+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Sequence Macros

Soulwalker

Default Sequence Macros

There's a large chance this has already been suggested, but this is something rather simple and effective that would help EVERYONE. There should be an additional macro command such as /sequence, cast (spell), cast (spell 2). As of now, there is only priority casting which is default. It casts the first spell available, unlike sequence, where you cast spells in a specific order.

The lack of this feature is intentional. They do not want you to be able to reduce your rotation down to one button.

there are several macro features that i have used in past games that i would love but, having used them, i can easily see why trion does not want them added. they have to skirt the line between ease of use and semi-automation.

in one of the games, the macro system was quite large and allowed a ton of things to be done such as if/else commands and referencing specific action bar slots(including bars with skills on them off screen). with these, coupled with a few smaller ones, you could easily make macros that output 1 button fully optimal rotations for even the most complicated classes. eventually they made it so that you couldn't chain 1 macro into another so that you had to push more than 1 button per fight, but it did not get much better.

i am sure there are things that could be added to rift's system, but they would have to be done carefully
    Last edited by krabcat; 12-30-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

There are 2 ways to sequence abilities, but they're a little complicated to setup and to my knowledge they were only ever used for barding back when finishers did not refresh motifs. You couldn't spam it either or you would skip past abilities. You had to 5 keybinds (or sequence them with 1) to refresh them manually. It involved making quite a few macros and action bars to get it done. I'm sure you can probably find some old threads, but I don't know how well it would work being used for anything other than that.

i remember th eold bard macros. they were a PITA to set up and finicky to use. just not worth using imo
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lehealledeath View Post
    There's a large chance this has already been suggested, but this is something rather simple and effective that would help EVERYONE. There should be an additional macro command such as /sequence, cast (spell), cast (spell 2). As of now, there is only priority casting which is default. It casts the first spell available, unlike sequence, where you cast spells in a specific order.
    Actually, I am glad there isn't such a feature. As it is, some of the specs are two button wonders. I like that you have to be aware of the situation and react accordingly instead of spamming a single button. That would just dumb down the game even farther.

Four level 65 toons, among others:
    Khazadum@Hailol --- Dixierose@Hailol
    Tempest@Hailol --- Blazes@Hailol

Plane Touched

IMO it's a design flaw if the player is just acting like a computer going through a pre-determined sequence. It speaks to a lack of depth if the player doesn't have to make a decision based on something more than "this is what I'm supposed to do next in the sequence." I don't find manual sequencing that much fun when there is only one way that is the "best" way to do it.

What I think would be useful, though, is forced cooldowns. This would help with 0-cooldown spells when you want to cast more than one. Like, for example, if there's a pile of buffs that are all instant/0-cooldown, I don't think it's really a thrilling feature to have to click several separate buttons for each. If you could force a spell to have a longer cooldown than normal, like throwing a 10s cd on all those 0-cd buff spells, all of a sudden you can make one macro for all your buffs, and that's useful.

The programmer in me, of course, would LOVE to see an advanced macro system, with if/then and all the rest. I would take that and run with it and be an incredibly happy man. But I understand that there has to be a limit to what essentially becomes writing code. but man i would be one happy camper.
    Rokola@Faeblight
    Ranaa@Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread