+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: LFG Wait time solution?

Default LFG Wait time solution?

Im going to have to assume that most people are experiencing this same problem since LFG is cross server and from what im being told by guildies, I believe its cross faction as well. Correct me and forgive me if im less than accurate on that.

Im on Seastone PvP. I now have four toons on this server (47 mage, 40 rogue, 32 warr and a baby 17 cleric). My wife also has a level 55 mage and two level twenty alts. Since coming back to Rift, ive been having a blast and I think Trion does a fantastic job of providing me with what im looking for in an MMORPG.

That said, I feel that the dungeon finder utility is broken. In the time we've played rift and levelled these toons, we have done four dungeons total. I used to practically spam instances in other games because it was my favorite pastime, but in Rift its pretty much a lost love of mine.

Dungeon qeues are almost always in excess of an hour and if the instance actually pops, i usually dont have enough time left to get through a dungeon, or I am busy helping a guildie, or in a warfront. On average, when I qeue up for a dungeon and spam warfronts I can complete 5 warfronts or more before ever seeing a dungeon pop.

**Solution**

Create a party buff that would allow less players to do the instance, buffing the party for each player theyre missing while simultaneously reducing drop rates.

I know this idea isnt perfect. For example, you would still need a trinity (maybe?)

So, maybe allow players to qeue for 3-5 man parties, setting a party minimum of three, buffing the party to compensate for the two missing DPS players, and cut the drop rate by 2/5.

Shoot... Cut the drop rate in half for all I care and drop nothing but greens if thats what it takes.

So far, ive completed two instances. At this rate, im gonna wind up soloing most of the early dungeon content ANYWAY and all the gear will be irrelevant for anything more than vendor trash.

Im definitely not looking for an easy way to gear up. I just wanna be able to more easily take a couple friends through the content you guys worked so hard to create before its a faceroll.

Its extremely difficult to simply PUG from chat. Ive tried. The convenience of the instant adventures and warfronts as alternatives makes getting a group to actually travel to a dungeon almost futile. On top of that, finding players who are level appropriate to do them and who actually know where the dungeon entrances are is even harder.

This is just my idea to make LFG a bit more viable. Its a tool thats meant to be a convenience, but in its current implementation its truly not a viable way to level, or at least, nowhere near as viable as IA and WF.

Thanks for all the work you guys put into the game! Ive been playing MMOs for a decade and I have to say that this game is my favorite of all time. Keep it up Trion!
    Last edited by Ronin12312; 12-24-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

Alot of it is more tthey need to balance out alot of the convience, rewards, and such that other activies give. Most of the reason you see lfg take so long as you need specific roles to actually finish thehm, with somewhat lack-luster rewards at that for completing, most of all compared to what you can gain from ias an warfronts. If they nerfed the rewards (drops, exp, and such) of the ias, and then buffed what you gain from doing dungeons with making it maybe abit faster leveling to do lfg to get to cap you might see lower ques. Also though many players are at an playing in the top brackets of the game, whick means there are less lower level ones to play with. In many ways trion needs to give us more lower level content that propts the layers to have reason to re-roll or play in those lower areas. Yet this is an isue that is common as you populate the end-game witth players with that mindset that the game starts at the end of the game,a dn the leveling to that place is merely a waste of time the longer it takes.

the lfg isn't broken, there's just very very few people under lvl 50. Trion has done a lot of work to make leveling as fast as possible, it's not uncommon for people to breeze to 50 in +/- 2weeks. Once you hit 50-51 and start doing the new SL dungeons you won't really see this problem. The Random dailies with mentoring were supposed to fix this problem (and did for a little while), but the rewards haven't been increased with the expansion, so no one does them.

As for your suggestion, I wouldn't see anything wrong with doing that, as long as they kept it to pre-50 normal dungeons. Would just make the trip to the new content a little shorter.

Shadowlander

The main issue I see is that you're under level 50. At this time, most people are playing SL and leveling their mains. The LFG tool won't actually put you in that level range unless you "Queue as Mentor". So when you're waiting 1hr plus to find people, it's not that there's a huge line and you have to wait your turn, it's that there's a small line and you have to wait for more people. Another issue is that you need 5 people specifically queuing for those roles in order to get a group.

When you hit level 50+ there's a whole new issue.
    Tanks: Most groups are waiting on tanks, as there isn't a bunch of tank drops from quests many people don't have the gear to tank. Even if they do, I personally like to know the dungeon before I take a "Leadership Role" and try to tank.

Healers: See knowing mechanics as tank but apply Healer to this category. Along with that, these dungeons are a lot harder than the old ones and some players need to work off the rust that was accumulated by running the old Experts while being severely overgeared.

Support: Anyone who's running support is probably going to get asked to support heal and because of this, many people are going to not queue as support because they want to DPS like the old Experts.

DPS; They suffer the longest queue time because this is what everyone is queued for. To throw out an example: If there are 100 people in the LFG only 2-3 of them are going to be queued as tank/healer/support per role. That means that many of the tanks/healers get instant-queues when the decide to do a dungeon but the other people have to wait.

Currently I am mentoring down and healing the low level dungeons a lot. Like a real lot. You would be surprised at how many times the black box pops up to just time out. Maybe people have waited 2 hours, gone to the restroom and come back to scream... but it times out so much.

I get no reward by the way, minimal XP, nothing to loot, hardly any coin, a blue item that is very bad or often the wrong spec... it's a worthless task, but unless you bribe people to revisit those places you won't help the new players get through them with a reasonable wait.

The simplest solution is to once more provide a bonus to high level characters to mentor down and help. Meaningful PA once per day, maybe a PA crystal and a single mark? Maybe even a tiny random chance of an upgrade item that might otherwise only drop in Oculu^h^h^h^hStorm Breaker Protocol!
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorian View Post
    Healers: See knowing mechanics as tank but apply Healer to this category. Along with that, these dungeons are a lot harder than the old ones and some players need to work off the rust that was accumulated by running the old Experts while being severely overgeared.
    It's more the abuse healers get than anything else that causes the shortage. Be polite to your healers please!

Support: Anyone who's running support is probably going to get asked to support heal and because of this, many people are going to not queue as support because they want to DPS like the old Experts.
    It's not stopping warriors queue-jumping as a beastmaster by selecting support. /sigh
    Last edited by Shibi; 12-24-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Default Very true

You guys all make very good points.

I played WoW for a good number of years and I can imagine there being many similarities insofar as lack of tanks due to players like myself who dont want to tank a dungeon I dont know and let my group down, and the healer and tank abuse that DPS players constantly submit them to.

Its also true, and something I didnt think about, that warfronts and instant adventures are way easier and the rewards are greater. Theres an extremely low failure rate in instant adelventures unless you have a very small group of undergeared and low level players, warfronts give exp even when your team is utterly pwned, and its easy to get carried through those methods of levelling.

With that in mind, id agree that instead, maybe trion should boost rewards for mentoring down, boost rewards for tanking or healing (lets face it. Healing and tanking are thankless jobs. Pew pew is not hard). A tanking and healing bonus would incite players to take on those roles more often, and would drastically reduce wait times. A mentoring tank could maybe even get a planarite bonus as well as level appropriate exp. A double bonus for tanking/healing AND mentoing. Not SO much that its ridiculous, but enough to be very appealing. Maybe even make it 7x a week that you can take advantage of the double bonus, and make an achievements for mentoring X amount of dungeons in different roles.

I think the only players who would QQ about such an idea would be those who want everything handed to them. After all, nothing is stopping them from making a tank/healer and mentoring down for some extra bonuses.
    Last edited by Ronin12312; 12-24-2012 at 07:07 AM.

you would never see a bonus to tanking/healing, even though I'd like to see something like that. Not only would the QQ from dps'ers would be deafening; but lets face it, some people are just plain BAD at healing and tanking. A bonus would mean EVERYONE would que for tanks/heals, and someone of them should not be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    you would never see a bonus to tanking/healing, even though I'd like to see something like that. Not only would the QQ from dps'ers would be deafening; but lets face it, some people are just plain BAD at healing and tanking. A bonus would mean EVERYONE would que for tanks/heals, and someone of them should not be doing so.
    Yet the fact they would be doing it and trying is part of how you get people to get outside their comfort zzone. If they are ingiven a incentive to do it, and then find they like it, than they might actually work at gettting better. No tank is uber or ammazing to start, and you got to start somewhere. I think having a bonus that is based on what is needed the most, and second most would actually be nice, and helpful in pre-51/sl content, or even just for mentoring dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Elric-merren View Post
    Yet the fact they would be doing it and trying is part of how you get people to get outside their comfort zzone. If they are ingiven a incentive to do it, and then find they like it, than they might actually work at gettting better. No tank is uber or ammazing to start, and you got to start somewhere. I think having a bonus that is based on what is needed the most, and second most would actually be nice, and helpful in pre-51/sl content, or even just for mentoring dungeons.
    For pre-51 content, sure. I wasn't really thinking of that, was leaning more towards the SL experts when I posted cause I was doing one at the time. Experts are NOT a good place to learn to tank >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    For pre-51 content, sure. I wasn't really thinking of that, was leaning more towards the SL experts when I posted cause I was doing one at the time. Experts are NOT a good place to learn to tank >.<
    Yeah but the thread and convo is abotu pre-sl, and mentoring with issues in the lfg time prior to hitting sl content. yeah though i can understand that though too. THough honestly as i have said in another place, they need more specific, and soul deticated requirements for queing for experts, so that people cann't inflate their hit ranting, and get into experts when their other stats will not work in the content.

Shadowlander

My biggest issue is the one time I did mentor down to help a lower level guildmate, we got AP. Now this isn't really a big deal because we were running it to help him out. My issue is that when I got mentored as tank, I was given stats that were WAY under the stats I had at level 50. I'm not sure what happened but here's an example. My mitigation is ~42%, mentored I had ~50%; Great! it went up. At level 50 I had 80%+ mitigation... something seems wrong here...

Also my health dropped to ~13k when I had easily 20k at level 50 and almost 50k at level 60.
    Last edited by Pandorian; 12-24-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorian View Post
    My biggest issue is the one time I did mentor down to help a lower level guildmate, we got AP. Now this isn't really a big deal because we were running it to help him out. My issue is that when I got mentored as tank, I was given stats that were WAY under the stats I had at level 50. I'm not sure what happened but here's an example. My mitigation is ~42%, mentored I had ~50%; Great! it went up. At level 50 I had 80%+ mitigation... something seems wrong here...

Also my health dropped to ~13k when I had easily 20k at level 50 and almost 50k at level 60.
    this has been complained about long and hard before. Mentoring down as a tank does some strange things. Even going further down (lvl40, 30, etc) you still always end up with less stats than someone at that level (regardless of spec). I think it's because the system knocks you down to bare-bones green level equipment for that level, when most people have mixed blues or better (especially at 50)

Default In addition

An exp bonus (arbitrary number alert) of lets say... 10 or even 15 percent for either healing or tanking an instance to completion wouldnt be unfair because as it stands, a tank or healer has drastically faster qeue times (on average). A bonus experience for those roles would increase wait times for those roles as more healers and tanks qeue, while decreasing wait times for DPS. In essence, the bonus is offset on all sides, making it respectably balanced. Throw in a small incentive planarite bonus for mentoring down as well, and wait times could quite possibly normalize. It could very well work, especially since trion would probably have a good idea of how to balance the bonuses according to wait times.

Honestly for mentoring they should have set average stats for what you get based on the quality of your gear. Like if you are wearing an assortment of purple/blues you would get the average normal stats of that quality gear at that level while mentored.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast