+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43
Like Tree16Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: IA's on FOLLOW

  1. #16
    Plane Touched TehBigCarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryseven View Post
    Hi, I don't post on the forums at all, or ever really... but I saw this thread and a lot of people wanting to remove a pretty needed feature for my grandfather who plays this game. Yeah, this is another minority post but he has recently suffered a stroke and still has some difficulties playing the game with more than 70% of his functions. /follow, especially in dungeons, really helps him in a lot of areas as he plays Tempest, which is basically all instant casts. For certain boss mechanics, for example Fetlorn in Iron Tombs, you need to Line of Sight Bone Theft by hiding behind a wall or something, is actually very difficult to do for him quickly, so he has me on follow and I run slightly earlier and further to keep his character away from the mechanic, as to not ruin it for other people. Like I said before, this is a minority post but removing this feature for him would cause physical pain in some cases, and make it a lot more difficult for us to play with others efficiently. Sorry for the long post and hope you can find some common ground with the /follow feature in IA's, and in general.
    That's pretty nifty, Thanks for sharing

  2. #17
    Rift Chaser Tigsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fryseven View Post
    Hi, I don't post on the forums at all, or ever really... but I saw this thread and a lot of people wanting to remove a pretty needed feature for my grandfather who plays this game. Yeah, this is another minority post but he has recently suffered a stroke and still has some difficulties playing the game with more than 70% of his functions. /follow, especially in dungeons, really helps him in a lot of areas as he plays Tempest, which is basically all instant casts. For certain boss mechanics, for example Fetlorn in Iron Tombs, you need to Line of Sight Bone Theft by hiding behind a wall or something, is actually very difficult to do for him quickly, so he has me on follow and I run slightly earlier and further to keep his character away from the mechanic, as to not ruin it for other people. Like I said before, this is a minority post but removing this feature for him would cause physical pain in some cases, and make it a lot more difficult for us to play with others efficiently. Sorry for the long post and hope you can find some common ground with the /follow feature in IA's, and in general.
    The suggestion, although I dont agree with it, is for Instant Adventures only, as they do with Conquest, follow is turned off, this should be just for IAs.

    The reason I dont agree with the suggestion, my wife and I game together, sometimes its IAs, and sometimes, it doesnt port you to near the area of the next adventure, so its a long haul, one of us puts the other on follow and that person goes and grabs us something from the kitchen either drinks or snacks while the other gets us to the IA area, its not long, but not being able to do that, would force me to not participate in 1 IA cause i couldnt get there fast enough. Can it be abused, certainly, but I havent seen that since early 2.0 during IAs.

    just my POV.

  3. #18
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    I love how everyone in this thread is assuming that they are going to remove follow from the game...

    This is an IA specific issue and the Dev clearly indicated that this is an IA specific fix.

    /follow should not be allowed in IA's when every person who is in the group adds more work for those who are participating

  4. #19
    Ascendant Techie Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,122

    Default

    The IA system already automatically removes players if they have not participated in the last two adventures. I'm not sure how disabling follow would really change things. Players who /follow have to tag something every two in order to stay in the group anyway.


  5. #20
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    The IA system already automatically removes players if they have not participated in the last two adventures. I'm not sure how disabling follow would really change things. Players who /follow have to tag something every two in order to stay in the group anyway.
    Agreed but people still do that and also do it to annoy people. I've had numerous people obviously at their keyboard but for some reason they felt compelled to put me in follow.
    Hey look, I'm a marksman

  6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #21
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    Thank you for the feedback in this discussion, everyone.

    Based on what I have read here, I will leave /follow as is for now. The other measures we are already adding should deal with the leeching that /follow permits. Disabling following would have just been a redundant measure (but redundancy can be nice for such things).

    IA is intended to be very casual approachable, so we can leave follow in for now and evaluate later after the other measures go Live.

    But we do intend to be a bit heavier handed with leechers/afkers, including adding deserter style debuffs to those that get kicked under the new measures.

  7. #22
    Rift Master Grrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francinex14 View Post
    My experience with Follow has been a FAIL. Follow only stays connected a few seconds and then I am NOT Following. I have had guild members Follow me and only if walking and making sure to stay away from any impediments, have they been able to stay on Follow.

    Is Follow different for others?
    from my experience.. you could have 5 characters with 150% mounts, but they can all have different pa buffs, self buffs, etc. That will break follow within a few seconds of running even if you are mentored.. (mentoring gives a run speed buff but it doesnt factor in pa speed boosts)
    Grl / Grrrl / Grrrrl / Grrrrrl @Deepwood <Hello Kitty> Grrrrl / Grl @Zaviel and probably more...

    RETIRED

  8. #23
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Seriously when you want to leech IAs there are faster ways then /follow
    Way faster ways.

    But i came here to correct this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    When you play 2 chars at once, you either control both chars with the same keystrokes (which is not allowed)[...]
    You are totaly wrong. In fact it is not only tolerated, it is allowed by Trion. They stated very clearly that it even is okay to use 3rd party applications for multiboxing as long as there are no automatic actions performed by the computer (bot).

    Trions rule is pretty easy.
    As long as there is a human controlling the characters (no matter how many, no matter in what way, no matter with what mouse or keyboard) and there is no computerbased controlling (bot) or an abused exploit, it is legit and allowed.
    Last edited by esc2heaven; 01-14-2015 at 12:00 AM.

  9. #24
    Rift Chaser Xnats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Hopefully you will review this in the future. Redundancy is a good things and those that are against disabling /follow are all saying they like it and or need so they can afk a few seconds. I don't do to many IA but queus seem instant most of the time. If you need to go get a drink or hit the head, do it before you que. There is nothing worse then doing these and only having half the group pulling their weight and doing what they are suppost to do when they clicked to join the adventures.
    Corinze@Wolfsbane

  10. #25
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Thank you for the feedback in this discussion, everyone.

    Based on what I have read here, I will leave /follow as is for now. The other measures we are already adding should deal with the leeching that /follow permits. Disabling following would have just been a redundant measure (but redundancy can be nice for such things).

    IA is intended to be very casual approachable, so we can leave follow in for now and evaluate later after the other measures go Live.

    But we do intend to be a bit heavier handed with leechers/afkers, including adding deserter style debuffs to those that get kicked under the new measures.
    How about an option to kick someone following me? Better yet, how about disabling follow when someone is on ignore?
    Hey look, I'm a marksman

  11. #26
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    The better solution is thus:

    1. Disable normal follow for all characters by default.
    2. Enable a new "allow follow" option that allows you to highlight characters and enable their follow for you alone. So, if the player is enabled as a follower (they don't have to confirm or anything), then when they select your character the follow option will be active. If they are not enabled as a follower, then the follow option will be disabled if they select your character. This makes it so you are giving permission for individual players to follow you exclusively.

    Or, you can make it possible for all players in the game to "turn off" their ability to be followed by other players. Shifting the responsibility to each player to disable follow during whatever event they're participating in, but not disabling the option for those who like to use multiple accounts in various interesting ways.

    This is a more complicated solution, and requires profile data to be saved for each character increasing the amount of storage required, but it is also a much more interesting way to solve the issue. Players should be allowed to control as much of how their characters interact with other characters as possible. Allowing players to control who can follow their characters increases customization options and helps reduce annoying "tag-alongs".
    Last edited by Patchkid; 01-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.

  12. #27
    Ascendant Techie Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Locqlynn View Post
    How about an option to kick someone following me? Better yet, how about disabling follow when someone is on ignore?
    The vote kick option was removed because people abused it for petty reasons. Is the person following you taunting you in any way? Player harassment? Report them to a GM if it bothers you.


  13. #28
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    250

    Default

    At least add an option to stop someone from following you. That way, people who use it legitimately can simply allow the following toon to keep following, while those of us with a leech attached to our ankles can give it a swift kick to the balls.
    Rokola@Faeblight
    Ranaa@Faeblight

  14. #29
    Ascendant Nuuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patchkid View Post
    The better solution is thus:

    1. Disable normal follow for all characters by default.
    2. Enable a new "allow follow" option that allows you to highlight characters and enable their follow for you alone. So, if the player is enabled as a follower (they don't have to confirm or anything), then when they select your character the follow option will be active. If they are not enabled as a follower, then the follow option will be disabled if they select your character. This makes it so you are giving permission for individual players to follow you exclusively.

    Or, you can make it possible for all players in the game to "turn off" their ability to be followed by other players. Shifting the responsibility to each player to disable follow during whatever event they're participating in, but not disabling the option for those who like to use multiple accounts in various interesting ways.

    This is a more complicated solution, and requires profile data to be saved for each character increasing the amount of storage required, but it is also a much more interesting way to solve the issue. Players should be allowed to control as much of how their characters interact with other characters as possible. Allowing players to control who can follow their characters increases customization options and helps reduce annoying "tag-alongs".
    I don't think that someone will chose to follow me. I may take my water mount and drown them. A no follow option would be nice.

  15. #30
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Not a bad idea. I will speak to an engineer to see how easily we can add this to the task list. A number of anti-leeching features are currently on the way for IA, probably for 3.2. I wouldn't mind adding this to that list, assuming I haven't already over-burdened engineering with all my IA requests.
    No I think that would be a VERY BAD idea. The actions of a few should not be used as an example to affect a larger whole. Especially when there are more preferred ways to deter leachers in Instant Adventures.

    To be blunt; this seems like a very quick and rash decision to make. Such a problem should be solved via care and delicate analysis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts