and be informed only for certain events.

    You can let Rift run in the background and don't have to constantly check the chat window as you will also be informed acoustically.

    In contrast to the rift chat window, the element (fire, life, air ...) of the respective event is also displayed.

    My program also supports the webapi, if Gamigo finds the time to fix it, it will use it instead of the log files. The current variant via logfiles is only an emergency solution.

  7. #7
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...82/unknown.png

    You can create filters for what you want to be displayed and be informed only for certain events.

    You can let Rift run in the background and don't have to constantly check the chat window as you will also be informed acoustically.

    In contrast to the rift chat window, the element (fire, life, air ...) of the respective event is also displayed.

    My program also supports the webapi, if Gamigo finds the time to fix it, it will use it instead of the log files. The current variant via logfiles is only an emergency solution.
    I wasn't trying to say that your add-on was useless (if it came across that way I apologize) just that it really doesn't do much to satisfy the main problem AngelX has with using an Events chat tab (or at least what I find to be the main problem with Yaret not working).
    All those things you list are the bells and whistles that I was referring to. You still don't get to see what events are running without Rift also running (with Yaret you can see if it is even worth starting Rift). You also don't see what event are currently running as soon as you start Rift. I see that you have a timer on the events though (I hadn't realized that was in the add-on).
    I wouldn't discourage anyone from installing your add-on but it would REALLY be nice if Gamigo fixed their API.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...82/unknown.png

    You can let Rift run in the background and don't have to constantly check the chat window as you will also be informed acoustically.
    Running untrusted applications all the time in the background on a computer where you are also doing online banking, investing, and shopping is not a wise decision.

    This is not to imply that your python plugin is malicious in any way, it's just not worth the risk as a general practice.

    I'm curious, do you agree with my premise that zone event are an integral part of the game, and the tracking belongs in game? And also that adding this would not be a large programming task if all the data is already available?

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelX View Post
    Running untrusted applications all the time in the background on a computer where you are also doing online banking, investing, and shopping is not a wise decision.

    This is not to imply that your python plugin is malicious in any way, it's just not worth the risk as a general practice.

    I'm curious, do you agree with my premise that zone event are an integral part of the game, and the tracking belongs in game? And also that adding this would not be a large programming task if all the data is already available?

    That's the reason why I only offer the *.py files on Github, that's the source code, so it's not possible to insert malware without it being noticed.

    Actually it is relatively easy to integrate an event tracker directly into the game, you would only have to return via the addon interface when an event starts and ends. A user interface could then be tinkered by the community itself in the addon programming language lua.

    Event begin and end is even output via the add-on interface, but only for the current zone you are in, Gamigo would have to adjust that it is done for all zones.

    The following addon may also work:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...t-tracker.html

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts