+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Omedon
  • 1 Post By Ulthran

Thread: Please let us colour our powers!

Default Please let us colour our powers!

(This is a re-post of something I accidentally posted in general discussion, if the mods would please delete that previous thread, I'd appreciate it! )

Dear ascended-players and developers of the ascended's world:

My RP partner and I are City of Villains vets (well, she's a REAL vet, and she introduced me to the game while we played WoW back in the day), and we've often said that RIFT has, with its open ended approach to fantasy, almost filled the void that City left in its wake when it shut down, between conceptual character building and such wide open visual customization. There is, however, one angle of customization that I absolutely loved in City that I have yet to experience in any other game, one that I would happily purchase to unlock in RIFT, one more powerful final step to allowing completely colour-co-ordinated character concept customization:

Let us colour our powers!

In City of Villains/Heroes, there was an additional customization phase for each power set (which could easily parallel to souls) where you went through each power that said set gave you and gave it primary and secondary colours. For example, my necromantic minion master character's concept was of a traditionally red and black vampiric theme, so all of the auras, bolts, and nimbus-like effects of his powers were red and black. My partner's fire-powered character was a devout follower of "the Void" in our personal RP storyline, so all of her fire was pitch black.

RIFT is, right now, one of the most powerful games for playing and expressing a unique character, and I would happily pay and pay well to unlock this final step of conceptual realization. I submit for approval the idea of chloromancers with blood red mist in their powers, bards that sing deep purple, and physicians that shoot homeopathic chlorophyll green!

Because they're ascended, the superheroes of Telara, and who's going to tell them that looks wrong?
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Tales from the Void: http://omedon.tumblr.com

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    -polite snip-
    this will create one problem for sure :

in pvp, you'll never know whether the inquisitor is casting a nysyr or one of his other channels.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    this will create one problem for sure :

in pvp, you'll never know whether the inquisitor is casting a nysyr or one of his other channels.
    While I understand that the "right to eyeball strategically" is always an excuse to clip creativity in these sorts of things, it's potentially possible to disable customized ability appearances in PVP.

Are wardrobe appearances disabled in PVP? I'm not being snarky, I'm actually curious.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Tales from the Void: http://omedon.tumblr.com

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    (This is a re-post of something I accidentally posted in general discussion, if the mods would please delete that previous thread, I'd appreciate it! )

Dear ascended-players and developers of the ascended's world:

My RP partner and I are City of Villains vets (well, she's a REAL vet, and she introduced me to the game while we played WoW back in the day), and we've often said that RIFT has, with its open ended approach to fantasy, almost filled the void that City left in its wake when it shut down, between conceptual character building and such wide open visual customization. There is, however, one angle of customization that I absolutely loved in City that I have yet to experience in any other game, one that I would happily purchase to unlock in RIFT, one more powerful final step to allowing completely colour-co-ordinated character concept customization:

Let us colour our powers!

In City of Villains/Heroes, there was an additional customization phase for each power set (which could easily parallel to souls) where you went through each power that said set gave you and gave it primary and secondary colours. For example, my necromantic minion master character's concept was of a traditionally red and black vampiric theme, so all of the auras, bolts, and nimbus-like effects of his powers were red and black. My partner's fire-powered character was a devout follower of "the Void" in our personal RP storyline, so all of her fire was pitch black.

RIFT is, right now, one of the most powerful games for playing and expressing a unique character, and I would happily pay and pay well to unlock this final step of conceptual realization. I submit for approval the idea of chloromancers with blood red mist in their powers, bards that sing deep purple, and physicians that shoot homeopathic chlorophyll green!

Because they're ascended, the superheroes of Telara, and who's going to tell them that looks wrong?
    I would have to say YES! See, I don't care about other planes besides Water, Earth, Life and Death(in that order). If I could play a Justicar who was throwing around water jets instead(or bolts whatever) instead of holy energy(really fk that!) I'd pay up to 15$ for that. This applies to multiple other souls as well. Especially the Inquisitor whom I actually fancy from the mechanics side, but can't stomach from the lore side(holier than thou prick).

I could go into detail why this could work from lore side and for non-ascended as well, but this is not the time for such a talk.
    Last edited by Ulthran; 09-28-2014 at 03:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread