+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: IA's on FOLLOW

Default IA's on FOLLOW

Get rid of /follow. Too many times I see chars on mounts, on follow, while others are fighting a mob. They are not participating, but still earning a reward that others are fighting for.

NO /FOLLOW

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Not a bad idea. I will speak to an engineer to see how easily we can add this to the task list. A number of anti-leeching features are currently on the way for IA, probably for 3.2. I wouldn't mind adding this to that list, assuming I haven't already over-burdened engineering with all my IA requests.

I disagree that follow should be removed. I sometimes play both my toon and my husband's concurrently - especially on days when he has to work and cannot play. Both toons participate and both contribute but I'm controlling both and the follow command allows me to keep them together easier. We also use follow when he tanks and we decide to run through mobs rather than fight them. I use follow so my toon and his toon are not separated. Follow is also useful when we both play and one of us needs to afk for a minute and it helps keep our toons together during that brief absence. It's a very useful tool when used properly.

I do agree that being AFK for long stretches during IA's and still getting the rewards is unfair.
    Last edited by KatFiveKnives; 01-11-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Not a bad idea. .
    Agreed, it's a TERRIBLE idea .. /follow has several very useful and perfectly 'legit' uses, doing what the OP asks and removing /follow entirely is a TERRIBLE idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KatFiveKnives View Post
    I disagree that follow should be removed. I sometimes play both my toon and my husband's concurrently - especially on days when he has to work and cannot play. Both toons participate and both contribute but I'm controlling both and the follow command allows me to keep them together easier. We also use follow when he tanks and we decide to run through mobs rather than fight them. I use follow so my toon and his toon are not separated. Follow is also useful when we both play and one of us needs to afk for a minute and it helps keep our toons together during that brief absence. It's a very useful tool when used properly.
    When you play 2 chars at once, you either control both chars with the same keystrokes (which is not allowed) or you have one char being "afk" whenever you control the other. From what you wrote it seems the latter. But that is simply not how IA is intended to be played. If you were in a group with other people, you'd slow the IAs down, because you have 2 chars scaling it up, while you can only play one at a time, no matter how fast you swap between them. I think it's unreasonable to ask for an anti-AFK feature not to be implemented because you want to get rewards on 2 chars while slowing others down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Agreed, it's a TERRIBLE idea .. /follow has several very useful and perfectly 'legit' uses, doing what the OP asks and removing /follow entirely is a TERRIBLE idea.
    Oh come on, there's no "legit" use for the follow option in any IA related situation. It's always used by AFKers.

Champion of Telara

Actually, it's not the /follow that's the issue, it's the afking. A player need not be on /follow to be leeching, /follow is just a subset of the tools a leecher has in his disposal. A more "appropriate" action would be to check for movement/combat actions taken in the last 30, 60, 120 or whatever interval in seconds you (the developers) deem appropriate, and flag accordingly as "do not issue rewards to this player".

The game knows when a player is afk for 15mins by flagging them so, I believe there is the technology already available to detect afking by any interval. Simply modify this to a low value for instant adventures.

Yes, I know that someone could be on /follow and actually in front of his pc and simply chatting or doing minions or whatever. Removing /follow while in IAs could solve this. If it's possible to have both measures, that'd be ideal for the time being.

Ral
    Rift Master

I often play two characters at once, a marksman and a chloro. I do tab between windows but both contribute by cycling channeled abilities and do a considerable share of the IA while providing useful assistance to other members.

In some cases one "tanks" a mob while the other activates an objective speeding the IA up through teamwork rarely seen normally in an IA. Other times my healer keeps members of the IA alive while my dps character does far more then the average member.

I choose to do the IA's in Silverwood because even if I have 18 others afk I can easily tear through the IA myself, and do not mind at all.

Removing follow will make that impossible to aid the group in this way and instead I will simply take both in independently in pure dps spec and brute force my way through the IA without helping the other members to experience it. Most other members will not have enough time to even interact in the IA, especially on bosses which can be killed solo far faster then others can even reach it or on the more complex IA's at higher levels.

I don't like afk'n and leeching, which is why due to the "complex" mechanics in Nightmare Rifts (consider Undertow with two characters) I stopped using both characters and now use them independently. IA's however lack these more complex mechanics at the low to mid levels so I don't feel I am leeching by using both characters. If the mechanics become to difficult to effectively use both, I will usually do them one at a time, but this has not been my experience in at least silverwood/freemarch and gloamwood.

Not all uses of follow are a detriment and this will not prevent people from AFK'n through the IA. I could just as easily leave one character nearby semi-afk while the first completes the objectives and they both get credit, I could also back and forth them reducing my effectiveness. Instead I actively use both to heal and dps simultaneously and focusing on whichever is in greater need aiding the IA group and allow others to participate.

Again, removing auto follow will not fix the underlying problem of people leeching, only remove a useful tool.
    Last edited by Ral; 01-12-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Telaran

Personally I'd love to see it removed from IAs but would be more than happy to meet in the middle and have some other ability to force someone off follow. It wouldn't completely remove leeches but at latest each of us could stop someone from following us.
    Hey look, I'm a marksman

if I saw someone using follow on me, and I was doing IA's in Silverwood and they were defiant, I'd probably drag them to a surprise at Sanctum Watch...
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Not a bad idea. I will speak to an engineer to see how easily we can add this to the task list. A number of anti-leeching features are currently on the way for IA, probably for 3.2. I wouldn't mind adding this to that list, assuming I haven't already over-burdened engineering with all my IA requests.
    Oh thank god

Plane Touched

That's a very heavy-handed response.

While the OP may be using a small sample size to imply correlation, there is absolutely no data to prove correlation.

/follow is a very useful tool in Rift in many situation and there is no proof that it causes more AFK members in IA's. By all means Trion should look for methods to remove non-productive members from IA groups. Look for members that aren't actively engaged in killing mobs, clicking quest objectives, moving to new areas, etc. and remove them. But the use of /follow is a poor excuse for removing someone from an IA.

Soulwalker

Default Follow seems to be better for some.

My experience with Follow has been a FAIL. Follow only stays connected a few seconds and then I am NOT Following. I have had guild members Follow me and only if walking and making sure to stay away from any impediments, have they been able to stay on Follow.

Is Follow different for others?

Quote Originally Posted by Wali View Post
    That's a very heavy-handed response.

While the OP may be using a small sample size to imply correlation, there is absolutely no data to prove correlation.

/follow is a very useful tool in Rift in many situation and there is no proof that it causes more AFK members in IA's. By all means Trion should look for methods to remove non-productive members from IA groups. Look for members that aren't actively engaged in killing mobs, clicking quest objectives, moving to new areas, etc. and remove them. But the use of /follow is a poor excuse for removing someone from an IA.

I would agree with the last portion, but that could be a problem if we fight for objects and mobs.

Lots of 'its useful, its useful' comments. Can we start listing some cuz unless you are afk or leeching, I cant find a reason to use follow for anything. The whole, im playing two characters doesn't count as thats probably a low minority.

Open my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by TehBigCarp View Post
    Lots of 'its useful, its useful' comments. Can we start listing some cuz unless you are afk or leeching, I cant find a reason to use follow for anything. The whole, im playing two characters doesn't count as thats probably a low minority.

Open my mind...
    Hi, I don't post on the forums at all, or ever really... but I saw this thread and a lot of people wanting to remove a pretty needed feature for my grandfather who plays this game. Yeah, this is another minority post but he has recently suffered a stroke and still has some difficulties playing the game with more than 70% of his functions. /follow, especially in dungeons, really helps him in a lot of areas as he plays Tempest, which is basically all instant casts. For certain boss mechanics, for example Fetlorn in Iron Tombs, you need to Line of Sight Bone Theft by hiding behind a wall or something, is actually very difficult to do for him quickly, so he has me on follow and I run slightly earlier and further to keep his character away from the mechanic, as to not ruin it for other people. Like I said before, this is a minority post but removing this feature for him would cause physical pain in some cases, and make it a lot more difficult for us to play with others efficiently. Sorry for the long post and hope you can find some common ground with the /follow feature in IA's, and in general.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast