+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Samuraiko
  • 2 Post By Salvatrix

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Implementing Phasing Tech a bit more in Old World content...?

Default Implementing Phasing Tech a bit more in Old World content...?

I'm not sure just how viable any of this would be on a purely technical level, but since we've seen just how effectively phasing tech is used in NT stuff (such as Ghar Station Tau in Tarken Glacier, and the appearance of Fortune's Shore in Shimmersand after completing Nightmare Coast), I'm wondering if this can be implemented a bit more back in Mathosia, especially.

For example:
    • Guardians who've played through Kain's storyline - removing him from Gloamwood, IPP, and Scarwood - Kain's guards are still there, but they might be a bit more demoralized, or else even more fervently dedicated to protecting Telara
    • Defiants who've gone through Uriel and Kira's storyline - removing them from their earlier zones
    • Tempest Bay - players who've gone through "A Hero Also Rises" maybe seeing Tempest Bay being rebuilt after the place got trashed thanks to the Storm Legion
    • Completing Greenscale's Blight (either the Chronicle or the full-on raid) - removing Hylas from Overwatch Keep
    • Completing Hammerknell (at least the Chronicle) - being able to freely enter at least the first hall of Hammerknell Fortress, now that the dwarves are establishing a garrison there

You get the idea. (Not to say that players can't go back and re-do dungeons or what-have-you, but maybe only by using the UI instead of just running over to it?) Not to mention we already see NPCs reacting differently to us after we complete certain things (for example, and I could be wrong here, that the guards in Sanctum kneel to you once you've finished the Ceremony of Attunement).

(Since Slivers are considered alternate realities, I don't think THOSE effects would show up in the 'real' world.)

I know, I know, it's probably a metric crapton of work, but I *REALLY* think it'd go a long way for showing the effect on the world that the players have for doing stuff.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

This kind of presentation, while potentially effective, is a ton of work to set up and adds a lot of bug potential. Going back and adding it to content that wasn't originally built with it in mind is particularly risky when contrasted to it being in a state that is working as it is.

Not saying it isn't a compelling idea - it is. I asked about doing just that when I did some of my old zone clean ups. But I was asked to not do so for the most part because of how much risk there is for breaking existing content. I did a little anyway - such as the broken temple in the ice and the roof of the chancel in Iron Pine. Oh, and the commander in the Chancel. But mostly I stayed hands off because of the risk and time.

Additionally, one of our rules in the content like this is to not present any combat content this way. It results in weirdness of players fighting mobs that other players cannot see (or help with). The most important thing is that we want players that may be in different steps of quest lines to still be able to hang out together and help each other. So your example of the Hammerknell might conflict with that goal.

Anyway, not saying the visibility pre-reqs will never happen in older content (because I do like the presentation) - just saying they are a high risk, high cost change. And that I would be the one doing it and my time is currently devoted to new chunks of IA content for 3.2 and 3.3.

I appreciate the very thorough and very honest answer. I'm glad to know that at least you'd considered the idea previously, but I completely understand that it's a very high-cost, high-risk implementation.

Still, hopefully in future, something like this might be a bit more viable.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

Default ....observant

...we already see NPCs reacting differently to us after we complete certain things (for example, and I could be wrong here, that the guards in Sanctum kneel to you once you've finished the Ceremony of Attunement).

Kudos to noticing that.
    o==(>>>>>>>> ODTEG <<<<<<<<)==o

Quote Originally Posted by Odteg View Post
    ...we already see NPCs reacting differently to us after we complete certain things (for example, and I could be wrong here, that the guards in Sanctum kneel to you once you've finished the Ceremony of Attunement).

Kudos to noticing that.
    Oh good, I was right!

I'm just glad that phasing is in Rift, and ...used rather intelligently in most cases. I enjoy it.

I agree with both OP and the dev here, and just have to say that if the time and will and resources exist, I'd also support some older content having these changes. I know it can be tricky, but my particular peeve is a NPC being in multiple places at once. Ugh, Miela.

This isn't a huge deal. I can take it - especially since I have more confidence about this thing for future content/expansions anyway. But still!

+ Reply to Thread