+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Odteg

Thread: New Trade: Drover

Default New Trade: Drover

"Drover" is a word related to one who raises animals.

I think you know where I might be going with this.

I'd like to see a trade skill that allows players to raise animals such as mounts, companions, and instance monsters.

It would be a trade skill that would have to be unlocked with a combination of player level, other trade skill level, quest, and dimension pre reqs.

So say you'd have to be lvl 55, grandmaster foraging and butchering, completion of a drover quest series, and have a drover dimension in order to breed animals.

It would require cooperation with other drovers. In order to breed any animal you, or the cooperating player would have to have one of the animals and another compatible animal. The animals would be deposited in a breeding dimension, and various resources (mats) would have to be "fed' them. The process would take time and the outcome would not be guaranteed. You could end up with various "babies".

An instance monster would be raised in a special drover dungeon dimension. Once the monster was up to strength, the dim owner could start an instance in which they could battle/slay the monster.

Anywho, I'm just a crafting nut and am getting close to Savanting out on all my trade skills and thought Drover would be a worthwhile edition.
    o==(>>>>>>>> ODTEG <<<<<<<<)==o

RIFT Fan Site Operator

We are just getting NPC's that move in Dimensions now that I'm unsure how this would go plus with ArcheAge how much Rift would would benefit from having something so similar to another Trion Worlds game (even if only publishing.) I'm also trying to feel out whether any of my characters would "fit" the Drover role and no I don't have any.

Not opposing just thinking out loud with you. With Defiance being technology minded something tech would perhaps suit our lore more than organic? Or a map maker that finds hidden artifact temples to suit the Guardians need to plan that last evil vs good battle?

Default Drover could apply to both Guardians and Defiants

Both Defiant and Guardian utilize "organic" trades like foraging, butchering, apothecary, and survivalist. So a trade that emphasizes droving doesn't seem like a far stretch for either side.

Defiants may be more technologically inclined, but they still use mounts and companion animals.

We have trades that can make virtually any commodity in the game. We even have recipes for minion's- a type of Rift animal. True, we can buy/acquire mounts and companions in game, but their remains no way to "craft" mounts and companions.

I would love to see Drover dims, but if there were creature stables that would function as the "crafting station" for this trade, you wouldn't have to invent new dims and dim functions. Drover would also be an advanced trade skill. It wouldn't be a more time consuming, resource demanding,1 trade that would require cooperation between players.

Drover's wouldn't be popping out mounts and companions at the rate weaponsmiths and armorers produce their wares. I don't play arch age and I don't want to turn Rift into Farmville. I just see this trade as a way for players to gain access to a commodity they currently have no means of producing. Plus I think it would be fun.

Thanks for the response, Kiwi. Nice to know someone actually reads these.
    Last edited by Odteg; 02-19-2015 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling

RIFT Fan Site Operator

No worries always fun to share ideas.

I would like a new class and new craft and was being general with a small amount of thought. Given some more time and since you don't play ArcheAge I will point out to have animals you need vehicles, large plots that need to be looked after, all the tools and feed to take care of these animals. Dimensions are also closed instances and I am unsure a "farming" type aesthetic would suit this feature.

In thinking about Rift some more a Keeper type trade would be awesome combining materials from all crafts to make special keys or glyphs to unlock boxes, extra special dimensions/items, secret missions that perhaps give special cosmetics/abilities to you, your mounts or companions.

Hmmm what you think? Thanks for sharing your idea.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 02-19-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Better, let's add in a system to modify the speed of the "animal/mech/mount" based upon how it is groomed/fed/raised/designed. Higher quality food and training yields a higher level mount that is faster and possibly other perks while riding it, such as being able to sniff out/locate special artifacts.

Also, why not add in an interactive user component, such as races? Consider it "pvp" but racing in an obstacle course instead of a warfront. Win more races, improve your mount's stats, etc. I guess this could be a stretch for an MMO but the minion system has added another layer of leveling, why not extend it to mounts.

Default Keeper>Drover

@ Kiwi

I’ll admit I like the term “Keeper” better than “Drover”. I still think the comparison to Arche Age isn’t perfect. Rift wouldn’t need all the things you listed to make Creatures something “craftable” through the Keeper trade. I also admit that the dimension components are probably wishful thinking on my part.

To really make a new trade, like Keeper work, I guess, like all the other trades, it would need to be item driven. I really like the idea of using items crafted from all the other trades.

I like your idea of special, keys, boxes, missions, etc.. I would hope the likelihood of actually getting a mount/companion from one of the boxes would be better than the luck I had with Arclight Troves (bough 5-no rider). I think this would be very true to the title of “Keeper”.

My original goal in suggesting the Keeper (yes, I’ve transitioned to the new title) was to come up with a means for players to produce mounts and companions. I still think that is a good idea and something, as a player I would want. But, I also really like Asianguywithacamera’s idea of simply introducing a means to modify mounts, and I’ll add, companion pets.

Mount Races would be cool, like he said. But the “hound” ability he mentioned I think is awesome. Maybe the ability to sniff out artifacts or other things. Not like the way the artifact potion patrons get where they see ALL the artifacts on the map, but maybe they just sniff out one at a time. Maybe the item doesn't show on the map at all and the hounding process relies on cues from the creature, There would be recharges limitations for the hounding ability. I’d love to be able to increase a mounts speed. Or just change its appearance, two color dye scheme (like with armor), maybe equip armor/harnesses/etc., tattoos, and individual names.

If we went the direction I originally intended, I still think it could work. The Keeper would need its own crafting station per se, like say a stable, or a “integration platform”. I really think it would be cool if the process required two players. Like I said, they would each bring a creature they already own, place it in the stable, or on the “integration platforms”, the button would be switched, and *poof* a new critter.

The way I see it working is each integration would cost x specific items, a recipe basically. I think there should be an element of chance in what the result of the integration would be. Items could be infused into the integration to up the odds of success or affect the nature of the resulting creature, if in fact a creature is successfully made.

Keeper A would keep the creature, Keeper B would be paid a fee from Keeper A ahead of time. So if the integration is successful, Keeper A keeps the critter. If it’s not successful, Keeper B still gets their fee.

TL;DR

Keeper>Drover

Asianguywithacamera has some great suggestions

Still would like Keeper crafting to require two players

Thanks for your time.

+ Reply to Thread