+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with artifacts!!!

Default help with artifacts!!!

I have a suggestion for artifacts - seems like they are not as 'shiney' for collectors, and people are not buying them anymore. Half the problem is that everyone has probably bought all the goodies they every need/want with their lucky coins and have nothing more to want for with arties collections.

Can you add cool stuff to the Lucky Coin market? If some of the newish mounts are bound for the Rift Store, can you make them Lucky Coins/Loyalty instead of Plat/Loyalty?

I'd think putting consumable into the Lucky Coin store would be too much of a money grab, but more unique Dimensional items (steampunky power consoles, control panels, glowy tubings and cable depots?) and costume items would stimulate interests again?

Rift Master

I agree a lot of people aren't buying artifacts anymore, but I think the main reason is different. There is to many artifacts on the AH, every player has them for sale, and that becomes part of the supply and demand fiasco. During Autumn Harvest, we get flooded with artifacts so everybody starts undercutting the prices to offload them and now you have Blues that were once 150pp or higher now selling for 10pp (See Scroll of Happiness).

Now combine that fiasco with server mergers and you've just enlarged it beyond capacity. I don't think your ever going to recover from this unless they start taking away the excess artifacts on the AH or reduce the number of zone spawns to balance the supply and demand. A blue or higher grade artifact should be rare, not something you send to the trash bin.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrrePower View Post
    I agree a lot of people aren't buying artifacts anymore, but I think the main reason is different. There is to many artifacts on the AH, every player has them for sale, and that becomes part of the supply and demand fiasco. During Autumn Harvest, we get flooded with artifacts so everybody starts undercutting the prices to offload them and now you have Blues that were once 150pp or higher now selling for 10pp (See Scroll of Happiness).

Now combine that fiasco with server mergers and you've just enlarged it beyond capacity. I don't think your ever going to recover from this unless they start taking away the excess artifacts on the AH or reduce the number of zone spawns to balance the supply and demand. A blue or higher grade artifact should be rare, not something you send to the trash bin.
    AND that was the OTHER half of the problem! I am hoping they can increase the demand of artifacts and that will kill the glut.

Default More suggestions...

... how about more titles (prefixes) you can buy with Lucky Coins?

I know there are probably thousands of sets of artifacts... but once you collected 230 - 330 of them (especially the ones that offer special rewards) there is no more incentive to complete more sets. Not only would having demand for completing sets of arties stimulate the market, it would also re-create the interest in an old 'timesink' activity (artifact hunting) and bleed off population into some of the lesser travelled regions in search of glowies.

I hate to add this idea - how about special treasure troves or boxes for lucky coins?

Soulwalker

You can still work towards achievies for 500 and 750 sets. But I agree that there isn't much left to buy with lucky coins after you've collected that many sets (I'm at 640). And I think it's more important to nerf the hundreds of arties you can get during Autumn Harvest rather than reducing the amount in the open world.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by FyrrePower View Post

The zone spawns don't need to be reworked. If anything, I am finding *more* artifacts in zone now than I did originally, I think some hunters may have found what they needed or gave up. Frankly, it's nice to be able to find them in the open world again in the higher zones.

The server mergers, more new players, all this certainly had an influence. Autumn harvest being so near certainly is an influence, and people who were smart may have made mules for some of the ones they found, at least higher value ones -- if they didn't do what I did, and just give them all away to friends and guildies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezto View Post
    You can still work towards achievies for 500 and 750 sets. But I agree that there isn't much left to buy with lucky coins after you've collected that many sets (I'm at 640). And I think it's more important to nerf the hundreds of arties you can get during Autumn Harvest rather than reducing the amount in the open world.
    I wouldn't agree with nerfing Autumn Harvest. People who wanted to participate in this put the time into farming the fungi all day long for the brief few minutes of either scavenging artifacts in an off time of day and risking being frozen, or fighting with others for spawns, or finding that perfect sweet instance and farming tons and tons that wouldn't fit in bags or mail and having to rely on friends as mules. It was a fun holiday and many sets were finished, the auction house taken advantage of, and many sets *still* need finishing.

You can't compensate for impatience on any auction house. Time and time again in any MMO, you just cannot compensate. Either sellers will have their immediate gratification, or they will hold out for the perceived value and turn the profit they want for an item. Or settle somewhere in between.

You don't go around crying about a glut on the marketplace. You could just as easily buy up the glut and trash it yourself and create a demand again, or you could ride it out, or you could realize that with more players trying to make money on artifacts, the same old sweet sellers are not going to be that any longer and find the new market niche.

In the end it is a commodity market, and you the commodity seller has to adapt, not the market or the market landscape.

This all having been said, I agree wholeheartedly that there is a dire need for something to spend my hoard of lucky coins on. I don't want the dimension (it's broken down and has a lot of rubble in it). I realize it may not be a high priority on the dev's list, but it was indeed mentioned at a prior livestream that some new items would be added. I realize we're now getting new artifact sets and new types of artifacts, something to do with the coins (not just the squirrel mounts to be earned) would be great.
    Last edited by Carya; 12-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Soulwalker

Default The artifact market has gone down do to the auction house changes.

Like the title says, the artifact market has gone down dramatically do to the auction house changes. What is in there is typically more expensive too, making the market less appealing.
    When you could post thousands of items, it made sense to repost artifacts until they sold. Now people are trashing them when they run out of slots. Simple case of economics.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Paulwall View Post
    Like the title says, the artifact market has gone down dramatically do to the auction house changes. What is in there is typically more expensive too, making the market less appealing.
    When you could post thousands of items, it made sense to repost artifacts until they sold. Now people are trashing them when they run out of slots. Simple case of economics.
    If I would suggest any rebalancing, it would be on the distribution of the low-end 'worthless' items that even only 2-3 months ago I could sell for a few platinum, and now if I was so motivated, I can list once and sell for 25-50g. This isn't worth my time (my choice). I used to give these away when I had enough guildies to take them all, but now I don't, and so as much as it pains me to do so, I am simply junking them.

I certainly realize that rare should be rare, and so forth, but does common have to be -so- common that when I am out artifact hunting (or worse, just leveling and picking up two or three artifacts in a row), I get the same artifact two or three times in a row?

Sure, random is random, and as a mathematician I understand the inherent flaws in the absolutely unrandom nature of computer generated random numbers. But can we do something to diversify what we're finding in the game, or maybe implement a crazy old hermit NPC that lives out under a rock somewhere in the game who collects oddities, and is a hoarder worse than all of us. And he'll gladly exchange piles of our artifacts for some random chance at something that might be better than what we have now. It'd still hold more value than the time and effort at selling the vast majority of the 'common' artifacts on the AH (and improve the AH performance possibly if people actually did exchange x many crud artifacts for a (dare I say it) lottery chance at something better.

I absolutely abhor gambling and RNG, but I'm open to wild brainstorming to add some kind of value to the hundreds of artifacts I'm looking at vendoring.

If the lucky coins themselves had value (say, more novelty items, pets, dimension items, titles, etc as have been mentioned, or even an un-dilapidated version of the dimension!), maybe some sort of way to exchange artifacts themselves in bulk for lucky coins. I don't know, I'm not thinking of balance at the moment.

If the intent is that it's balanced as it is, and it's expected for avid hunters to find so very many that are just going to be worthless due to lack of demand, then I can adapt and (shudder) start vendoring more of them.
    Last edited by Carya; 12-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread