+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Action Bars need work

Telaran

Default Action Bars need work

Summary:
    My main issue here is I hate the main action bar. It's clunky, bulky, ugly, randomly locks/unlocks and changes pages at terrible moments etc. And due to several limitations, there's just no way around the main bar. Here are a list of suggestions to improve the current action bars.

1st
    Fix the issue that causes ALL action bar buttons to show even though that option is un-checked in the interface settings. It occurs mostly when a ability/item/macro is moved from the action bar, and put back right where it was immediately after moving. It also occurs sometimes when action bars are locked for some reason. This error has been around SINCE ALPHA and has YET TO BE FIXED. -- COME ON TRION --

2nd
    Add an option to hide all of the "Fluff" around the main action bar, or at least make it possible through addon API. The main action bar is where I'm ALWAYS clicking. Mis-clicks happen.. Some of the most annoying mis-clicks are when I accidentally unlock my action bars, or worse, change the main action bar's page. Seriously, who uses the paging for the main action bar, especially in-combat. Some people might use it for trade skills, buffs, or things like that..
    I don't need to see my exp bar ALL the time. It would be better if it was separate from the action bar, and could be placed elsewhere on the screen and configured separately EG: transparency. There is NO NEED for it to be right in the middle of my action bars.

3rd
    Add an option to make action bars form into multiple rows. I get that you can change them from horizontal to vertical, but I would like to be able to change them from 1x12 to 2x6, 3x4 etc..

4th
    Add an option to SHARE the first action bar across all roles. The option is there for all the other action bars, but for some reason, it's not possible for the main bar. I would like to move the main bar off to the side, and use it for trade skills and other rarely used things, but setting up the main bar and each page to be the same across all roles MANUALLY would be EXTREMELY tedious, not to mention a pain in the rear to change anything on it and keep any changes across all roles.

5th
    Add an option to use stealth paging on action bars other than the main bar. I'm not saying add a separate page for each bar. Just make it so I can choose which bar is paged when I stealth. EG move that CLUNKY, UGLY main action bar off to the side, use action bar 2 as my main bar, enable stealth paging on action bar 2.
    Last edited by Dulge; 12-19-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Telaran

Seems like the devs just aren't interested in improving their game and keeping players around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulge View Post
    Seems like the devs just aren't interested in improving their game and keeping players around.
    Do you expect a dev post on every suggestion in the forum, especially at this time of year?

The developers do more watching, listening, taking notes than responding here.

i have never had the main bar change pages or lock/unlock without it being on purpose, i would go thru your hotkeys and make sure you have them set how you want. as for it being "clunky bulky and ugly" i guess that is just an athetics thing, would be interesting to be able to customize it via addons like you said.

making the pages of the main bar sharable across roles has been suggested a few times already. personally i keep all of the stuff that is not needed in combat off on the different pages so that i don't have to look at it all the time.

with some of your descriptions it sounds like you are clicking on all of your skills, which is far from the most efficient way to do it
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

Telaran

I use the first few keybindings, 1-4, sometimes 5 and 6, I don't like having my hand wander too far from the WASD keys while in combat. I also have 2 extra buttons on my mouse which I use for 11 and 12. But I do click my action buttons a lot, like when I'm spamming my attack macros with the other hand and I only have my mouse hand available.

I use a UI addon, never have any of the issues you describe.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    I use a UI addon, never have any of the issues you describe.
    Which addon are you using? I've been looking and haven't been able to find anything that would meet my needs.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Do you expect a dev post on every suggestion in the forum, especially at this time of year?

The developers do more watching, listening, taking notes than responding here.
    Thats beside the point. Rift needs some QoL changes like asap, and its way overdue. They know which they are, as the community has been crying for changes for the last few years.

It took them 3 freaking years to make the crafting windows collapseable, but they sure make time to figure out which new mount they will hide in a RNG box.
    Last edited by Heartsbreaker; 12-30-2014 at 01:51 PM.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

Summary:
    My main issue here is I hate the main action bar. It's clunky, bulky, ugly, randomly locks/unlocks and changes pages at terrible moments etc. And due to several limitations, there's just no way around the main bar. Here are a list of suggestions to improve the current action bars.

1st
    Fix the issue that causes ALL action bar buttons to show even though that option is un-checked in the interface settings. It occurs mostly when a ability/item/macro is moved from the action bar, and put back right where it was immediately after moving. It also occurs sometimes when action bars are locked for some reason. This error has been around SINCE ALPHA and has YET TO BE FIXED. -- COME ON TRION --

2nd
    Add an option to hide all of the "Fluff" around the main action bar, or at least make it possible through addon API. The main action bar is where I'm ALWAYS clicking. Mis-clicks happen.. Some of the most annoying mis-clicks are when I accidentally unlock my action bars, or worse, change the main action bar's page. Seriously, who uses the paging for the main action bar, especially in-combat. Some people might use it for trade skills, buffs, or things like that..
    I don't need to see my exp bar ALL the time. It would be better if it was separate from the action bar, and could be placed elsewhere on the screen and configured separately EG: transparency. There is NO NEED for it to be right in the middle of my action bars.

3rd
    Add an option to make action bars form into multiple rows. I get that you can change them from horizontal to vertical, but I would like to be able to change them from 1x12 to 2x6, 3x4 etc..

4th
    Add an option to SHARE the first action bar across all roles. The option is there for all the other action bars, but for some reason, it's not possible for the main bar. I would like to move the main bar off to the side, and use it for trade skills and other rarely used things, but setting up the main bar and each page to be the same across all roles MANUALLY would be EXTREMELY tedious, not to mention a pain in the rear to change anything on it and keep any changes across all roles.

5th
    Add an option to use stealth paging on action bars other than the main bar. I'm not saying add a separate page for each bar. Just make it so I can choose which bar is paged when I stealth. EG move that CLUNKY, UGLY main action bar off to the side, use action bar 2 as my main bar, enable stealth paging on action bar 2.
    I agree the main action bar does need work but it is one of the parts of the UI that works well for the majority of players and because of that, it is low on the priority of things to change. I do agree it is clunky and too bulky, that has bothered me as well and after the break I'll see if that's something that I can change without needing an engineer's time. If it randomly locks/unlocks then that's a bug and that's the first I've heard of it. Anyone else had this problem? I also have never had it change pages randomly, again has anyone else had this problem?

#1 Could you please list the exact steps to reproduce this bug so it can be looked into?

#2 Separating the action bar from the experience bar would require a lot of UI engineer work so I'd have to talk with him about how much time that would take, if it's a lot of work then it would get added to our wish list of things we'd like to do someday but not anytime soon. Again, I'll check with him on that.

#3 I don't see this realistically happening anytime soon although it is a good idea. My guess is that if we ever made that feature we'd use it for bags first.

#4 This is an instance of where it serves the vast majority of players very well as is. Again, I'll ask our UI Engineer how long this would take to add.

#5 I'm not understanding what stealth paging is, could you explain that?

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Heartsbreaker View Post
    Thats beside the point. Rift needs some QoL changes like asap, and its way overdue. They know which they are, as the community has been crying for changes for the last few years.

It took them 3 freaking years to make the crafting windows collapseable, but they sure make time to figure out which new mount they will hide in a RNG box.
    Please be aware that the devs that make the UI (me and MrScary), are not the same devs that make loot or boxes or mounts. We continually listen to players and have made a lot of changes and improvements but they take time so please be patient, remember there is a lot of UI in RIFT so getting to the smaller things can sometimes get crowded out by the large UI revamps but we do get to them.

We have many quality of life UI improvements coming with 3.1 and you can read up on them soon. Keep a look out on the website as there will be blog post about them, probably sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    #5 I'm not understanding what stealth paging is, could you explain that?
    Stealth paging is what the main actionbar does for rogues while in stealth-- it changes to a different actionbar as long as you are stealthed.

On an unrelated note, there's a bug with temporary action buttons. If you have them keybound, those keybinds will not work while your actionbars are locked.

Ascendant

Please be aware that the devs that make the UI (me and MrScary), are not the same devs that make loot or boxes or mounts. We continually listen to players and have made a lot of changes and improvements but they take time so please be patient, remember there is a lot of UI in RIFT so getting to the smaller things can sometimes get crowded out by the large UI revamps but we do get to them.

We have many quality of life UI improvements coming with 3.1 and you can read up on them soon. Keep a look out on the website as there will be blog post about them, probably sometime next week.
    Hi, do you know what Gadget addon is? if not, feel free to google, d/l it and see all the options which RIFT UI should have by default. This addon is amazing and gives a lot of useful option compared to default UI which just cover half of the screen with useless portraits and so on.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Telaran

I know who's in charge of what, I'm talking about priorities in Rift. UI is something 99% of raiders have completely customized via the addon Gadgets because it lacks so many different things.

Not to mention Kalert, RaidCooldowns, DPS meter, KBM, these addons should have been implemented into the game long ago because they are a necessity.

I don't know how is this on such low priority for Trion, considering most of your income comes from raiders which "have to" fully customize their UI and use 3rd party addons, which are approved by Trion but you get the point.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Heartsbreaker View Post
    I know who's in charge of what, I'm talking about priorities in Rift. UI is something 99% of raiders have completely customized via the addon Gadgets because it lacks so many different things.

Not to mention Kalert, RaidCooldowns, DPS meter, KBM, these addons should have been implemented into the game long ago because they are a necessity.

I don't know how is this on such low priority for Trion, considering most of your income comes from raiders which "have to" fully customize their UI and use 3rd party addons, which are approved by Trion but you get the point.
    I'm going to have to disagree with a couple points here.

Firstly, priorities, and addons like Kalert, RaidCooldowns, DPS meter, KBM:
    These should not be a priority for devs, nor should they be implemented into the base UI.

Players have the API available to create these types of addons themselves, and the percentage of the userbase who uses these types of addons is in the minority. Some of them, a percentage of the playerbase doesn't even want to exist - like a DPS meter (I'm not one of them, but they do exist).

Also, no one has to "fully customize" their UI with addons to raid. This is a WoW mentality - and lets face it. Players were successfully raiding well before the addon system was implemented in Rift. In fact, if I recall correctly, the raid that many to consider to have been *the* best Rift raid zone - Hammerknell - came before the addon API. If not, it certainly came before the API allowed us to do anything besides change our character frames and have a simple DPS meter - and it was completed before then.

What the original poster is asking for is, and should be, of a much higher priority for the devs - because players CAN NOT do this themselves, due to the limitations of the API in that regard, and a change to the action bars has been asked for, time after time, by many, many players, in various forms. Its possibly one of the most requested additions to the API - though, maybe, additional chat window functionality may be tied with it.

And, I hate to break it to you, but its unlikely that most of their income comes from raiders. Its been proven time and time again that games with a free-to-play store and model similar Rift's bring in the majority of their income from the more casual population, through the sales of "fluff" like costumes, mount skins, and the like. This isn't to say that those who raid aren't equally as important, or that they don't also spend money on these things, but they're in the smaller population set.
    Imri <Evolution> Defiant Mage Greybriar
    Dimension(s):
    Hermits Hollow on Greybriar
    Serene Villa on Greybriar

Which addon are you using? I've been looking and haven't been able to find anything that would meet my needs.
    MOFix UI 3.0 - now, daughter tells me it's no different than just moving the bars etc. around on one's own - but I haven't had the locking issues etc. you're describing with it, though I can't say I did with the vanilla UI either since I never used it during play (I immediately went looking for a UI addon that would put everything at the bottom of the screen and keep it there....)

I honestly don't know what else it allows you to do because I just set it that way and now I forget it's there.... I got it from RiftUI.com IIRC, and the author has a site and forum here:

http://www.valixx-online.de
    http://forum.valixx-online.de/forum.php

Sorry for the slow answer - holidays, and fun in game!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast