+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: English not American

Telaran

Default English not American

Seeing as Rift is an International game, can we use the international spelling of English words instead of the modified American version - this will also be useful for people who are learning our language.
    Last edited by Player01; 04-25-2019 at 11:39 PM.

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

Hello!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean?
    Discord: Zyra#0666

Rift Chaser

You do realize Trion was a US based publisher/developer right? So it makes sense for them to produce the game in American English. Now after 8 years you want Gamigo to have American English, and British English? If that's the case I'd like Canadian English, Austrailian English, Irish English, New Zealand English, and Singlish.

But seriously, why would you want them to waste time on changing spelling when there's other stuff that actually matters.
    Last edited by Mrwidoes; 04-26-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    In the wise words of my professor.. Did you read?

These variations in spelling exist because of differences between American English and British English. Color is the spelling used in the United States. Colour is used in other English-speaking countries. The word color has its roots (unsurprisingly) in the Latin word color. Any Questions?
    refer to link and OP last post was right why change the spelling when more important things are needed
    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/color-colour/

I Am and always will be a Murphy's Child....

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zyra View Post
    Hello!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean?
    There are many differences in the way Americans spell English words to THE REST OF THE WORLD. Anyone learning English will be subjected to incorrect spellings if the game continues to use the American versions.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwidoes View Post
    You do realize Trion was a US based publisher/developer right? So it makes sense for them to produce the game in American English. Now after 8 years you want Gamigo to have American English, and British English? If that's the case I'd like Canadian English, Austrailian English, Irish English, New Zealand English, and Singlish.

But seriously, why would you want them to waste time on changing spelling when there's other stuff that actually matters.
    It's not a waste of time to be correct, also, it is not necessary to take time out to locate and change them, just as they come across them and for future reference.

Btw, all those other English languages you mentioned are almost 100% spelled the same. I believe New Zealand spell Fjord as Fiord though. NEXT !!

The fiords of New Zealand are all located in the southwest of the South Island, in a mountainous area known as Fiordland. The spelling 'fiord' is used in New Zealand rather than 'fjord', although all the maritime fiords use the word Sound in their name instead.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
    There are many differences in the way Americans spell English words to THE REST OF THE WORLD. Anyone learning English will be subjected to incorrect spellings if the game continues to use the American versions.
    In most other countries I don't think they will kick you out if you spell it color instead of colour. If someone is learning English I think they can cope with the slight variations in spelling between US/British english.
    Last edited by Rhipf; 05-03-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Not only is our American words different so is our grammar, And the way we pronounce things and verbalize our facial expressions etc.

EXAMPLES,
    The most noticeable difference between American and British English is vocabulary. There are hundreds of everyday words that are different. For example, Brits call the front of a car the bonnet, while Americans call it the hood. Americans go on vacation, while Brits go on holidays,

Some words have different meanings depending on whether they are used in an American English or a British English context. The word 'pants' in American English, for example, refers to an item of clothing which is used to cover the legs (i.e. trousers), whereas in British English the word refers to underwear.

So in conclusion I think if someone wants to learn the correct spelling they need not to learn Our language but rather learn British English because I as an American Am Proud of our Differences in our English and how we Do things but to each his/her own.

I hope they focus more on adding new content trion didnt create before they bought us rather than fixing ALL the dialogue in vanilla + 3expacs

It's not a waste of time to be correct
    For an American and a company based in America, using American English spelling is the correct thing to do.

Rift Chaser

Didn't realize American English was incorrect. I find British English to be incorrect then since I don't use it nor do I live there.

Typical USA, American First, the rest of the world is not interested. Also in the language. Stupid Anglo-Saxon descendants.

Charwyn@Brutwacht

Shadowlander

Seeing as Rift is an International game, can we use the international spelling of English words instead of the modified American version - this will also be useful for people who are learning our language.
    Learning what language?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1957 View Post
    Typical USA, American First, the rest of the world is not interested. Also in the language. Stupid Anglo-Saxon descendants.
    If you're referring to me, rest assured I am not born nor do I live there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast