+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Making Dimensions Useful and Fun.

Rift Disciple

Default Making Dimensions Useful and Fun.

The novelty of dimensions wear off rather quickly unless you want to be an interior decorator or are very easily entertained. I see a lot of untapped potential when it comes to dimensions. Basically you are limited to editing a dimension for the most part but why? What is the point? Dimensions should be more interactive and more useful.
    ---------------------------------------
    Expandable dimensions

First dimensions should be expandable. They are already expandable in the amount of items but the area of the dimension should be expandable as well. How expandable would depend on the rarity( color) of the dimension. This would also determine how much a dimension expands per level. The cost of expansion would grow per level and could be purchased with either credits or plat.

* Greens would be expandable 5 levels( times) in size.
    * Blues would be expandable 10 levels
    * Purples 15 levels
    * Oranges 20 levels.

You would get a 50 item bonus to your cap per level but would have to buy additional item "slots" after that. So if you have a 105 item max and expand your dimension you get another 50 free for a total of 155 max items.

How the dimension is expanded( outdoors/indoors/ etc) would be based on the dimension.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Landscape editing

The ability to edit the landscape in a minor way would be a nice feature. Leveling terrain, Making a depression and filling it full of water for a stream or pond. Raising terrain to make hills or the impression of mountains.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Interactive Storage.

A dimension is somewhat like your "home" in rift. Its silly that you cannot store anything of use in it. Making chest, cabinets, and the like able to store stuff would be nice. And hoarders would love it. Even if the storage is limited to say 4 to 10 slots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gathering in Dimensions.

The ability to set your dimension up for gathering would be great.

*Fishing- you have to create a pond and/or stream. You have to "stock" your pond with fish that are dimension items. For example "Juvenile Grouper" would be a dimension item. Once you place it in your body of water you can catch Groupers. Each "Juvenile Grouper" lets you catch a max number of groupers per certain time limit( say an hour). By adding more of that type, you can catch more in that time limit. Rarer fish being less and taking longer.

If you were to add all the fish from say silverwood up to droughtlands to your pond and able to catch all those fish then when fishing is possible to catch any of those from the pond. If your pond is not stocked or you are out of "charges" for catching then all you will catch is trash. You are also more likely to catch trash out of your pond with 25% of catches being random trash. Lures also would not work in your dimension.

*Foraging- The ability to cultivate land in the your dimension to add foraging plants and trees. In an area than has been turned into "farm ground" so to speak you can place dimension version of plants such as "bloodpetal seeds". Every so often these would sprout up and be harvestable.

The same goes with lumber expect you dont need special culivated land, just the proper tree. Every so often a log of that type will be harvestable near the bottom of the tree.

*Animals- Creating pasture( found a use for all those fences!) And placing baby animals will generate large animals that you can collect hides from.

*Mining- hills mountains are places you can place "veins" that you can mine every so often.

*** Special dimension only crafting materials- Orange ( extremely rare) versions that will allow you to gather ( new) orange crafting ingredients used in a new set of recipes for powerful items....why? because crafted items should always be better than pre made items as a general rule. Plus it would be something unique to dimensions that benefit you in the open world.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Crafting stations

Being able to add our own crafting stations( loom workbench etc) and a vendor that sells all vendor crafting supplies would be a nice touch.

-----------------------------------------------------

Personal Rifts

...The game is called rift after all. So why not rifts in your dimension? This would be done by placing a " Personal Rift Generator" in your dimension or possibly a "Raid Rift Generator" in your dimension for groups.

The rift generator would have 1 charge every 24 hours with the ability to purchase more charges for planerite, coins, or credits up to a max of 3 per day. You would use the planar lure ability to open a random rift including the possibility of a nightmare rift. These rifts would be tailored to one person including the nightmare rifts. The level of the rift opened would be 100% random and your character's level will be automatically adjusted to the level of the rift so the NPCs are yellow.

The rift generator starts out at level 1 and is upgradable with coins, planerite, or credits. A level 1 generator gives a max of 2 rounds. Upgrading the generator allows you more rounds. A level 10 generator gives you a max of 11 rounds so on and so forth.

The rounds are like a normal rift with most being timed to make it to the next stage. Every 10th round and the last round are bonus rounds. The last round always has a chance to drop a "Generator Reset" Item that gives you a free reset as a reward for completing all rounds.
    -----------------------------------------------

This would actually make it worth spending time in dimensions and actually make it worth editing them. As they are now they are just a redundant time sink with no reward or value for doing them. And given the amount of effort put into dimensions and items for them by the devs that is just a sad waste.

I think you have some really good ideas.

However, I think it would require an awful lot of resources for them to implement. Also, having all of that wonderful stuff in the dims....you'd never have a reason to leave & go out in the world. Other than questing that is, if you still have questing to do. Then most of that game space would be wasted.

I like the idea of expanding the actual size of the dims per upgrade, but not happy with just a 50 item bonus. I think as it is now, the item bonus is more than 50, which is nice. I may be wrong about that, but it sure seems to be at times when I see that number jump & get excited. LOL! I have often wondered why the dims are kind of smallish in overall size. But then, they can't really give us a zone sized dim. There are a few that are much larger than the rest, & with the capability of building up, it kind of adds to the size. Still, it would be nice if the overall size would increase to the area with upgrades. I also think it'd be nice to increase the overall max item limit. Instead of it capping at 2000, maybe 4000, something like that.

I do like the storage idea, but I already use my starter dim as storage. I also have a guild bank set aside just for dim items. I'm sure alot of ppl do as well. It's a neat idea, but would that count towards your item limit? Having to put away a stack of boards or crates in my shed would add up to a high item count fast.

I'd like to be able to move trees out of the way in some places. Building streams or a lake is already possible with items they already have.

This is just my opinion of course, but I think the dimensions are doing what they were intended to do. Other than a few minor changes that would be really nice, I think they are more for a relaxation point in the game. Somewhere to go & show off your creativity, & take a break from the actual game.
    NEW DISCOVERIES (9/2015) on Greybriar by Elleeander

Rift Disciple

They have already spent a lot of resources on dimensions. I honestly dont think that many people mess with dimensions past a bit of novelty here and there. There is no real reason to spend any time in it other than to build it.

It has to be one of the most pointless aspects of Rift. As far as the relaxing aspect... i dont really see a lot of people using it as a place to relax.

And of course they would have a reason to leave the dimension. What i suggested by no means replaces the open world. But honestly i can stand in sanctum starting at level 6ish and never go anywhere in the open world all the way up to 65. I dont need to leave the city to get crafting items, make money, kill things, or obtain gear. So that point is really kind of pointless.

Both the crafting and rifting aspects arent designed to replace open world. They are designed to to give a purpose to dimensions rather than just have some space to load up with objects for no reason.

Actually, I know a ton of players who are heavily into the relaxation of dims. It is relaxing to alot of ppl to build in their dims. I even know some ppl who delete & create alts just for that. To each their own, as the saying goes. I know of several guilds on my shard that use their guild dims for fun guild activities & meetings.

The "resources" I'm talking about is alot more in depth than what is currently in play, for all of the things you're wanting. What you're basically wanting is a whole zone that's just for you. That's how it comes across. At least to me. It sounds really great, but not really needed.

There are aspects of the game that not all players will get into. For example, not everyone likes to raid, & feels it's pointless. Not everyone likes to do the IA's, etc. Yet, there it all is for when we get bored with one thing, we can turn to another. The dims are just another part of the game to play. Not all will like it. Several of the things you mentioned are already in play.

You sound like you may have gotten offended, & I don't understand why. Yes, there is the AH to buy mats, & there are things to que for to help you level. Pointless? Not really, you're just wanting to see your side of it & that's all. Didn't you read the part where I stated if everything you need is in your dim then it kind of makes the rest of the game a waste in a way? I find it hard to believe you just sit in a city & have not needed to leave for anything at all. You're getting off topic, & trying to drive the conversation away from your ideas. Now that, my friend, sounds pointless.

If the open world has all of these things already, then it would be a huge waste to load up the dims with it. It would bog things down quite a bit. In my opinion of course.
    NEW DISCOVERIES (9/2015) on Greybriar by Elleeander

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Thorian View Post
    They have already spent a lot of resources on dimensions. I honestly dont think that many people mess with dimensions past a bit of novelty here and there. There is no real reason to spend any time in it other than to build it.

It has to be one of the most pointless aspects of Rift. As far as the relaxing aspect... i dont really see a lot of people using it as a place to relax.

And of course they would have a reason to leave the dimension. What i suggested by no means replaces the open world. But honestly i can stand in sanctum starting at level 6ish and never go anywhere in the open world all the way up to 65. I dont need to leave the city to get crafting items, make money, kill things, or obtain gear. So that point is really kind of pointless.

Both the crafting and rifting aspects arent designed to replace open world. They are designed to to give a purpose to dimensions rather than just have some space to load up with objects for no reason.
    I appreciate your passion for wanting the part of Rift I love most to want to do more understanding this isn't what I thought I would enjoy so much. Until Dimensions endgame content in every game had been my passion. Taking that into concept the first part of this response is incorrect Dimenions grew on me as they were and are today.

The reason I love Dimensions so much is the amount of challenge they give me on many different levels especially creatively. Every building game I have tried does not meet this for me because I am having to mold and manipulate every single thing using items I have limited control of from the canvas (Dimension) itself to what I "paint" (build) on it with and how much - giving everything I do a uniqueness that does not occur in other games. You also only have to look at Dimension forums or my website to understand many do relax now and have been since 2012 when Dimensions were introduced in closed BETA.

Playing many building games you can't help but wish there were some things in Dimensions that are in other games but I wish for things from Dimensions more to be in other games to have a creative challenge that retains uniqueness and displays individual stories of each build and builder.

One thing I have noticed from EQ2, to Landmark, Trove, Minecraft and ArcheAge is that those too become vacant returning only if you "have to" (ie planting, tradepacks, crafting, guild events etc) Your plot becomes a chore not a place to relax. The only pride you have in ArcheAge is if you have a lot of land in an ideal spot that makes things convenient especially loading merchant ships or a unique item grows. Trying all these games leaves me pretty convinced that all these things you suggest (and many others over the months) could be implemented but given another year it would once again not be enough because that is the nature of a creative thought process once many have been created.

Enjoyment, self discovery and satisfaction are never pointless in a game or anywhere.

I don't think I have to go into whats already been discussed at length in many threads about capacity levels etc you would've seen these posts but I for one do not see a need to put any other crafting aspects in Dimensions other than Dreamweaving because I myself don't use the same Dimension for Dreamweaving and in ArcheAge I've never used my guilds crafting hall the only reason we meet there is to port or sail out together somewhere.

Resources would be better spent on storage which I have seen you discuss, Level 65 Dummies, Engine tweaks/guidelines on ensuring VFX capabilities, Guild Dimension upgrades and more items. I would still love to see a PvP Ladder for PvP Dimensions also.

I am just starting to appreciate Dimensions, but a few things that come to mind about the suggestions.

1 expandable dimensions, I think that this would be great, but there would have to be new dimensions designed specifically for this purpose, I'm thinking Guild dimensions would be prime for a testing ground on this. and retroactively adding this would not be worth the extensive time it would take to implement.

2 landscape editing; this would be a MASSIVE change in the programming of the dimensions themselves. but that being said, perhaps a more reasonable, limited application. where as right now they have "ground-raiser mushrooms" that eliminate small plant life, perhaps include an invisible (when not in edit mode) item that eliminates individual large plants like trees.

3 interactive storage. Rift specifically does not have bank access (personal or Guild) outside of major cities. Special abilities have been given to patrons to be able to summon a "personal Banker" to their side. putting storage in dimensions would in essence give everyone this ability. I do not see this happening any time soon.

4 harvesting in dimensions; this leads to farming which trion has taken considerable efforts to discourage.

5 crafting in dimensions; (similar to banking) by forcing players to only craft at crafting stations and only having those crafting stations in cities makes it so players are unable to craft what they need at the moment they need it. encouraging people to plan ahead. putting crafting stations in Dimensions allows players to bypass cities altogether. allowing players to even craft runes and potions in between fights (or wipes) in dungeons and raids. (still possible now but it takes a lot longer)

6 personal rifts; there is an instanced area specifically for nightmare rifts (nightmare coast). however by putting it in your own dimension you put in factors that could break the mechanics of the rift itself. by placing walls and buildings in the rift area players could take advantage of LOS tactics that open world rifts don't have to worry too much about. not to mention spawning issues (boss spawns inside rock and becomes untargetable) although it would be great if done properly, I could see putting rifts in dimensions having more problems than it would first appear.

personal Ideas; (I do not actually claim any of these Ideas as my own, just things the original poster did not say that I think would be cool additions)

minions as dimension Items. (not my Idea originally) you can place minions in your dimension (would look like pets but didn't follow you) while on an adventure they would be missing, but be waiting for you in your dimension when done. (maybe even have a quest marker when they have rewards ready)

direct access to the moving box system. being able to store dimension items, and dimension Items only mind you, in the storage page. don't change how much fits in the current system, but allow us to put item directly into it.

give rest experience while in dimensions

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Feraldira View Post
    give rest experience while in dimensions
    Interesting pov thanks for sharing. Rested XP has been in Dimensions since 2.3 Hotfix 7.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-10-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorian View Post
    The novelty of dimensions wear off rather quickly unless you want to be an interior decorator or are very easily entertained.
    I am afraid a lot of artists would disagree with you that creating something worth seeing is "easy entertainment". Especially when you compare it to the usual game features of mashing buttons which every monkey can be trained to do.
    I suppose its pointless to try and explain colors to a blind person though.

Default Utility for dimensions:

Crafting: I would love to add crafting stations and crafting trainers in my dim

Healing: Would love to be able to heal soul damage over an extended time for free in my dim, maybe a tavern or bed or inn function

Personal Store: I think it'd be fun to be able to set up a virtual store or booth in your dim that is searchable from a main world directory so that people could come and visit and my my stuff

Upvoting: if there was an opt in directory for dims and dim stores, visitors could come and leave upvotes if they like your dim- could lead to it's own leader board

Guest book: place for people to sign in with there name, amount of time they spent there would be auto logged

Dim Specific Instances: How cool would it be to have/pay for instances that could only be accessed through dims, you could have guild dims with guild specific dim instances

Stable: Place where you could breed mounts and companion pets

These are both things I would pay for in the Rift Store.
    o==(>>>>>>>> ODTEG <<<<<<<<)==o

Rift Disciple

Rift has always lacked interactive objects. In WoW, I remember being able to right-click on a chair and actually sit down. I wish Rift would take that idea and expand upon it.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MagCynic View Post
    Rift has always lacked interactive objects. In WoW, I remember being able to right-click on a chair and actually sit down. I wish Rift would take that idea and expand upon it.
    I'm starting to wonder if you can make comments without referring to Wow. Perhaps your game choice is off kilter and not this game?

I remember Dead Simon mentioning this I think 2 years ago during a live stream and that animations for all characters would have to be changed but we maybe keeping them a tad too busy with new stuff...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if you can make comments without referring to Wow. Perhaps your game choice is off kilter and not this game?

I remember Dead Simon mentioning this I think 2 years ago during a live stream and that animations for all characters would have to be changed but we maybe keeping them a tad too busy with new stuff...
    Its impossible since the beginning rift is a wow clone, and in vanilla, it was better on that xD

Baby steps

Lets start with making chairs and benches interactive.

Prophet of Telara

No, dimensions shouldnt replace in game world activities. You can place your status, dummies and other crap, but it should stay only as cosmetic aspect of the game.

Btw, if i wanted to build stuff i'd play The Sims instead of Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

Rift Disciple

I understand that some people like dimensions the way they are. But given how dimensions are almost completely player built, i think its a bit selfish to say i like it the way it is so we shouldnt change it. Since you are building the dimension yourself you can choose to add the new features or not to your dimension. You can chose to make it your canvas, to make it a useful part of your rift experience or a combination there of.

Dimensions would not replace real world activities. Your not going to go farm enough duskglory petals in a dimension to level your apoth character. The drop rate isnt meant to be something so high( actually it would be more on par with minions giving you the loot with a couple clicks of a button).

In addition, saying that people will never leave dimensions, is being a bit of a doomsayer. Some people do play in extremes. but most people like to do a variety of things and most play an MMO for social interaction. It would similar to saying that if everyone was 65 no one would ever go to silverwood or freemarch because their is no point. When indeed that is not the case. The dimension additions are meant to add a bit of flavor and interactivity to dimensions not to replace the game... and they would not be effective at replacing the open world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast