+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP/PVE gear problems

Default PVP/PVE gear problems

Many people are currently unhappy with how gear has been addressed with PVP and PVE items.
    PVP players who enjoy only PVP are loudly unhappy about having to do PVE content in order to get gear, and many PVE players like myself are also unhappy about having to do PVP that they don't find enjoyable in order to get daily and weekly rewards. Luckily, this problem can be solved, and I would like to propose one solution I thought of:

Attempt a parallel between PVE gear/currencies and PVP ones. For example, favor could function as a PVPer's Void Stones, and new currencies could be introduced for the other 2 PVE currencies. My hope would be that they would be exact parallels of the PVE currencies. This means that PVP-only players could get basically the same amount of each PVP currency per week as a PVE-only player could for PVE currencies.
    The PVP weeklies (complete 5 specific warfronts and kill 1000 ascended) and conquest weeklies (kill 2000 in cq and win a conquest) would award the same amount of the currencies but they would be PVP-specific. This way, PVPers and PVEers would have access to the same amount of effective currency. The PVP currencies could be used to buy renamed sets of existing PVE gear. Weekly quests might need to be adjusted so that PVP players and PVE players would have access to the same amount of each currency, but the amounts are already fine. (4 PVP weeklies and 4 PVE weeklies)

For example, I'll say that "Abyssal Slayer's Marks" are the PVP equivalent of AC marks. An Abyssal Crusader's Mask (10000 Abyss. Crusader marks) could be reskinned to an Abyssal Slayer's Mask (10000 Abyss. Slayer marks) with identical stats. Instead of Marauder's Chests that have different gear and usually only give 1.5 plat, I'd like to propose a reskin of the Fae Yule Loot Bonus. Anywhere from 2-5 of these could be earned per day by winning warfronts at level 65 with 800 or more hit and would be the same as a Fae Yule Loot Bonus without the time restriction. This way, PVP players could get dungeon loot without doing dungeons and PVE players would not need to grind hundreds of warfronts they do not enjoy, slowly diminishing their enjoyment of the game, to get a PVP-only item that is Best in Slot.
    Overall, this seems like a very good solution. It caters to pure PVP players and pure PVE players, and gives the same high incentive for players to try both types of content.

Problems:
    *Marauder's Chests have been around for a long time and the gear from them is circulating already.
    *Favor is already in existence and is very inflated. Most PVP players and some PVE players probably already have capped favor.

Solutions:
    *Replace Marauder's Chest gear on all accounts with the calling/role equivalent of dungeon/raid/crafted gear, and possibly compensation.
    *Modify stats of the Marauder's Chest drops, making them identical to crafted/dungeon/raid gear
    *Keep favor as a currency for pre-level 65 gear and consumables, making new currencies to parallel Void Stones, AC Marks, and Fragments of Horror.

Thanks for reading, hope a game designer will at least give the idea some thought. Reply if you notice anything I missed, comments, criticism, etc.
    Tigrex <Steel> - level 65 Rogue Greybriar
    Rathian - level 64 Warrior Greybriar

Sword of Telara

I can't help but feel that the idea of the "gear unification" thing was to get rid of the two distinct currency sets so that you can get a few of some tier of currency from PvE and some more from PvP if you liked playing both. I don't think I entirely understand the benefit of splitting them again: surely a player that completes both flavours of weeklies is still going to end up with twice as much currency to spend on gear at the end of it? There is still that incentive for somebody to grind out the dailies/weeklies they don't want to do in to collecting currency/gear faster.

As for the loot bonuses, the ones I got always gave me epics of my calling. Maybe I got insanely lucky, but if that's the case then rewarding one on a warfront win is much more favourable than doing a dungeon, as you have only a 1/4 chance of the boss drop being the correct calling, and less if there's somebody else needing on the drop. There's also no intermediate drops like the NTE blues that you get so many copies of quite quickly.

There's also no way to obtain decent essences via PvP, though with those changes it would at least be viable for a pure PvPer to get enough gear to get into NMR instances.

It is also unfair on PvPers in that they cannot do the equivalent of queuing specific NTEs in the hope of getting the drop that they want: instead they're forced to draw from the whole pool every time.

It also does not stop people with raid epics/relics and focuses full of ~190 main stat essences from walking through WFs roflstomping everyone in sight. It isn't feasible to obtain such gear through PvP, you'd have to spend many months of doing weeklies to get enough horror fragments to get the gear. Even then, there's no way to obtain raid tier weapons in PvP currently.

I like that people are coming up with simple things that are way, way better than how things are, but there are a few things that I'm still not quite sure about...
    Last edited by Foolio; 12-31-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I can't help but feel that the idea of the "gear unification" thing was to get rid of the two distinct currency sets so that you can get a few of some tier of currency from PvE and some more from PvP if you liked playing both. I don't think I entirely understand the benefit of splitting them again: surely a player that completes both flavours of weeklies is still going to end up with twice as much currency to spend on gear at the end of it? There is still that incentive for somebody to grind out the dailies/weeklies they don't want to do in to collecting currency/gear faster.
    The issue with PvP and gearing is that doing PvP activities to achieve expert and raid gear is a complete joke when one does the PvE equivalents. The marks and fragments gain through PvE just blows PvP out of the water.
    Everything after Storm Legion was a mistake. ()

As for the loot bonuses, the ones I got always gave me epics of my calling. Maybe I got insanely lucky, but if that's the case then rewarding one on a warfront win is much more favourable than doing a dungeon, as you have only a 1/4 chance of the boss drop being the correct calling, and less if there's somebody else needing on the drop. There's also no intermediate drops like the NTE blues that you get so many copies of quite quickly.
    I addressed this (sort of) in my post by limiting the amount gainable per day. If a PVE player does all 6 dungeons in a day and gets 1 item each time (4 bosses, each player gets about 1/4 of loot), they will get 6 items per day. So, the amount of chests available per day for PVP could be anywhere from like 3 to 6. Also, my guild mates and people on forums have confirmed the loot boxes give random loot from any boss in a dungeon, not just epics.

There's also no way to obtain decent essences via PvP, though with those changes it would at least be viable for a pure PvPer to get enough gear to get into NMR instances.

It is also unfair on PvPers in that they cannot do the equivalent of queuing specific NTEs in the hope of getting the drop that they want: instead they're forced to draw from the whole pool every time.
    This is true, I'm not sure how the essence thing could be addressed. I'll have to give that some thought.

It also does not stop people with raid epics/relics and focuses full of ~190 main stat essences from walking through WFs roflstomping everyone in sight. It isn't feasible to obtain such gear through PvP, you'd have to spend many months of doing weeklies to get enough horror fragments to get the gear. Even then, there's no way to obtain raid tier weapons in PvP currently.
    This is also true but more difficult to address. There is really no way for the devs to be able to guarantee that any given PVP match has the high level of experience, coordination, difficulty, and skill as a raid where everything can be controlled.

I like that people are coming up with simple things that are way, way better than how things are, but there are a few things that I'm still not quite sure about...
    Thanks! Like I said I'll have to think about a couple of those things.
    Tigrex <Steel> - level 65 Rogue Greybriar
    Rathian - level 64 Warrior Greybriar

Plane Walker

We've actually had at least one long time person leave rift over the gear unification. Mainly because they were annoyed that they had to PvP to keep up.

It was a horrible thing for those who don't enjoy both. But many of us tried to point this out, but Trion did not seem too interested in listening to the very valid critique put up before the expansion.

+ Reply to Thread