+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Serathe

Thread: Free Swimming

Default Free Swimming

I think that Trion should give all mounts the ability to swim as a quality of life benefit to the community, both Patrons and Free-to-Play. This would generate an enormous amount of goodwill among your player base and would cost you next to nothing.

Rift Chaser

Don't really agree.

It will cost Trion the revenue they would have gotten selling it instead.
    Making the animations for the mounts does cost developer time which isn't free.

I do also partly disagree with the generating goodwill part. It will for a fair few players I bet. I would like free swimming. But players who shelled out 150 dollars to get a swimming mount might not be on board with the goodwill all as much as you might think if now it will be given away for free. And those are the people who clearly showed willing to spend a lot of money. Might not be the smartest people to displease.

I do however think that the current credit price (1500/1350) is way out of the ballpark for a single already gotten non swimming mount on a single character just for the swimming upgrade.
    Last edited by Serathe; 12-13-2014 at 06:24 AM.
    Proud builder of the following dimensions on Zaviel: On Serathe: O-RP Family park and tree hotel , Grotto mansion , Little Ravenshire , Vila Plankcraft, The Raven - Edgar Allen Poe, Fairytale fountain and menagerie, O-RP Beach resort Knock knock On Orticia: Villa Gothica , Orticia's lair

Charging for the ability to mount while swimming is a ****ing joke.
    Naked cash grabs are just disgusting.
    Nope.

Champion of Telara

How faster is a swimming mount compared to actually swimming? With the Tidal Aura buff in the Plane of Water, I gadget speedometer shows me reaching 295% movement speed which is slightly below the 305% I have with 150% mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Serathe View Post
    Don't really agree.

Making the animations for the mounts does cost developer time which isn't free.

I do also partly disagree with the generating goodwill part. It will for a fair few players I bet. I would like free swimming. But players who shelled out 150 dollars to get a swimming mount might not be on board with the goodwill all as much as you might think if now it will be given away for free. And those are the people who clearly showed willing to spend a lot of money. Might not be the smartest people to displease.

I do however think that the current credit price (1500/1350) is way out of the ballpark for a single already gotten non swimming mount on a single character just for the swimming upgrade.

I shelled out $150 for the swimming mount. I still think they should give it to everyone. It's not like they're hurting for revenue from Rift. I would be willing to bet they're making upwards of 300% more off this game than they were prior to the launch of the cash shop.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Serathe View Post
    Don't really agree.

Try applying this logic to everything and you might see how stupid it sounds.

Plane Walker

I have given it some thought. Give the poor a little taste of it. 20% swim speed should suffice because you do get what you pay for.

Telaran

If rift was P2P, then I'm sure this might actually be a possibility. However.. Since it's free to play, trion is going to get their money wherever they can.

Many P2P veterans remember fall damage being removed from the game as an all-around quality of life improvement. That was when RIFT was $15/mo. If the fall damage update came AFTER free to play, I'm sure they would have left fall damage in the game, and charged people credits to be immune to fall damage.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Serathe
    Don't really agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Try applying this logic to everything and you might see how stupid it sounds.
    That is exactly why I am not applying it to everything. That would indeed be stupid. Applying this logic to the swim upgrade is a whole different thing then applying it to everything.
    I can see why they would like to get money for some of the things they put work in, so they get money to keep the game running so they can keep putting work in. And a swimming mount is a non-gamebreaking perk whether you have or don't have it. And a pretty logical candidate for asking money for. Don't think that sounds stupid at all. Sounds like a business really to me. But I do think they went overboard with just how much money they want for this particular work.
    Last edited by Serathe; 12-21-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Proud builder of the following dimensions on Zaviel: On Serathe: O-RP Family park and tree hotel , Grotto mansion , Little Ravenshire , Vila Plankcraft, The Raven - Edgar Allen Poe, Fairytale fountain and menagerie, O-RP Beach resort Knock knock On Orticia: Villa Gothica , Orticia's lair

+ Reply to Thread