+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bgott

Thread: Goblin + Bogling, new playable races.

Default Goblin + Bogling, new playable races.

As we are getting rid of Maelforge and Greenscale, their grip on Goblins and Boglings respectively should we waning.

Goblins, failed by their master Maelforge, turn to the Defiants in a time of need. Their abandonment by whom they worshipped makes them very sacrilegious, much like the defiants. As the guardians continuously attacked the goblins in Silverwood, their population in that specific area has been thinned. Without Maelforge to turn to, many of the goblins of Silverwood have begun to swim to safety, to Freemarch, in search of a new ally.

The goblins, as the playable race, come specifically from the groups in Silverwood, although they may recruit goblins from other zones to bolster their numbers. It is important to note that not all goblins will have joined the Defiants.

Newly created goblins will start in Silverwood near the border of Freemarch. As they quest, they find themselves getting overpowered by the guardians, who vastly outnumber them, while facing challenges with the wildlife of Silverwood as well. Goblins will be swimming to Freemarch for their final quest (level 5) where they will be attacked by both Guardians chasing them off as well as marine wildlife. In the heat of the moment, Defiants indirectly come to their aid by firing at the Guardians. As the battle continues, the Defiants find themselves assisted by the goblins, and the goblins find themselves standing among them healed by their clerics. With new allies goblins begin to bolster their numbers through recruitment, but all goblins joining them will do so under a new name (to be determined). The Defiants will, however, demand them to forget their old ties and gods. They fight for a new purpose and a new faction.

The boglings of Silverwood have always been a somewhat oblivious people, defending their own. However, through their years of living in the marshes of Silverwood, they have developed abilities to cope with their enemies. Boglings can make skilled rogues, adopt the magics tought through many of their old allies of the plane of life, and even the rather bulky boglings make great warriors. With their adaptations that suit them in environments where most are hindered, the boglings of Silverwood use their marshes and the surrounding ocean to their advantage. Although Greenscale did not have a strong influence on them, the boglings sought allies within the plane of life. With its power waning and Greenscale defeated, the boglings seem to have been abandoned and humiliated by their old allies. In the aftermath of a battle on the border between Freemarch and Silverwood, the Guardians may have found a new ally.

The boglings, as the playable race, come specifically from the group found in the marshes of Silverwood, although they may recruit some of their allys from other zones to bolster their numbers. It is important to note that not all boglings will have joined the Guardians.

Newly created boglings will start in the marshes of Silverwood. Most of their quests involve the surrounding wildlife and using it and its many perks to their advantage. Some of their quests will be focused on dealing with pesky goblins. As they move along the southeastern coastline of Silverwood, they suddenly hear the noises of a great battle taking place. With excitement the boglings find a weak point in the Guardians as the Defiants are overpowering them. Oddly enough, goblins are spotted assisting the Defiants. For many years the goblins and Maelforge have been a threat to the boglings and their allies of the plane of life. Using their ingenuity, the powerful bogling wardens begin to heal and assist the Guardians that remain rather than finishing them off. Although the Guardians have lost to the goblins and the Defiants in Freemarch, they overpower remaining enemies on their own border with the help of the boglings. From this act the boglings of Silverwood have found their new ally, the Guardians.

The boglings and goblins of Silverwood are unique to their factions because they are the first playable non-ascended race. Regardless, they still fight for the same purpose. Boglings' and goblins' cultures each have a major influence on what they have done in the past. Although they have new allies, many prefer to surround themselves by their own kind. These races will be much more isolated than the others.

The new races will come with their own separate notoriety (names still to be determined) as well as a major town (a 'major town' being larger with more features than a regular town, but missing some features and not as large as a major city). The major town of the Goblins will be a new settlement in Freemarch. The boglings will make their old marsh in Silverwood a major town.

Goblin Racials:
    Gift of Maelforge - Grants fire resistance.
    Second to be determined.

Bogling Racials:
    Marsh Dwellers - Grants underwater breathing and water resistance.
    Lurk - A twenty second stealth usable out of combat only while swimming (unusable in Warfronts).

As I cannot edit.....

Another bogling racial, could possibly replace Lurk:

Shambler Tamers - Certain pets (Boar, Earth elemental, Warrior tiger thing, Satyrs, Certain necromancer undead, sorry I do not know their names) will be replaced with a shambler (each having its own unique graphics, but identical statistically even though certain abilities may be named differently).
    Last edited by Bgott; 12-24-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Not a bad idea at all. One thing that Rift has been noticeably lacking on since day 1 has been races. Since Goblins and Boglings are already in the game it would theoretically be easier to make them playable. I would also love to see some sort of humanoid cat-race and something completely new that no game has done before. (Haven't put a lot of thought into that so no suggestions at this point.) I'm sure that Trion has already considered all of the above, but I doubt we'll see any new races before the next expansion. Once we begin invading the planes, all sorts of new critters are bound to turn up and it makes sense that some of them would be playable.

I love these ideas! I especially like the way you took the two races that joined two dying planes and became enemies.

The new races seem to fit every soul especially goblins having powerful magical casters and warriors in their ranks and the boglings purifying their old allies from the realm of life such as the faeries as druids and calling on the old wastrel powers as bards.

It may be a good idea for armor to appear differently on goblins and boglings compared to the rest of the races as they have anthropomorphic appearences.

Got ideas for the 2nd racials, the passives are great!

Boglings - Regenerating vapours. Grants 50% health over 10 seconds to all nearby allies.

Goblins - Chaotic frenzy. Increases goblins damage by 50% for 10 seconds.

I think these would do as it's quite obvious that people playing boglings would choose classes like druid, chloro, warden and bard who all do healing and support whilst goblin players would go for pyromancers and purifiers etc.

Great ideas anywho! Trion should really put these into the game, they're laid out for them :P
    BRING BACK OLD THE GREATER FAERIE DESIGN! I DEMAND CAPTAIN SHORT BACK! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...on-please.html The avatar is not mine! It's Johnjoseco's from deviant art! Go there! Wow, love and joy it! XD

@Kithiel, A new race that is completely unique sounds like a great idea - like pandas in WoW (at least I think that was new, human-like pandas from an old warcraft game that I never played) - can get some interesting, crazy things; some people may not like them, but some people will get that "this is my favorite race" feeling discovered which no other race gave them before . Although it wouldn't be totally unique, I would love to play a cat-like class as well. It would feel like the elder scrolls' kahjit, what I would always make my thief, good memories

@The Relic, the chaotic frenzy sounds like a good idea, I would imagine they are fiesty little fellas.

I like these ideas, doubt they will be implemented but its still nice to see suggestions well thought out like this.

IF they were to implement something like this I would like to see some love for the vanilla races to, mainly better/more hairstyles for Bahmi, and better facial hair options for male Eth and Mathosians.

Oh I would love to play a Bogling caster!

Some interesting ideas. We are due new races, IMO.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

+ Reply to Thread