+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Samuraiko
  • 1 Post By Jonus

Thread: 'Replaying' Quests/Flashback System

Lightbulb 'Replaying' Quests/Flashback System

Question for Daglar, Archonix, Tacitus, whoever handles this kind of thing...

Is there ANYTHING at all in the Rift pipeline for being able to 'flashback' and replay earlier storylines and quests? I know that it's been done before in other games (City of Heroes had the Ouroborous/Flashback system which let you replay ALL the previous content with an automatic level-appropriate mentoring built in, while Lord of the Rings Online has the Mirrors which let you replay certain quests), and there is just so much great stuff in Rift that I'd love to be able to replay (and FILM, hint hint).

It's a tremendous PITA to try and find people who are a) doing the same quest, and b) willing to let me just tag along so I can get back into a certain location or re-hear dialogue or what have you. And to make matters worse, if it involves phasing tech, I can't even see stuff the second time around.

I don't care if you guys gate it somehow to keep people from gaming the system (though I'd FAR prefer to replay storyline quests if I'm going to grind planarite or plat or void stones or what have you). Make it so you can't get the same rewards as before (the same weapons or essences or what have you, make it a straight XP/plat reward for all I care). Make it a patron reward (I would subscribe five years at a time for that) for all I care; I will throw my entire paycheck at you for this one.

I so, so, SO hope that you guys will consider adding this soon, especially with all the rumors I keep hearing in-game about "time travel". It is an absolute crime to be able to enjoy a quest or storyline only once before you have to redo it on another character. On CoH, I ran several storylines multiple times simply because I enjoyed them that much.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Champion of Telara

Amazing idea. However, I guess it would be a logistical and coding nightmare to make all 4000+ quests repeatable. Some quests would have to be cherry-picked to earn that treatment.

Definitely support!

I would like to redo some of the older quests that I've kind of 'forgotten' about (in terms of lore) but don't want to level a whole new character in order to do them. Problem with new characters is that you have to re-join your guild, friends list/etc and you can't continue to do things like minions where claimed rewards are still the high-level you want, or refresh auctions, view high-level chat/etc.

Trion has this system in place for Defiance so they could perhaps take stuff from their experience on the effect of gameplay in that game and import that system over to RIFT with the knowledge they've gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    Amazing idea. However, I guess it would be a logistical and coding nightmare to make all 4000+ quests repeatable. Some quests would have to be cherry-picked to earn that treatment.
    Stuff like the dailies, the crafting repeatables, one-offs, holiday quests, PvP ones, those could be left out and I doubt anyone would care.

But the storyline ones, with definable arcs? Those would be FANTASTIC.

CoH even had them broken down by level range, and tagged which ones you had already completed, making it easy to see which ones you had already done (either by actually doing them or via flashback).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Definitely support!

I would like to redo some of the older quests that I've kind of 'forgotten' about (in terms of lore) but don't want to level a whole new character in order to do them. Problem with new characters is that you have to re-join your guild, friends list/etc and you can't continue to do things like minions where claimed rewards are still the high-level you want, or refresh auctions, view high-level chat/etc.

Trion has this system in place for Defiance so they could perhaps take stuff from their experience on the effect of gameplay in that game and import that system over to RIFT with the knowledge they've gained.
    I hadn't tried Defiance so I didn't know this! This definitely gives hope to the idea that it's doable...

And at least Ocho has some familiarity with how this works (since I'm 99% sure he was at Paragon after Issue 11 (A Stitch in Time) was introduced).

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

It also then dawns on me that Trion could have achievements for completing flashbacks the same way City of Heroes did... I see a lot of potential titles that could come from these.

"The Repeater"
    "The Once and Future"
    "The Timewarped"
    "The Repetitive"
    "The Infinite"

Great idea!

Sword of Telara

I'm sure it will never happen in this game, but there definitely is at least one quest in Stillmoor that I would love to do again. Mostly because I wasn't paying attention to it in 2011 the first time I did it, and it was kind of awesome.

I would love to have a system similar to City of Heroes Flashbacks. I have forgotten a lot of the quests.

+ Reply to Thread