+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ishimui
  • 1 Post By Mordrahan
  • 2 Post By SlvrdllrGB

Thread: Eternal Catch-up

Soulwalker

Default Eternal Catch-up

Since 4.3's raid basically requires the final stage of Eternal weapon, I would suggest making the final grind (16 IRotPs) quicker in some way for people who started late. Perhaps lowering the required number of kills, making it so Malannon NM kills count (maybe by making both Arakhurn and NM Mal drop some kind of currency that is required for the upgrade) or making it so IRotP can be done multiple times a week like TDez would work. Thank you for the consideration.

Telaran

Well I was typing this up to be it's own thread but saw this one so I'll just put this all here instead.

I'm begging you all to keep this discussion civil and on point. It's time we sat down and had a very serious discussion about the Eternal Weapon grind, more importantly shortening that grind or adding in reasonable catch-up mechanics. I know what you're thinking we've had this discussion before. However, it is critical we get this addressed and soon. If we go off of the past life spans of Rift's expansions that means we've hit that halfway point.

The major concern is we're creeping up on the point where when and if a new person joins the game it is going to be completely impossible for that person to catch up and play on an even playing field with the rest of us, no matter how many hours a day they play. They will not be able to catch up until there's a gear reset in the next expansion. There is ZERO incentive to try to gear up if it's impossible to catch up.

It's already heartbreaking that one of our Guildies, our good friends, come back to the game excited to play and hear them say, "I'm going to put in a lot of work, hopefully it won't take too long to catch up to you guys so we can play again." Do you know how truly heart-wrenching it is to tell a friend, "Sorry but you're always going to be 5-6months behind just because that's how long it takes to upgrade your weapon." I've tried my absolute best to say that in a way that isn't overwhelming to them, but each time it always ends the same way, that's one less friend playing Rift with me and that just makes me sad.

So now we're here and IF Rift stays to it's update cycle for expansions that it's had in the past soon I'm going to have to say, "Sorry you'll never be as geared or good as anyone until the next expansion comes out" and who would really invest any time playing under that condition?

Expectation:
    If a new or returning player joins the game they can catch up to everyone else if they put in the time and work to do so.

Reality:
    That's entirely impossible with a 5-6month investment on the weapon alone, but in that 5-6 months the rest of us have been doing current content getting even farther ahead of them on gear.

Problems with the Eternal weapon stages:
    *Leveling the minion card Wicket - 1 month investment of time. could be cut down to 15 days by blowing credits to refill stamina
    *100 expert dungeons...
    *The 16 Priest kills from I:Rotp - 4 month investment. no short cuts here.

Possible Solutions:
    *Remove the Wicket quest from the middle of the quest chain and add that requirement to the final upgrade stage BUT give everyone the minion card to start leveling up with the very first stage on the eternal quest line and make sure they're aware they should be leveling that with their weapon because they'll need it later.
    *The 100 expert dungeons needs to be dramatically reduced or at the very least changed to 100 expert dungeon bosses killed.
    *Change the 16 Priest kills to something more manageable like 8 Tier one end boss kills (High Priest and Malannon)

Result of these changes:
    New Player, "Just got back into the game! Going to work hard to catch up hopefully it won't take to long for us to play together again."
    Me, "Sounds great, it's going to take a little bit over a month to catch up but here are the things we can do and what you should focus on yada yada..."

Dear Devs,
    I'm pleading with you here. Please look at this from the players perspective. I want my friends to come play, I want new people just getting into the game to come play, I do not want to have them discouraged at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishimui View Post
    It's already heartbreaking that one of our Guildies, our good friends, come back to the game excited to play and hear them say, "I'm going to put in a lot of work, hopefully it won't take too long to catch up to you guys so we can play again." Do you know how truly heart-wrenching it is to tell a friend, "Sorry but you're always going to be 5-6months behind just because that's how long it takes to upgrade your weapon." I've tried my absolute best to say that in a way that isn't overwhelming to them, but each time it always ends the same way, that's one less friend playing Rift with me and that just makes me sad.
    TRUTH. Amirite?

I think everything has been said here, and with perfect analysis.
    Well done Ishimui, I hope devs hear you and do something.

In my guild we already have people trying to catch up, and the gap between those who have the eternal and those (even with better gear for other pieces) who don't have it is 50%...
    Something needs to be done to reduce this grind and shorten the time it takes, because we know now that balance will not be done, and eternal will be the only meaningful thing until 5.0...

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Rift Disciple

Default Alts...

I know a lot of people aren't playing or gearing alts because of the eternal weapon.

How about a "catch-up" where you get a 'token' or quest item that's BoA and lets you skip some of the beginning stages of the Eternal weapon?

Soulwalker

All of these are good suggestions. Perhaps making it so getting an eternal weapon gives you a token across all characters that can be used upon reaching level 70 to give the eternal weapon, lowering requirements to 8 T1 boss kills for the final stage, and giving Wicket at the start would make the Eternal grind bearable. The intel grind is bad enough for people who have been playing since 4.1 or earlier, how the hell is anyone supposed to enjoy doing that AND the eternal grind?
    Last edited by SlvrdllrGB; 12-12-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Isp
    Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrdllrGB View Post
    and giving Wicket at the start
    Wicket has to be only once, minions are region wide, but nothing else is going to change. There were countless threads without any result. Grind is the main content now, expect more of it, not less.
    Last edited by Isp; 12-13-2017 at 04:35 AM.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

+ Reply to Thread