+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree16Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: IA's on FOLLOW

Just add an afk timer, u do nothing for say 1 minute u get kicked from IA and can't join for the next hour.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    When you play 2 chars at once, you either control both chars with the same keystrokes (which is not allowed) or you have one char being "afk" whenever you control the other. From what you wrote it seems the latter. But that is simply not how IA is intended to be played. If you were in a group with other people, you'd slow the IAs down, because you have 2 chars scaling it up, while you can only play one at a time, no matter how fast you swap between them. I think it's unreasonable to ask for an anti-AFK feature not to be implemented because you want to get rewards on 2 chars while slowing others down.

Oh come on, there's no "legit" use for the follow option in any IA related situation. It's always used by AFKers.
    Is that really not allowed? The other day there was a multiboxer in my NMR who claimed it's allowed.

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #33
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noaru View Post
    No I think that would be a VERY BAD idea. The actions of a few should not be used as an example to affect a larger whole. Especially when there are more preferred ways to deter leachers in Instant Adventures.

To be blunt; this seems like a very quick and rash decision to make. Such a problem should be solved via care and delicate analysis.
    As I said, we will not be doing the punishment on /follow.
    Last edited by Salvatrix; 02-08-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Shadowlander

Default Stop letting a few get rewards with no effort

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    As I said, we will not be doing the punishment on /follow.
    This is weak. There is NO reasonable reason to use /follow in IAs. Play ONE toon at a time and help complete the IAs. If you need to afk ( even for one minute) drop then come back when you are active. Stop leeching and complaining when they take away one of the easier ways to leech you lazy..leechers.

Trion I would like to see you take a much firmer stance on those who leech and/or bot. When a player runs across this it ruins their gaming experience by making them feel like a fool for actually working for rewards...no free carrots please.

Look as the leaderboards- bots are so easy to spot its ridiculous

Seems there's a bit too much taking IAs, and I guess leaderboards, a bit too seriously going on. Sit back for a moment and ask, "What is someone gaining from this?" As has been noted, inactive players are kicked after 2 IAs. Some further features are in the works, too. On the other hand, we've got people waving pitchforks and torches saying someone shouldn't be able to IA for an hour because they dare step AFK for a moment and choose not to, or perhaps forget to, leave the group. I'm sorry, but get over yourselves. This is very much stepping from casual into the realm of hyper-competitive rectum-retentive tier.

Understandably, the number of people in a group determine both a difficulty and which possible IAs get rolled. I can see why people get mad if, for whatever reason, leechers outweigh the contributors. Yet if I were to be like, "Hey, my dog wants out. Mind if I follow you a moment?" and I'm met with hostility and the demand to drop, well, you can bet you're the kind of player I don't want to be helping out. Because realistically, me putting my dog out takes a couple minutes between walking to the other end of the house, making sure nothing's going on outside, then chaining him up. There's also the possibility that on the way back I may decide to grab a drink or throw something in the microwave, adding even more time to the equation. In knowing when he was last out, I may also not immediately come back because all he'll do is pee and want back in a minute later. Still, this is a process that can take 5 minutes, maybe more, before introducing other wildcards like the phone ringing, my own bathroom break, etc.. I realize, hey, I'm a human doing human things and I'm not going to flip my lid when the same things happen to others.

So, what kind of behind-the-scenes safeguards should we expect? Well, I imagine on top of the 2 IA rule, they'll check for contributing to objectives or actually engaging in (possibly related) fights. I've done enough IAs, however, to realize that sometimes maybe a new one starts with you too far away to catch up to the next in time, especially if overgeared players are involved. You're not idle, mind, but from a purely mechanical standpoint, you're not contributing and maybe even making the next set harder. So, I imagine another safeguard will involve tracking the inactive folk in order to not pump up the IA difficulty or pick a harder path. If someone's truly idle or just following, they'll eventually get caught in the 2 IA kick. On the other hand, with gaming mice or keyboards, it's pretty easy to fool the system. Might not be allowed, but good luck catching the smart folk without something like periodic anti-bot checks (enter code on a randomized keypad, etc.) for teleport queues or something

Still, seems like a lot of rage for what's mostly (P)EXP and some odd loot here and there. Simmer down and approach this more logically, not to mention fairly.

Champion of Telara

The main issue is that there is absolute no way of telling if someone is afk due to a legitimate reason or because they simply want to leech. You can't treat everyone who is afk as doing it intentionally, nor should the reprecussions be severe. But at the same time, even if a player is afk due to a legitimate reason and therefore not controlling their character, why should they be still earning rewards?

Counting activity isn't representative. You can have a player trying to get from one place to another to catch up with his 60% mount while the mentored 65s move around at 300%+ speed and kill everything within 2 seconds of engagement. Saying that the newer player shouldn't be rewarded is both entirely correct and entirely wrong. He tried but didn't manage to contribute

And then we also have the other end of the spectrum. A player gets to the objective, simply tags it, then wait for everyone else to complete it while he alt-tabs to facebook or runs to somewhere else (sounds familiar with zone events?). Objectively he contributed, even if minimal, but at the same time, if you were in his room and saw what he did and had the power to decide if he'd get rewarded or not, would you do it?

And then there's the other issue with Instant Adventures, which is kind of the same with Rifts: Content scales according to participating members. Having one afk member every 3 or 4 isn't exactly noticeable because the combined group power far exceeds the scaling, but if you are in a group of 5 with 3 of them being semi-afk, then the 2 of you trying to get those 30 adventures done for the week are going to need more time than you hoped to.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sezex View Post
    Just add an afk timer, u do nothing for say 1 minute u get kicked from IA and can't join for the next hour.
    get kicked is OK, but "can't join for the next hour" is a stupid thinking.

Everything can happen leading to afk in 1 minute: bad connection, game crash, computer error, making coffee, having a phone call...

Prophet of Telara

I'd be interested in seeing what sort of solution Trion has to the proud leechers who gleefully regale the raid channel with details of exactly how they are deliberately leeching. How they make sure to use their smallest, weakest attack to tag the smallest, weakest mob every other IA so they don't get kicked - and then tell everyone about it. Throw in gloats over how they're technically not AFK and therefore neither the current system nor the other people in the IA can do squat about it except leave the IA group, and then the random IA finder will just put them right back in it.

I've seen that a few times on both NA and EU servers recently.
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Islesi View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing what sort of solution Trion has to the proud leechers who gleefully regale the raid channel with details of exactly how they are deliberately leeching. How they make sure to use their smallest, weakest attack to tag the smallest, weakest mob every other IA so they don't get kicked - and then tell everyone about it. Throw in gloats over how they're technically not AFK and therefore neither the current system nor the other people in the IA can do squat about it except leave the IA group, and then the random IA finder will just put them right back in it.

I've seen that a few times on both NA and EU servers recently.
    I don't think you actually need to tag a mob every other IA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmir View Post
    I don't think you actually need to tag a mob every other IA right now.
    If you do not participate in every other IA, at the end of the "third" IA you will get kicked.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    If you do not participate in every other IA, at the end of the "third" IA you will get kicked.
    Ah, so it's 3 IAs in a row. That's possible.

I often spend some IA without finding any mob, and I'm sure it sometimes happens twice in a row, but probably not 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    When you play 2 chars at once, you either control both chars with the same keystrokes (which is not allowed) or you have one char being "afk" whenever you control the other. From what you wrote it seems the latter. But that is simply not how IA is intended to be played. If you were in a group with other people, you'd slow the IAs down, because you have 2 chars scaling it up, while you can only play one at a time, no matter how fast you swap between them. I think it's unreasonable to ask for an anti-AFK feature not to be implemented because you want to get rewards on 2 chars while slowing others down.

I don't slow anybody down. I can have both up at the same time, on the same screen, and it takes an instant to click back and forth. I can use a spell that has some cast time or that take a few seconds to complete so both are contributing approximately the same as if being played by separate people. Additionally I run the quests that are in low areas (we mentor down) where the quests are completed very quickly - most of the time the bosses are downed before before most of the raid even arrives. So.. no, your assumptions are not correct. Nobody is being slowed at all. Additionally it's a very rare situation that only comes up a few times a year. It's a convenience for us that I would like to keep.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Not a bad idea. I will speak to an engineer to see how easily we can add this to the task list. A number of anti-leeching features are currently on the way for IA, probably for 3.2. I wouldn't mind adding this to that list, assuming I haven't already over-burdened engineering with all my IA requests.
    Can u explain those measures

Maybe an IA-zone-distance-EXP-meter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3