+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Implement a limit/charge system in global chat

Shadowlander

Default Implement a limit/charge system in global chat

1-29 chat is a wreck. While people are pretty helpful with new players who ask questions in chat, those new players are going to have a hard time getting their question noticed with the steady stream of chat that doesn't belong in global chat. 1-29 has been adopted by a handful of people as a place for them to carry on conversations amongst themselves, everyone else be damned. That's not what a global chat is for, that's what /tells are for, or heck, form a party if all you want to do is chit chat (apparently, you can create a channel for chat; there's simply no excuse that these private conversations are happening over global chat). And these selfish individuals that have taken over 1-29 will become hostile and bully a person for daring to suggest that they take their private conversations private. Other global channels don't have this problem, it is only 1-29. While their selfishness works fine, i'm sure, for the people engaging in that behavior, it is NOT appealing to anyone else, despite what they claim.

I have seen other games that have implemented a "charge" system to use global chat; I think Rift should implement the same system. When logging on, you get, say, 3 charges to make a message in global chat--when you leave a message in global chat, you use a charge. charges replenish at the rate of one charge every 5 min, capped at three charges. Burn through your charges, and you have to wait for the 5 min timer to expire to get another. This doesn't hurt the game at all--if you need to have a longer conversation than 3 messages will allow, use /tell. If you want to chit chat and gossip, find your chit chatters and gossipers and form a party. The only channels affected would be the pink global chats.

Edit: You know, it wouldn't have to be as low as a 3 charge cap. You could go as high as 10, probably, with a new charge every 5 min--that's a lot of chat but would discourage mindless spam or outright trolling. 10 charges would be enough for anyone to use global chat for what it is supposed to be used for.

If Gamigo had the staff, these selfish individuals would be reported for spam (which is what their private conversations in global chat are), and moderators would ban those people from global chat until they learned not to abuse it, but Gamigo is not staffed for that degree of moderation. Moderation would probably be preferable to a limitation coded in, but the limitation is cheaper than a moderation team. One way or the other though, the free for all needs to be checked for the health of the game.
    Last edited by Phugly; 07-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Sword of Telara

It isn't even necessary to make a party or use tell. It is my understanding that anyone can make a chat channel. If you type /join "channelname" and use a unique name for "channelname" it should create a new channel that anyone else can join as long as they use the same "channelname".
    I'm not sure if these are cross shard channels though.

Soulwalker

I've witnessed an argue like this on 1-29 channel and let me tell you the truth.
    Truth is that this person never asked for any 1-29 infos.
    Truth is that this person insulted everyone, calling names and so on, while everyone kept it civil.

Now you know what he truely wants.
    Last edited by holloweaver; 07-29-2019 at 07:56 AM.

I guess you're talking about NA, although you didn't specify. In my experience, the ignored questions are when the chat is so silent nobody is watching it. And I've also never seen anyone do private talks on there but then I'm not online at prime time.
    I'm against this suggestion as that would make that chat as dead as it is in EU, which IMHO kills the game. In fact as a European I don't play on the EU servers because the lack of chat just kills me inside.
    If people are really annoyed by general chatter being in 1-29, what would really help is to create another official General channel and leave that for questions? Although it might become just as dead as the other level ranges chat, and when they're dead nobody answers questions cause everybody just unsubscribes it.
    [Faeblight] Yareen Amaltheia Mongke ... [Typhiria] Aiadiyima

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by holloweaver View Post
    I've witnessed an argue like this on 1-29 channel and let me tell you the truth.
    Truth is that this person never asked for any 1-29 infos.
    Truth is that this person insulted everyone, calling names and so on, while everyone kept it civil.

Now you know what he truely wants.
    No, what's not "civil" is spamming global chat with private conversation, and then bullying people who ask that you keep your private conversations private so that global chat can be used for what it is intended to be used for.

Tell me, do you see any problems with implementing a system that works to keep global chat to global chat business, or is it more important to you that you force your personal conversations on the entire community? What's YOUR motivation?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Amaltheae View Post
    I guess you're talking about NA, although you didn't specify. In my experience, the ignored questions are when the chat is so silent nobody is watching it. And I've also never seen anyone do private talks on there but then I'm not online at prime time.
    I'm against this suggestion as that would make that chat as dead as it is in EU, which IMHO kills the game. In fact as a European I don't play on the EU servers because the lack of chat just kills me inside.
    If people are really annoyed by general chatter being in 1-29, what would really help is to create another official General channel and leave that for questions? Although it might become just as dead as the other level ranges chat, and when they're dead nobody answers questions cause everybody just unsubscribes it.
    It is, indeed, NA--perhaps people in EU are more considerate.

It's not only questions--there are other things that global chat is for, that is supposed to be for. A NMR pops up on a shard. An OW event has spawned. Recruiting people for a dungeon or instance when the queue for LFG is too slow. The fact is, there are many, MANY uses for global chat that people do use it for, as intended (more than enough, i might add, that the argument that a "dead chat is a dead game" is just plain wrong; the idea that inane spam in chat is more helpful to a game than a chat dedicated to actual game discussion is laughable). There simply is no defense of spamming global chat with personal conversation, period--there are better options that do not impose on the rest of the community.
    Last edited by Phugly; 07-29-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Phugly View Post
    No, what's not "civil" is spamming global chat with private conversation, and then bullying people who ask that you keep your private conversations private so that global chat can be used for what it is intended to be used for.

Tell me, do you see any problems with implementing a system that works to keep global chat to global chat business, or is it more important to you that you force your personal conversations on the entire community? What's YOUR motivation?
    I'm sure that my motivation is not hypocrisy.
    This guy insulted, harassed, monopolised the chat with his personal beliefs, dismissing and denying any argument that was not fiting in his perception with aggressive answers. What was his motivation?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by holloweaver View Post
    I'm sure that my motivation is not hypocrisy.
    This guy insulted, harassed, monopolised the chat with his personal beliefs, dismissing and denying any argument that was not fiting in his perception with aggressive answers. What was his motivation?
    Well then, if this is the case then you should be 100% on board with this too, shouldn't you? Wouldn't it eliminate that abuse of chat that you are claiming?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Rhipf View Post
    It isn't even necessary to make a party or use tell. It is my understanding that anyone can make a chat channel. If you type /join "channelname" and use a unique name for "channelname" it should create a new channel that anyone else can join as long as they use the same "channelname".
    I'm not sure if these are cross shard channels though.
    This is a system I have seen in other games, I did not know if it was an option in Rift. If that is the case, then there simply is no reason whatsoever that a limit system shouldn't be implemented--those that wish to chit chat and gossip can chit chat and gossip to their hearts content amongst themselves in their own channel, and spare the rest of the community their discussion, leaving global chat to game discussion.

Wink

Can aggree. Entered it 2 days ago looking for low level items and the majority of text there was literaly unmoderated dumb and even highly sensitive nonsence.
    Last edited by Shas; 07-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

Implement a limit/charge system in global chat-gg-no-chat.png

Yknow, I wish this game would give an ignore feature, million dollar idea maybe

Instead lets just mass mute the community because someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, I agree
    Nixia@Greybriar]

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzito View Post
    its actually 4 buttons. Let me know when you learn how to rogue

Did you really go full photoshop for this kind of reply?

The overall opinion is to encurage the impulsive brats to keep theyr talks private instead of dumping the 1-29 , which already gets spoilt by people who won't stay for long in the first place, giving potential newbies a strange initial experience.
    Lack of moderation is no blanco check to dump personal incapabilities onto everyones lawn.

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Maltie View Post
    Attachment 33944

Yknow, I wish this game would give an ignore feature, million dollar idea maybe

Instead lets just mass mute the community because someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, I agree
    Disingenuous argument. No one is being "mass muted because someone doesn't like what someone else is saying." There are plenty of options for you to have your personal conversations with your friends--you can /tell them, you can form a party, you can make your own channel. Why does everyone else have to listen to your personal conversation? That's not what global chat is for. Forcing your conversation on everyone else is selfish. The limited chat solution retains the functionality of global chat, and takes nothing away from those wanting to have a personal conversation. I have to say, people arguing FOR being allowed to have their personal conversations on chat are only proving their own selfishness and inconsideration for their fellow players.

AS far as the "ignore" option, that doesn't really fix the problem, does it? Sure every single person could put the 12-20 people dumping in chat on ignore, but that hasn't really fixed the problem, it's just hidden the problem, hasn't it? The new person who just joined the game is still going to be inundated with mindless private conversations in global chat, souring their impression (no, mindless private chat is NOT a selling point, no matter what the "chatters" say) of the game. Why should the entire community have to bend to the whims of selfish, inconsiderate few? People who are using chat properly shouldn't have to change their behavior, the inconsiderate people should.
    Last edited by Phugly; 07-29-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Phugly View Post
    Well then, if this is the case then you should be 100% on board with this too, shouldn't you? Wouldn't it eliminate that abuse of chat that you are claiming?
    It's not a "if". It happened this way and there's already a report option against this kind of abusive people.
    I'm not even sure that to provide him a dictionary would eliminate his kind of abuse.
    Last edited by holloweaver; 07-29-2019 at 10:51 AM.

King of Slackers

Can't agree more, that feature is something Rift truly needs now and should have the highest priority! Just look at the best MMOs out there that don't have any trolls in chat thanks to such systems.
    It would clearly not be a waste of time if 2-3 Devs work on such system for the next 3 months.
    I mean who needs content that keeps people busy if you could have a troll free 1-29 chat?
    While we are at optimizing things, could we maybe get rid of one Dev and have 1 more CM that categorize & prioritize all the awesome suggestion from the official Rift forums?
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons - Contend
    Youtube
    Twitch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast