Like Tree20Likes
  • 17 Post By Foghladha
  • 1 Post By Briseadh
  • 1 Post By KittyMauge
  • 1 Post By Varder

Thread: [QOL Suggestion] Guild Finder UI - Active Members

Default [QOL Suggestion] Guild Finder UI - Active Members

Greetings,

This has been one of the changes I've wanted to see since launch.

When a user presses Shift + G they open the Guild Finder window which lists Guilds by "Active Members"

Now Active Members is not actually active members. It's really "How many characters are in the guild". It has nothing to do with how many members are actually active.

Would it be possible to:

A: Change the wording "Active Members" to "Characters"

or

B: Display Active Members as the Number of Characters that have logged in over the past 30 days. Even better would be the number of unique accounts.

The Problem with the Current UI
    As it stands now there are several guilds at the top of the list that are not active at all anymore, yet guilds who are are listed at the bottom because they can't compete with the thousand or so characters that no longer log into game.

The current mechanic encourages guilds to fill their guilds with characters to show up higher on the list. It gives a deceptive look at activity. By either changing this to Characters or by actually limiting the number to the people who have recently logged in we could have a much more user friendly experience and allow new players to find guilds that are actively playing rift instead of a handful of guilds that are no longer playing.
    Last edited by Foghladha; 02-06-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Soulwalker

This makes a lot more sense. When I get into a game and I'm not going there with friends, I want to know what guilds are active. I want quality over quantity.

I think it would be great if there was an activity meter to list the last time someone played. I know totally changing to account rather than staying at character tracking would be a huge programming pain. Even if someone has lots of alts, at least if they are playing, the active character would show up as an active character.

So much like the suggestion of this post - Active Characters should show as having at least played in the last 30 days. This way a player looking for a guild finds one with people in it that are actually playing. Even if I have six characters with five of them in one guild, I would not be upset at all if the couple I don't play as much don't show up on the count. I'd have at least two on there regularly the way I play, maybe four if I get back into the crafting stuff.

I rather not see you just change the wording and leave it as is because that will still leave inactive guilds on the first page. That would, in my opinion, be the lazy answer.

Here's to seeing this help guild seekers in the future find more easily an active crew they love playing with. After all, one major appeal of MMO's is the socializing you can acquire and community you can build.
    Last edited by Briseadh; 02-07-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Soulwalker

Yeah, this is an awesome idea, nobody wants to join a graveyard of inactive users and a list of offline players, we need to know who has active, alive, and kicking people

I wonder if its possible also to have Rift automatically remove accounts from a guild that have been inactive for say 3 months or 6 months? If the person or alt comes back, they could just contact that guild and I am sure get invites back, but it would keep accounting better.

I like your idea and its much more accurate.. We still have members in our guild that have not logged in for like 4 years.. It takes a while to kick them one by one.
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raider for life!"

Shadowlander

It would be a more accurate representation for what the Finder is supposed to do for characters new to the game wanting to join a guild. Great idea Fog.
    v

Fim
    Soulwalker

Thumbs up I agree

I agree with this suggestion!

It would also more accurately reflect the games population...

Right now according to guild finder the 3 largest guilds on deepwood:

Soldier of Fortune: 5557 (Online: 2)
    Rift Crashers: 4970 (Online: 0)

Now admittedly its off hours but that's still a large chunk of players to have nobody on. BUT look at how it looks for new players. Thousands upon thousands of players in Rift

Imagine if the G-Finder showed unique accounts on in the past 30 days, how many would there be? The largest guild would maybe break 100-200? But new players could actively look at this and figure out which guild is still active.

This is a great idea and would definitely help players.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Quality of info-speaking, there are some nice suggestions here.
    When guild hunting in the past, I've compared the Guild Finder list to the Guild Search function and have found some of the large-numbered guilds to have very few people logged in after several days of checking.

It's pretty cool when our players have nice suggestions like these. When (if) the suggestions get implemented, makes the players feel like you are part of shaping the game.

Rift Master

While i like the idea, the only change i could see Trion make is the "A" one, but i don't think it would help much there or change anything. And might even bee to much effert to do as well .

The problem with the suggestion "B" is, it would show how many players the game has. While it would be interesting to see the numbers, i'm pretty sure Trion does not want us to know them (otherwise they wouldn't limit the class searches to 29). In the end it would probably harm the game more than help, if everyone can see that there's barely any players left in the game.

Soulwalker

Default Guild Finder - UI

I bet there are more players active than people realize. I for one hate logging into game on a shard Trion sets with 500 players at the bank. I can't see a thing I need and my poor little Scotty's wand will only sheep one player on a HUGE mount every few minutes.... lol

But I do agree with Foghlada Guild Finder could be put to better use. Maybe could also get rid of some of the spammed messages all over different channels advertising to join their guild. Sometimes they aren't easy to find with the UI.

Looks like its been updated to say "Characters" instead! Its a start! Thanks Trion!

+ Reply to Thread