+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RabidClarkian
  • 1 Post By Slipmat

Thread: Low Level Zone Events

Soulwalker

Default Low Level Zone Events

Rift has always been a favorite MMORPG for me. I remember back in the days of beta when a bunch of people would be defending Sanctum against 1000s of planar creatures. I think it would be cool if some things were done to make the low-level zones more relevant. I admit that Rift has done a better job of this than most MMOs because I do still see high-level players playing low-level content.

All of this being said, I think I have an idea that could make this better. I think it would be cool to have scheduled events where a certain zone will have an event at a certain time. Those who participate would be rewarded with higher-than-normal drop rates for rare items, equipment, and increased currency rewards (high level players would need to scale down to an appropriate level to reap this benefit). The size of the event could be proportional to the number of players in that server at any given time. I think it would be good for the community in between updates and seasonal events.

IMO, Rifts and the zone events that stem from them are one of the most interesting features in Rift. I would love to see ways to help make them a relevant part of the game across the entire spectrum of levels. The game is great as it is, but I feel that I would enjoy it more if something like this were implemented.
    Last edited by RabidClarkian; 04-03-2017 at 07:21 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

A while back, not sure was it before Storm Legion launched or just before they opened the Dendrome zone, but Sanctum and Meridian would come under attack from swarms of Architects (the bug mobs) and it was awesome, there were spots to defend, mini bosses to kill, big, bad boss at the end.

Best of all it was all phased so if you wanted to be a slacker and sit on your mount at the mailbox you didn't even notice all this happening, then it got switched off for "adjustments" and was never seen again.

They could easily incorporate the current Expansion by having attacks on Sanctum and Meridian by Tuath'De raiding parties or even some Ahnket constructs on scouting missions.

Shadowlander

I agree that the low level zone events can still be fun but have problems.

One of the big problems with low level zone events is one or a few high level players come in, don't mentor down and very quickly complete the event. Low level players can't even get credit for many kills because the high level players one shot everything.

The low level zones could use some improvements. Even without the above problem, the distances are often too great and the teleport stations too few to move quickly to the boss. The boss fight is the climax of the event but I often can't get there until the boss is dead.

In Silverwood, for example, another teleport pad at Silver's Landing would help a lot as that area is not close to existing teleport pads.

Another problem for at-level players in low level zones is that they have only 3 planar charges and no way to recharge except closing rifts. You upgrade one wardstone, and you are out of charges. Why not add some planar recharge crystals in the low level zones. They are very common in the 50+ zones.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    I agree that the low level zone events can still be fun but have problems.

One of the big problems with low level zone events is one or a few high level players come in, don't mentor down and very quickly complete the event. Low level players can't even get credit for many kills because the high level players one shot everything.

The low level zones could use some improvements. Even without the above problem, the distances are often too great and the teleport stations too few to move quickly to the boss. The boss fight is the climax of the event but I often can't get there until the boss is dead.

In Silverwood, for example, another teleport pad at Silver's Landing would help a lot as that area is not close to existing teleport pads.

Another problem for at-level players in low level zones is that they have only 3 planar charges and no way to recharge except closing rifts. You upgrade one wardstone, and you are out of charges. Why not add some planar recharge crystals in the low level zones. They are very common in the 50+ zones.
    I've seen high-level players come into low level zone events and complete the whole thing in a matter of minutes. It would be controversial, but I think the best way to deal with this is to adjust everyone's level when these events occur.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    A while back, not sure was it before Storm Legion launched or just before they opened the Dendrome zone, but Sanctum and Meridian would come under attack from swarms of Architects (the bug mobs) and it was awesome, there were spots to defend, mini bosses to kill, big, bad boss at the end.

Best of all it was all phased so if you wanted to be a slacker and sit on your mount at the mailbox you didn't even notice all this happening, then it got switched off for "adjustments" and was never seen again.

They could easily incorporate the current Expansion by having attacks on Sanctum and Meridian by Tuath'De raiding parties or even some Ahnket constructs on scouting missions.
    I remember mobs right at the door of capital cities when I played in beta. That really was a good time, and I think that the capital cities should be a point of focus for many of the events that I'm describing. I think it would help make the capital cities more populated as well.

I did forget to mention in my original post that it would probably help if employees who focus on the community would participate in these scheduled events as well. I think that alone would attract a lot of people.

Thankfully, I've seen a few fixes to the issue of high lvl players swooping in and killing everything very quickly. At least, for bosses anyway. I noticed that when my lvl 60 character goes to Silverwood to do a zone event, she can't hit the boss for more than 1-2 dmg. By mousing over the boss's buffs, or was it my own, I can't remember? I saw that there was a specific buff that mentioned that I couldn't do diddly squat to the boss as far as dps goes until I mentored down to an appropriate lvl for that zone event!

I think that's an awesome idea, and fair for everyone. I'm not sure if this is only for specific zone events, and/or only for the last boss, but it would be helpful for your suggestion to have this implemented on it. I too remember the good old days of being swarmed repeatedly by hordes of invaders. It was fun, and it was frustrating, and it was sometimes stressful, but I still remember it fondly lol!

Anyone remember the early days when 2 zone events would spawn at the same time??? That was actually really neat too!!

But expansion specific special events in low lvl zones would be so fun! Would definitely give bored high lvls something to shoot for.

PS: We need more incentive for players to do things at end game. We need more end game! I needs a carrot to follow!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post

Yes! ^^ Those were so much fun! Also, the PVP events where Sanctum or Meridian were assaulted were great fun.

I think they should just schedule those in standard between the festivities.

+ Reply to Thread