+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: No penalty for leaving a group when harassed

Default No penalty for leaving a group when harassed

First let me say I love to tank and heal. I have all classes and my goal is to try all flavors of tanking and healing. That being said I just got to tank on my lvl 60 rogue. I am new, do not know all the mechanics and I am reading the forums for instructions. Still is not the reading but doing it that gives you the experience.
    When I join groups I say I am new, and do not know my spec well. Most of the groups understand but on occasion there are the trolls and a bully that all they do is to insult and belittle. Last night was such a night with a player bulling me with every pull. I usually have developed thick skin but this was too much. I decided to leave the group. I could not take it anymore.
    Then I see I have a lock out to enter another group for 30 min.
    So the short version: I am belittled and harassed, then leave as I could not take it any longer and then I am punished again due to my inability to take verbal abuse.

This is wrong. Maybe there should be a no penalty on tanks or healers leaving groups as they are the classes taking must of the verbal abuse. This is a thought that occurred to me last night when my skin was not so thick any more.

If you do not like the group, you should simply stop pulling. The only way to completely avoid the lockout is to be kicked from the group. You do not deserve special treatment for being a tank. If you wanted to be "fair" then the tank should actually get a longer penalty because they are more difficult to replace.

Also, in the same time it took you to rage quit you could have added the person to your ignore list.

As a general rule, do not make your first round through a dungeon while tanking. Unless you're just a natural at it (if you're wondering if you are, then you're not) then you'll want to learn the dungeon as an observer (read as: DPS) first before taking on the higher responsibility role of tanking.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    If you do not like the group, you should simply stop pulling. The only way to completely avoid the lockout is to be kicked from the group. You do not deserve special treatment for being a tank. If you wanted to be "fair" then the tank should actually get a longer penalty because they are more difficult to replace.

Also, in the same time it took you to rage quit you could have added the person to your ignore list.

As a general rule, do not make your first round through a dungeon while tanking. Unless you're just a natural at it (if you're wondering if you are, then you're not) then you'll want to learn the dungeon as an observer (read as: DPS) first before taking on the higher responsibility role of tanking.
    First of all I know the dungeon. I had done it successfully with my rogue and other toons. Secondly it was not a rage. I could not take the barrage of insults. I guess I could ignore him. I did not, but nervelessness this is a game not an insulting contest. Cyber bullying is a real problem and it needs to be addressed.

It is a common place to insult healers and tanks and this is a way at least not to penalize the few of us tanks that dare into pugs.

Plane Walker

I say just grow some thicker skin. It will callous eventually. I warn all of my groups that I suck and if they don't like it then kick me. I have mostly received laughs and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamot View Post
    I say just grow some thicker skin. It will callous eventually. I warn all of my groups that I suck and if they don't like it then kick me. I have mostly received laughs and understanding.
    I disagree. Being bullied is not to be tolerated. Abuse is abuse no matter how you look at it.
    It does not make sense to get used to be abused.

Plane Walker

I don't see how they could implement this. Unless they just remove penalties for everyone (which would be a bad idea, people would fish for specific dungeons and quit a lot more).

Your options are, (1) initiate a kick of that person from the group, (2) ask to be kicked yourself so you don't get the penalty, (3) just wait that half an hour, it's not so bad when tank queues are instant anyway.

The game can't differentiate when someone leaves for occurrences like yours, or for someone who is leaving for dinner. As someone else mentioned, putting the party members on Ignore could have prevented you from receiving the penalty.

Getting bullied is no fun, and I'm sure you just wanted to get away from those jerks. But it's simply a game debuff, and at this point I think you are taking it too personally.

This is just backwards. Shouldn't there be a penalty for the ones that bully and harrass other players? And why not make a ticket/report such players, shouldn't there be GMs to enforce the game rules?

Besides, the ignore comes along with another nice feature in this situation, if this other player continues on his path of bullying and harrassing, the waiting time for dungeons should increase with every entry on an ignore list.
    May be only a little at first, and sure, it will take some time to be really noticeable for him, but at some point it will be either waiting for hours or making a new character.

In the end, report/ignore and forget is the best way to go.
    Last edited by Schneeball; 12-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Rift, acend-a-friend code: E7DNGTZMQKXWGD77CC72
    Trove, refer-a-friend code: TJCQWZ3EK2MGYTEQHT9Q
    and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmir View Post
    I don't see how they could implement this. Unless they just remove penalties for everyone (which would be a bad idea, people would fish for specific dungeons and quit a lot more).

Your options are, (1) initiate a kick of that person from the group, (2) ask to be kicked yourself so you don't get the penalty, (3) just wait that half an hour, it's not so bad when tank queues are instant anyway.
    I am certain a lot of people do not tank due to the large amount of abuse that occurs if things do not go well. Always blame the tank or healer. That is usually the way it goes.

Maybe it would be an incentive for tanks and healers if they know that at least there will be no penalty if they get the abuse on them for the group perception of not performing well.
    Other games give incentives for people that tank and heal.

I just wonder if no penalty at least would be a way to ameliorate the stress and have more tanks and healers join groups.

Getting stressed out in the dungeon then paying a price for not taking it any longer IMO is not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Legos View Post
    First of all I know the dungeon. I had done it successfully with my rogue and other toons. Secondly it was not a rage. I could not take the barrage of insults. I guess I could ignore him. I did not, but nervelessness this is a game not an insulting contest. Cyber bullying is a real problem and it needs to be addressed.

It is a common place to insult healers and tanks and this is a way at least not to penalize the few of us tanks that dare into pugs.

Quitting as the tank, regardless of your rage meter, definitely deserves a lockout. The people you were grouped with probably waited 4-5 times longer than you did to get into that group. You should have just put the heckler on ignore. Cyber bullying is only a problem for people who need to grow a spine. Sorry bud, no sympathy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Legos View Post
    I am certain a lot of people do not tank due to the large amount of abuse that occurs if things do not go well. Always blame the tank or healer. That is usually the way it goes.
    Yes, the healer or the tank usually get blamed when things go wrong. The reason for this is that those are roles with higher levels of responsibility and lots of people hate taking responsibility for anything, especially their own actions. That my friend, is why people don't tank or heal.
    Last edited by Kithiel; 12-15-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I figured out how to fix this........... its been in the game since Beta. /ignore.
    Enforcer | Schwarzeneggar | Enforced <-- Myrmidon

Tempagon PvP Video

Quote Originally Posted by Kithiel View Post
    Quitting as the tank, regardless of your rage meter, definitely deserves a lockout. The people you were grouped with probably waited 4-5 times longer than you did to get into that group. You should have just put the heckler on ignore. Cyber bullying is only a problem for people who need to grow a spine. Sorry bud, no sympathy here.
    Totally disagree. There is no way bullying is acceptable. I do not wish sympathy. Harassing should not be tolerated period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithiel View Post
    Yes, the healer or the tank usually get blamed when things go wrong. The reason for this is that those are roles with higher levels of responsibility and lots of people hate taking responsibility for anything, especially their own actions. That my friend, is why people don't tank or heal.

Then let's try to ameliorate the problem not make it worse.
    Last edited by Legos; 12-15-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Two solutions:

1) /ignore: This is the best solution. It allows everyone to complete the dungeon with no delay, and the bully feels like they're still harassing you, so even they are satisfied!

2) Vote kick: Most groups will agree to kick someone if they are genuinely being rude. DPS replacement is usually instant.

Removing penalties for tanks and healers who leave groups will be abused MUCH more than it will be used by people who are actually being harassed.

We already have tanks that will queue up and then leave if it's not the dungeon they want. This option would allow them to do it over and over without waiting.
    Last edited by Pork Star; 12-15-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    Two solutions:

1) /ignore: This is the best solution. It allows everyone to complete the dungeon with no delay, and the bully feels like they're still harassing you, so even they are satisfied!

2) Vote kick: Most groups will agree to kick someone if they are genuinely being rude. DPS replacement is usually instant.

Removing penalties for tanks and healers who leave groups will be abused MUCH more than it will be used by people who are actually being harassed.

We already have tanks that will queue up and then leave if it's not the dungeon they want. This option would allow them to do it over and over without waiting.
    I am a patron and I play for pleasure and to have fun. When I play a healer if the tank is having a hard time or if he is too low on his HP I give tips and encouragement. I know how it feels.

Being compassionate and civilized is not bad idea. We all need to learn.

It is possible that there are some tanks and healers that are rude but it does not take away that both healers and tanks get their fair share of harassment.

Growing a spine is not acceptable. Tolerating abuse inflicted upon you is not a virtue and no one, I mean no one should have to put up with this type of behavior.

By the way I did report the player to the GM that took it up on me.

Maybe, just maybe, penalties should be eliminated.

In this case I was so aggravated and humiliated that then to see my penalty just added insult to injury.

Last edited by Legos; 12-15-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Champion of Telara

How do you expect an automated, non-human thing to be able to understand when someone is being bullied or not? How do you expect a system to understand when someone leaves due to harassment and not due to to other reasons? How do you expect a system to understand who started the harassment and who deserves punishment?

Grow a spine IS the answer. This is the internet. This isn't your home. Others do not play by your rules. You will play by the rules of the general community. You always have the option to simply group up with friends and never join a fully random group. If you are offended, then report, and let the mods take care of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast