+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual Zone Events

Soulwalker

Post Dual Zone Events

I just came up with this idea, so don't go accusing me of idea-stealing or whatever else you want to. I think that there should be zone events hat go on in 2 different zones, and require travel between the two. These zones should a: be right next to each other, and b: have a similar or not too far apart level range (or have the event mobs be an average between the level zones).
    A good template would be:
    Kill Plane 1 Invaders in Zone 1 amount/total
    Kill Plane 2 Invaders in Zone 2 amount/total
    Kill Plane 1 Invaders in Zone 2 amount/total less than above
    Kill Plane 2 Invaders in Zone 1 amount/total less than above
    Seal Plane 1 Rifts in Zone 1 amount/total
    etc.
    until Kill {boss} in Zone 1
    Kill {boss} n Zone 2
    If you have any questions about this, reply and I will answer them (?)!
    Akselny, Ace of Enigmas <Empires>, High Elf Rogue - Hailol

While I agree that this would be an interesting concept. I can't imagine the lag which could come from a system like this.

I think it would be too much trouble on the players' part for something that isn't really all that different from taking a porticulum to the other side of a zone to take down that far-off, last rift.

From the looks of it although the usual close x rifts, kill y invasions is kind of boring, it's easy and takes minimal effort. Look at zone events that are different and take a little more effort or a tiny bit more co-ordination - players tend to do them once or twice and then avoid them at all costs outside of boss tag.

Volan was an exception, but once you did it a few times it also lost its shine. The Leviathan gets at best 10 players doing the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    I think it would be too much trouble on the players' part for something that isn't really all that different from taking a porticulum to the other side of a zone to take down that far-off, last rift.

From the looks of it although the usual close x rifts, kill y invasions is kind of boring, it's easy and takes minimal effort. Look at zone events that are different and take a little more effort or a tiny bit more co-ordination - players tend to do them once or twice and then avoid them at all costs outside of boss tag.

Volan was an exception, but once you did it a few times it also lost its shine. The Leviathan gets at best 10 players doing the event.
    What would be interesting though is maybe event Mobs from Zone A attack Zone B. xD I might even take part in that event.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post

We all know the reason for this behaviour. Path of least resistance.

I have qq'ed about it in other threads as well. The current reward system for zone events is so back-ended that it is a major offender in efficiency to try and play "properly" (<- this word is subject to interpretation). During the Winter Festival quest, you were seeing players stacked in porticulums waiting for the boss to spawn just so that they tag it, then move on to the next one. In their view, they were actually good samaritans because doing as little damage as possible made the boss last longer therefore giving more players the opportunity to tag as well. I remember (but didn't screenshot) a player yelling during the Winter Festival in one case because the boss died before they could tag it.

Currently, a player that spends 2 mins of his time to run to the boss and tag it earns 67% of the Void Stones and 100% of quest items, seasonal items, marks of notoriety and PA crystals. The player that spends 15-20mins hunting rifts and invasions sometimes doesn't even get 40 void stones from both the rift and invasion parts sometimes (I have participated in closing FOUR rifts for a zone event and didn't get the 40 VS). The other rewards for participating in the event, ie. Planarite and PA XP, are negligible considering the ease of farming those two from other means.

So why Volan was an exception to this rule? I am too lazy to find my post exactly with the math, but it goes like this: Tagging final phase = 150 Infinity Stones and less than 1k Planarite. Doing the entire event = 840-960 Infinity stones and 7-9k Planarite. The "tagging" bonus in fact is approximately 15% of the total output of the event. The rewards were evenly spaced along a multiphase event, which meant that for maximum efficiency and taking into account the fact that it was very rare to have 2 Dreams of Blood and Bone happen at the same time in a shard cluster, players had to to do it all.

In-between note: This heavily back-ended reward system is also a reason why we have some players reach the VS cap with "ease". They have zone-event tracking addon on, and simply jump for the boss-tagging.

My suggestion remains the same. Since these events are 2 or 3 parters, simply space out the rewards throughout individual progressions in the event. Grant 3-5 VS per invasions killed up to 100. Grant 3-5 VS per rift stage completed. Reduce the VS from tagging the boss down to 10-20 and remove the VS reward from the completion of the event. This, in my opinion, would be more interesting and closer to the actual intent of the developers by incentivizing players to go and actively participate in the events instead of waiting to tag.

Another note: I noticed some events in the old world that required more rifts to be closed and more invasions, as well as spawning more bosses. What if we had those numbers upped in PoW events as well? Something like 12 Rifts and 200 Invasions, and 2 bosses?

+ Reply to Thread