Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Soundras
  • 1 Post By Seshatar
  • 1 Post By bctrainers
  • 1 Post By Seshatar

Thread: Higher Draw Distance

Soulwalker

Default Higher Draw Distance

I think increasing the maximum (object) draw distance would make wide, open zones much more pretty.
    Most modern computers could handle more than the current maximum.
    Maybe also the grass draw distance could be increased, there are some plains where you could see a difference.
    Of course, I dont know if or how possible it is, but I (and many more) would definitely appreciate it!
    Last edited by Soundras; 07-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Soundras View Post
    I think increasing the maximum (object) draw distance would make wide, open zones much more pretty.
    Most modern computers could handle more than the current maximum.
    Maybe also the grass draw distance could be increased, there are some plains where you could see a difference.
    Of course, I dont know if or how possible it is, but I (and many more) would definitely appreciate it!
    Probably not cuz gamebyro.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

+1

If you could increase the draw distance it would make the game look much better
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

The game use to have (2010-2012) rift.cfg editable max render distances, well above the 180 limit (and the "6" limit for terrain). However, it induced some impressive FPS latency along with awkward texture-renders back then. Right around the Ember Isle update or the SL update (i don't recall which), they hard-clamped the values down.

No matter how much the game engine has been modified over the decade now, at its core, it is still Gamebyro. It lagged terribly back then, it'll still lag (not latency/internet lag, but FPS render lag) today.

Don't get me wrong, I loved having the huge render distances back then, and would love seeing it make a return in the future.
    --BC

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    The game use to have (2010-2012) rift.cfg editable max render distances, well above the 180 limit (and the "6" limit for terrain). However, it induced some impressive FPS latency along with awkward texture-renders back then. Right around the Ember Isle update or the SL update (i don't recall which), they hard-clamped the values down.

No matter how much the game engine has been modified over the decade now, at its core, it is still Gamebyro. It lagged terribly back then, it'll still lag (not latency/internet lag, but FPS render lag) today.

Don't get me wrong, I loved having the huge render distances back then, and would love seeing it make a return in the future.
    I think it would be great if they'd give us the option again, just to see how it works nowadays. Not only the machines have gotten much stronger, but after this "hard-clamp" they also introduced multi-core support, 64-bit client etc., which might make things smoother now.

At least I have around 100 fps in the open world if there is no players around and my machine is already 4 years old. Sure, crowded areas will still cause issues, but I think the draw distance might cause less problems, especially when it is not rendering the players in and just the world objects etc.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

+ Reply to Thread