+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seshatar

Thread: Bonus and special effects on companions (pets)

Lightbulb Bonus and special effects on companions (pets)

So in RIFT companions (pets) are mostly vanity only, with the exception of 'Lil' Shiny', which can sometimes poop artifacts. Why not having bonus or special effects available for all companions? I know in Trove allies also have effects and there everyone uses them.

My idea:
    • You can put pet accessories (similar to 'runes') on your companions, which makes every stat bonus effect available for all your favorite companions
    • Those 'runes' give % based stat bonuses, so they are useful whatever level your character is, but never overpowered, i. e. +3% Wisdom
    • In addition you can use pet food (similar to enchants as power stones) on your pets which give an extra bonus that runs for only 24h
    • The third system could be pet toys (based on the dream orb system) and could be a premium only bonus that for example adds small XP, token, notoriety buff on the companion
    • Pet accessories should be craftable by various professions and pet food should be craftable by survivalist
    • Some rare companions get additional special effects similar to Lil' Shiny. These are unrelated to the 'runes' and only come with the specific companion
    • All bonuses only work in the open world and not in instances (raid, dungeon, pvp)

Summed up, every pet can get 3 enchants, one crafted permanent (pet accessories) , one crafted temporary (pet food) and one premium (pet toys). In addition some pets have specific extra effects.

This way companions would be useful and used more, adding some more value to them as well as offering new interesting things for crafters. They may also make new premium companions sell better and the premium pet toy enchant might also create some extra revenue.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

Given that they only have an effect in open world, it kinda guts the idea. Bonus in the open world is "so-so", because it's not really needed, where as a 3% wisdom buff is more effective and loved by raiders.

I'm also the type that treasure Shiny due to the artifacts being dropped. It's good plat depending on rarity dropped and I'm still missing a bunch of epics. This is far more valuable currently than a random stat in open world. It does give companions more versatility.

The last bit of trouble, unless easily changed, is the pet being dismissed when you die. You have to resummon it, and it might not be the first thing you remember when soulwalking or being combat rezzed in open world content.

It could be possible with a bonus companion being active and Shiny being a special companion active at the same time, but then everyone will look like a small army in open world :P
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

While I can appreciate the spirit of adding some depth to companions, I don't support this. Adding even more gear slot, and thus grinding, to the game is the LAST thing it needs.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteDonkies View Post
    While I can appreciate the spirit of adding some depth to companions, I don't support this. Adding even more gear slot, and thus grinding, to the game is the LAST thing it needs.
    Why, aren't you a postive little spirit? ;)

In any case yes, but the suggestion is still valid. How Trion prioritize it is a different matter however.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

+ Reply to Thread