+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)

Soulwalker

Default Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)

Hi..

I've 10+ years of experience in online gaming especially Mmos.

Have played more than 10 different games in long term and tested about a hundred of them.

I've met with RIFT, I feel that it's a place that i can finally stop searching for Mmos in game guide sites, video sharing sites and forums.

My favorite old classic was Knight Online It's now a non-buried dead. Anyway, this suggestion is about a feature that belongs to that game.

In Knight Online (KO), when you want to talk to lets say JACK in private, you don't whisper him. There opens a mini window just for YOU and JACK with the command of /pm JACK or just right click him and select pm... In the screenshot below you can see that our player is PM'ing with Ryuzaki.

Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)-aaauv.jpg

After this window opens you just talk with Jack on that window. When you done with the conversation, you can either close or minimize it as in the screenshot below..

Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)-knight_online_2.jpg

In the screenshot above you can see a minimized pm window of DontPlayWithThe.. And a new pm has arrived from NEMONOMO and it's window is created minimized and blinking because it's an incoming message and the player haven't seen inside yet.

So you have no chance to miss a message... You can read them anytime you want...

Sometimes you get popular and..

Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)-16ao044.jpg

You can open all the private message windows at the same time..

Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)-kqyzc.jpg

You can block people individually or totally if you don't want to be disrupted.

You see all other messages in general chat windows. But you'll not lost a single message unintentionally.

Why am i spending this time by preparing this post? Because in my opinion, the main reason for playing this old rubbish game was the dialogues between friends and opponents... They can get in touch as easy they pm each other. When you are idle, you miss whispers and whispers don't alert you in anyway...

I believe this feature can be done in a short period of time. But I'm sure you'll get bonus for implementing it.

With my all respect..

~Elessar

I have a separate window for just whispers that works beautifully. Haven't missed a tell in months. It's less organized than this, yes, but it works.

Your suggestion would require the UI crew to throw something completely new together, and it would take time and money that could be spent on other kinds of things. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, more that it's really just not something that should be super important, especially considering there are workarounds already.
    Seranii@Greybriar - 60 Eth Warrior
    | SL: 11/12 T2, 5/8 T3 | NT: X/X T1 |
    < Dirty Casual until 3.0 >
    "One day you'll hang your head as you realize,
    You've heard it all but didn't listen to a word."

Set up a chat window that captures your whispers. It works.

What would be nice would be something like The Secret World where the other tab name changes color when there is a new message in it.

Soulwalker

A whisper window will keep all sayings to you together... Imagine that you are talking to 5 ppl at the same time by whispering.. You cannot get a clear conversation... Cannot remember what you were talking about at some point. All will be mixed up..

The thing is when someone pm you, it blinks minimized and you get curious.. Anyway i think it didn't sound you a cool feature.. I'm thinking that today's mmos lack of speaking but joining an adventure to get exp item etc until you get bored and move to another subscriptive game ^^'

Some old times i was just logging to game just to chat with the community..

See you around!

~Elessar

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Srimiester View Post
    Set up a chat window that captures your whispers. It works.

What would be nice would be something like The Secret World where the other tab name changes color when there is a new message in it.
    I do like the idea of the tab letting you know when you have a new message. With the expansion coming up, the UI team's schedule is pretty full but I'll see about adding that to our to-do list for a future milestone. I'm thinking it would be a tab setting that defaults to on, but it gives you the option to turn it off.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    I do like the idea of the tab letting you know when you have a new message. With the expansion coming up, the UI team's schedule is pretty full but I'll see about adding that to our to-do list for a future milestone. I'm thinking it would be a tab setting that defaults to on, but it gives you the option to turn it off.
    This would be the next great thing after the rework of the professionwindow. Keep it up Gingers. I really appreciate all your efforts so far

Champion of Telara

Please in the suggestion make it on and off per tab. I don't need to know when some random person is spamming Level 60 just to make everyone's screens blink. As other have said a whisper tab doing this would be really cool, A Level 60 tab doing this would cause epilepsy.

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Quote Originally Posted by Tollwutig View Post
    Please in the suggestion make it on and off per tab. I don't need to know when some random person is spamming Level 60 just to make everyone's screens blink. As other have said a whisper tab doing this would be really cool, A Level 60 tab doing this would cause epilepsy.
    I agree, that's what I had in mind when I said it would be a setting so you could turn it on or off per tab.

Soulwalker

Whisper window isn't enough for chat organization... How do you guys manage to multi-whispering? When you want to say a word to person 1 and then person 2 ? Remember msn messenger.. When you want to summerize your speech to your friend, you'd look at your chat history with him... Youd think about what you say to eachother... You have almost no chance to mix the subjects with two friend of yours... But whisper window has a missing concept that when you whisper person 1 other ppl cannot hear what you say but it is being written like in general chat.. Like everyone can hear you... Incoming messages are targeting only u its ok but outgoings are player individual.. But in the same window!?!?

All we really need is addon access to chat messages and we can make the UI ourselves.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

Default this

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    All we really need is addon access to chat messages and we can make the UI ourselves.
    exactly! there was an addon in wow called wow instant messenger or w.i.m.(remember a.i.m?) it was just like aol/yahoo/msn messenger functionality but for ingame whispers. been asking for this since beta 1....dont think its gonna happen

Soulwalker

A big module to use for chat like wim would occupy large area on the sceen... If we are looking for a optimized solution for direct messaging, knight online's solution is the best i think... Player based little minimize able stackable windows (as in the screenshots)

Ive played ko for more than six years... Better individual chat can be done in this way without interrupting your gameplay... Its the best solution ive ever seen

Soulwalker

I'm double posting but I've got an idea to get it work

So we have the "whispers only window".. This window shows us the whispers from you and incoming to you... There are user names on the begining of every whisper..

There can be a module that shows these user names like in this screenshot.

Private Message Windows (A Better way of communication)-rift_game_022811.jpg

As you see there is a maximize/minimize button and a close button on each user in my hidden whisper list. The user "Elisai" is glowing because there is a new incoming whisper from him. Others are old.

When i press the maximize button of a user, the hidden whisper window can appear and show me only the whispers that come from him and out gone to him.. Then if i press the maximize button again the window can disappear.

When i press the close button of a user it deletes his whispers from the whisper list without changing the appearance of the whisper window.

Result; There will be a single window as it is now... Just an active filter module can show me only one user's whispers and can delete a user's whispers totally from the beginning.. (There can be a button as well to show old fashion whisper list)

The main advantage of this method is that you don't need to face with a huge incoming message alert during an action

The second big advantage of this method is when you have filtered the whisper window for one user, you will always chat with him when you press enter.

The other advantage is the current system will stay as it is so there won't be any unnecessary occupation in your scene

~Elessar
    Last edited by Elessarsst; 07-09-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessarsst View Post
    A big module to use for chat like wim would occupy large area on the sceen... If we are looking for a optimized solution for direct messaging, knight online's solution is the best i think... Player based little minimize able stackable windows (as in the screenshots)
    I think you are missing the point of talking about using the addon API, which is that we can do anything we want if we have chat access.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elessarsst View Post
    Whisper window isn't enough for chat organization... How do you guys manage to multi-whispering? When you want to say a word to person 1 and then person 2 ? Remember msn messenger.. When you want to summerize your speech to your friend, you'd look at your chat history with him... Youd think about what you say to eachother... You have almost no chance to mix the subjects with two friend of yours... But whisper window has a missing concept that when you whisper person 1 other ppl cannot hear what you say but it is being written like in general chat.. Like everyone can hear you... Incoming messages are targeting only u its ok but outgoings are player individual.. But in the same window!?!?
    Holding 3-4 conversations isn't that hard really I typically have 3-4 going all the time between guild, whisper, party\raid. This does not include any voice conversations going on. I tend to process verbal conversations completely separately, as I can type and speak at the same time. My fingers occasionally get confused.

Its not that hard to get your brain trained to do this. 1) Find a book you really like 2) find a tv show\movie you really like. Watch said TV show\movie and read the book at the same time. Do this until you can keep up with both simultaneously.
    Warning: this has a tendency to cause REALLY weird dreams as your brain processes them both during REM.

Although I do like the idea of Add on Developers getting access to the Chat API as I'm pretty sure they could do some really cool stuff with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast