Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Pay to WIN (Earring slots)

Telaran

Default Bump

This is just a bump...

Rift Master

In another thread Daglar stated in the next hotfix they are adding a slight amount of VS to the PoW Dailies.

The Earrings and Water Attunement gear is just there for chumps to whip out the CC fast to use the gear drops.

The game is still fully playable without the gear. Its just an easy way to make more money for Trion. Unfortunately I approve of this ONLY as long as this stuff is negligible till obtainable and so far for this expansion it is.

Any new player can fully level up never having had needed to use either earring or water attunement gear, but now they are tempted to spend money. This is good as the game needs money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulge View Post
    This is just a bump...
    It would be worth a bump if it was true. But it's not.

Telaran

I'm guessing that the ones who are supportive of the new Pay to Win model are people who have purchased the $50 and $150 collector's editions.

I think in the future anybody who responds to this thread should state weather they purchased the CE that gives the ear ring slots or not.

I myself haven't made the purchase, but am considering it if things stay the way they are. Currently I have bills to pay, and am only able to find part-time work. Getting caught up on bills IRL is a higher priority to me than a game, period. So I just can't justify spending the money right now. Maybe in the future when I'm all caught up and have an extra $50 burning a hole in my pocket, I will purchase the $50 CE for the ear ring slots, extra bank slot, and bag slot, since the only way to get these is through the CE. Though these are all just extra perks imo, I still think they should be purchasable with credits or something..

The fact that the only way you can obtain an amphibious mount, or any mount that can be used in the water, is by spending $150 on the ultimate collector's edition also bothers me. I think the shark mount is very cool looking, and should remain exclusive to those who supported the game and spent the $150, but I think the advantages should be only cosmetic and convenience. However the amphibious mount can give pay-to-win players a serious advantage over Free-to-Play players, especially when it comes to competing for resources in underwater areas, or areas where there is a lot of deep water that would otherwise dismount players.

Soulwalker PvP Forum Hashtag Master's Avatar

Its not pay 2 win if you don't call it pay 2 win

Quote Originally Posted by Skeithe View Post
    In another thread Daglar stated in the next hotfix they are adding a slight amount of VS to the PoW Dailies.

The Earrings and Water Attunement gear is just there for chumps to whip out the CC fast to use the gear drops.

The game is still fully playable without the gear. Its just an easy way to make more money for Trion. Unfortunately I approve of this ONLY as long as this stuff is negligible till obtainable and so far for this expansion it is.

Any new player can fully level up never having had needed to use either earring or water attunement gear, but now they are tempted to spend money. This is good as the game needs money.
    Does anybody have a source of this information? If there will be an increase of Void Stones for players, then this is a good thing.

My suggestion has been this: If Earrings are going to drop at low level, the in-game method of earning opening the slot needs to be lower level. If not, make them available to unlock at 60-65. It's extremely unnerving for those leveling up and unsure if RIFT will be their game in the future for them to be regularly reminded of the paywall.
    Last edited by Qazaam; 10-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.

I'm guessing that the ones who are supportive of the new Pay to Win model are people who have purchased the $50 and $150 collector's editions.
    I'm guessing you're afraid to admin you're wrong on the earrings. It's funny to see how you shift focus away from that now.

We'll see amphibian mounts for the masses before too long. You'll probably have to spend (gasp) void stones on those as well - and maybe upgrading existing ones will only be available through credits.

Telaran

That's fine if I have to spend credits on an amphibious mount if they make them available that way. It beats the hell out of paying $150, or going without.

I still stand by my opinion that the earring slots are pay to win. Others agree. In fact, there seems to be more people who agree than disagree.

Telaran

Default Bump

This is a bump. Do not adjust your bump....

Rift Master

That's fine if I have to spend credits on an amphibious mount if they make them available that way. It beats the hell out of paying $150, or going without.

I still stand by my opinion that the earring slots are pay to win. Others agree. In fact, there seems to be more people who agree than disagree.
    Just because people agree doesn't mean their right.

I didn't pay money for the earring slots or water attunement. I plan to do it the F2P way because there is no reason to pay money.

P2W means nothing in an MMO cause there is no winning.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=pay-to-win
    pay-to-win

Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.

This is actual definition I can find for P2W.

Fine for THAT definition you can call Rift P2W.

But here the real question for you what other MMO has NO pay walls to enjoy the game fully?

You can earn both earrings slots and water attunement in game. You can also get into experts without either.

P2W SURE FINE its P2W whip out the CC and win the game.

Theres no pay walls what so ever. Soul packs cost money but you can spend REX to purchase.

P2W really means Pay for Quicker Advancement in this game its not even an advantage because eventually we will all get to the same point.

I guess I really don't understand the point Rift needs to make money so choice

Pay for Quicker Advancements like we have in 3.0 or shut down servers your pick.

Rift Disciple

ok, how you name this - you have no chances to unlock 2 earring slots before 65 without spend money, or you may spend money and allow to use earring slots even on low levels (someone wrote about 20 lvl earrings)?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by vxsw View Post
    ok, how you name this - you have no chances to unlock 2 earring slots before 65 without spend money, or you may spend money and allow to use earring slots even on low levels (someone wrote about 20 lvl earrings)?
    I would call that the way the game was has been. The content pre 65 hasn't changed or been tuned to require you to wear earrings at all.

You can level 1-65 zero earrings. Its a way to get people to whip out the credit card that's it. This sounds bad but in actuality its a good thing as it earns the game revenue.

Your not forced to make the purchase, your not even penalized for not having the items equipped. Its simply there to "sucker" people into making a purchase for the game.

The additional souls are just this as well. You don't NEED them to play the game but you get "suckered" into purchasing them.

So what do I call it Revenue. This game needs it. This is why people are upset they "feel" they need to pay for this when they simply don't and its gonna make the game money as there is FAR more people ready to whip a CC faster than the though of coming and reading forums does.

Rift Disciple

souls is a side-grade of gameplay, slots - is additional bonus for stats. I had loot one of 60lvl green on last weekend, stats had same as last torvan essence. i.e. you have approx 10% to main stat through leveling, it's good enough bonus as for pve as for pvp.

I mean, if it available for money at low level, it must be available for f2p low level characters too, or it must be locked for all up to 65.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by vxsw View Post
    souls is a side-grade of gameplay, slots - is additional bonus for stats. I had loot one of 60lvl green on last weekend, stats had same as last torvan essence. i.e. you have approx 10% to main stat through leveling, it's good enough bonus as for pve as for pvp.

I mean, if it available for money at low level, it must be available for f2p low level characters too, or it must be locked for all up to 65.
    Although I don't agree with the majority of complaints about earring slots and PW:W, I do agree with this. If the earrings are available at lower levels there really should be a method of unlocking them to use them at lower levels within game.
    Last edited by Woozywyvern; 10-29-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skeithe View Post
    I would call that the way the game was has been. The content pre 65 hasn't changed or been tuned to require you to wear earrings at all.

You can level 1-65 zero earrings. Its a way to get people to whip out the credit card that's it. This sounds bad but in actuality its a good thing as it earns the game revenue.

Your not forced to make the purchase, your not even penalized for not having the items equipped. Its simply there to "sucker" people into making a purchase for the game.

The additional souls are just this as well. You don't NEED them to play the game but you get "suckered" into purchasing them.

So what do I call it Revenue. This game needs it. This is why people are upset they "feel" they need to pay for this when they simply don't and its gonna make the game money as there is FAR more people ready to whip a CC faster than the though of coming and reading forums does.
    I would call that NOT the way the game has been. Prior to 3.0, characters had access to all their equipment slots. You didn't have to pay money if you wanted to 'unlock' a gear slot before endgame. How you can sit there and say its the same is beyond me.

If I was a new player with zero time or money invested and I noticed I could only unlock a gear slot with cash or wait until endgame, I would uninstall. Most people need other people in an MMO so group content can work and the LFG tool doesn't take days. If enough people don't want that feeling of 'I got ripped off by a free game' and do the hypothetical uninstall I would do, before long there won't be enough people left to justify keeping the servers up.
    I won the game by leaving it. Have fun with your cash grabbing nightmare.
    Wonder if this could happen to Trion or if it's limited to companies with deeper pockets:
    http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...x#.VGS-T_nF-So

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast