+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Seshatar
  • 1 Post By Slipmat
  • 1 Post By Mordrahan
  • 1 Post By Fia

Thread: A new tutorial

Default A new tutorial

When I start a new game, the first minutes of gameplay decide if I continue or uninstall the game. In RIFT that would be the tutorial and I do not think it reflect RIFTs current gameplay and graphics at all anymore. Therefore I'd love to see either a complete overhaul of the current tutorials (new textures, models and quest design) or brand new tutorials. For nostalgia reasons, maybe you can offer the new or the classic tutorial as options, with the new tutorial being recommended/the standard option, so the old one won't get lost for those who want to play it.

The overhauled/new tutorial should have badass encounters, modern quest and gameplay design. Maybe take Tartaric Depths, change the boss encounters to make a solo fight possible and add some quest givers and carnage mobs in all the empty space between the bosses. At the end at Mallanon you die and lose most of your powers, so you start off as a weakling after, but know what awaits you when you regained your power on max level again.

Any thoughts?
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | Heroes of Telara Discord | Extra Life 2017

>>> MONTHLY RIFT GIVEAWAYS <<<

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

I don't think a battle against Malannon makes sense lore-wise. However, a complete overhaul of the current tutorial storyline alongside updated graphics would help a lot. Throw in carnages, have an NPC tag along with the player to help explain the situation, and ensure that the player has to complete an entire Rift to clear the tutorial before starting in the Mathosia world map.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

At the start of Rift the tutorial zone and Silverwood/Freemarch had a lot more quests and mobs weren't 'yellow' in the start zone, unfortunately it got nerfed into the ground to 'streamline' the experience and is now just a shadow of what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    At the start of Rift the tutorial zone and Silverwood/Freemarch had a lot more quests and mobs weren't 'yellow' in the start zone, unfortunately it got nerfed into the ground to 'streamline' the experience and is now just a shadow of what it was.
    Yes, this is the reason why the initial zone feels so easy and why new players rush through it without really understanding the lore.

The gameplay part of the tutorial is ok.
    Graphics were updated when Terminus was reworked, and it is good, but we lost many quests and lore in the process. First thing to change in Terminus should be put back the spawn point in the back chambers of the Ark.
    Maybe the guardian zone could have better graphics, but the original tutorial zones had a true story and real challenge, they still give a good feel of the game, but they could be better if they had some challenge back.

Including some instanced raid-like boss in this newbie zone would be a disaster. You really want all newbies to experiment some solo steel maze combat and run away? These things are end-game content, and this is why MMORPGs have the leveling road to learn to play.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 11-07-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    When I start a new game, the first minutes of gameplay decide if I continue or uninstall the game. [...]

Any thoughts?
    I suggested some time ago that I would love to see a system where you could level up as a mix of doing IAs and a few nice story quests, at something like a ratio of 70% IAs and 30% story quests. The reason being that imo stories can be really awesomely told via IAs (look at MoM IA, it's simply amazing!) and IAs enable players not only to read but to feel the stories. To counter an endless IA grind though, we would need a lot of new IAs (maybe a dozen or so) as well as some really cool story quests thrown inbetween in order to keep the leveling experience nice and spicy. :D

Additionally a revamped entry zone from level 1-10 would be really cool, too. * - *
    Last edited by Fia; 11-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

New 4K 21:9-Ratio Videos: http://youtube.com/astheatv

Quote Originally Posted by Fia View Post
    we would need a lot of new IAs (maybe a dozen or so)
    They did have plans for IAs set inside more raids like Infernal Dawn and Plane Breaker Bastion, Tacitus even mentioned it on a few streams, but guess time restraints, lack of resources ended up with those getting put on the back burner, possibly to never come out.

Not sure raid encounters are what I would consider a tutorial for a game I was about to begin but maybe there needs to be staggered tutorials at different levels so players know they are on track? Beginner tutorial, level 50/65 and level 70 or just start players in Ember Isles at Level 50 and use puzzles, IA's, chronicles and LFR as ways to earn extra XP (as referred to in the other thread.) The way tutorials were in chronicles are good.

I have watched streamers do the tutorial at Level 65 after taking the boost and they found it confusing wanting to get out of that instance asap, have you guys done that tutorial?
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-08-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I have watched streamers do the tutorial at Level 65 after taking the boost and they found it confusing wanting to get out of that instance asap, have you guys done that tutorial?
    Boosted a new char on NA shards with the level 65 pack, faint memory of that instance being the Tower of Dawn, the part of the story line where you fight Salvarola and watch the Prince and Princess get crowned.

New Tutorials
    Remove: Current one
    Add: Chronicles - Easiest to most difficult to follow the lore and prepare you for future content difficult tasks
    **Make them all 1 or 2 player. 2 player being more difficult.

New Instant Adventures
    Easy Mode: Quest type (leave them for the casual people that enjoy them)
    Normal Mode: That one instance with the rifts and bosses.
    Hard Mode: Old Dungeons.
    Master Mode: Old raids but made easier to experience the atmosphere/mechanics.
    Intrepid Mode: Current raids but made easier to experience the atmosphere/mechanics.

LFR: Stays the same.

Something like that anyway.

That way all old content can continue to be useful as long as it's scaled properly with the mentor system etc. and new content (dungeons and raids) can be relevant to current expansion.
    Last edited by Carox; 11-08-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    <3 Your friendly RIFT community member,
    Carox

Quote Originally Posted by Carox View Post
    New Tutorials
    Remove: Current one
    Add: Chronicles - Easiest to most difficult to follow the lore and prepare you for future content difficult tasks
    **Make them all 1 or 2 player. 2 player being more difficult.

New Instant Adventures
    Easy Mode: Quest type (leave them for the casual people that enjoy them)
    Normal Mode: That one instance with the rifts and bosses.
    Hard Mode: Old Dungeons.
    Master Mode: Old raids but made easier to experience the atmosphere/mechanics.
    Intrepid Mode: Current raids but made easier to experience the atmosphere/mechanics.

LFR: Stays the same.

Something like that anyway.

That way all old content can continue to be useful as long as it's scaled properly with the mentor system etc. and new content (dungeons and raids) can be relevant to current expansion.
    So you want to destroy the open world content?
    What you describe is a totally different game. Go play some MOBA if you only want to play few people quick instanced content. RIFT is not this kind of game. MMORPG means something.

And make the first thing a new player sees be a solo instanced thing ? really? in a MMO?

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    So you want to destroy the open world content?
    What you describe is a totally different game. Go play some MOBA if you only want to play few people quick instanced content. RIFT is not this kind of game. MMORPG means something.

And make the first thing a new player sees be a solo instanced thing ? really? in a MMO?
    I was trying to make chronicles useful again. Excuse me. You don't need to get nasty with me for suggesting something in a suggestion thread. I'm not by any means demanding it be that way hence why I said "Something like that" after everything I said implying it was just an idea. However, I did say that it would be 1-2 player chronicles to queue for. It's not as though you're not doing tutorial quests ALONE anyway despite others around you unless you join a pubic group with them and I did say that there was instant adventure open world questing to queue for once tutorial was done...

All that aside, I understand that open world should be an important thing and my idea is better than them buying a level 65 boost and skipping it entirely so it would also make lower level content viable again especially if they removed the boosts from the store and saved them as a perk for when you buy expansion packs for perks.
    Last edited by Carox; 11-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Carox

Quote Originally Posted by Carox View Post
    However, I did say that it would be 1-2 player chronicles. It's not as though you're not doing tutorial quests ALONE anyway and I did say that there was instant adventure questing to queue for once tutorial was done...
    Sorry for seeming rude, but I hate seeing people wanting more and more instanced content with limited people in replacement for open world content.
    IAs are already very invasive, we don't need them to expand more and kill what is left of the whole game and of player's freedom to explore the world/ play old content.

And no, tutorial quests in noob zones are not made alone. You can group if you want, and you see other people around.
    Being stuck in a solo instance from begining would be a very bad way to introduce new players in a MMO. Adding to it a direct queue for IA grind is a very narrowed vision of what RIFT has to offer.
    These are the kind of changes that lead to people not leaving capitals and to an empty world.

For chronicles, those existing could be all made 1 OR 2 players (player choice), and used for mentored weekly quests. But this is complex content not made for begining players, there was a reason chronicles began at level 50.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 11-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Sorry for seeming rude, but I hate seeing people wanting more and more instanced content with limited people in replacement for open world content.
    IAs are already very invasive, we don't need them to expand more and kill what is left of the whole game and of player's freedom to explore the world/ play old content.

And no, tutorial quests in noob zones are not made alone. You can group if you want, and you see other people around.
    Being stuck in a solo instance from begining would be a very bad way to introduce new players in a MMO. Adding to it a direct queue for IA grind is a very narrowed vision of what RIFT has to offer.
    These are the kind of changes that lead to people not leaving capitals and to an empty world.
    I understand your view entirely. You're just as passionate to revive things that are dead as I am. I would've suggested an entirely new chronicle for level 70's to do like they did in NMT and previous expansions if I thought they would even consider it to revive that option of the game but they probably won't so I digress.
    Last edited by Carox; 11-08-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Carox

+ Reply to Thread