+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Redcruxs

Thread: Greaters really all that great?

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

Default Greaters really all that great?

For so long i have heard from so many that in the long run the greater essences are kinda a waste to use, as going straight stats will net you better results in many case. This seemed odd to me as really greaters in my mind should well be greater compared to the lessers, with only several of them combined actually beating the bonus of a greater.

Now what i was looking at is kinda two or even three fold kinda to make greaters more viable to be sloted without feeling it is a waste. In this you would have three types of greater essences, procced-based ones, stat-based ones, and finally hybrid based ones.

The procced greaters woould be as now yet with improved effects, as well as proc chances on them to make them more powerfull, and useful. Such as the shielding, or life draining essences, just with their shielding/draining effect proccing more offen, as well as for a higher amount.Then the stat-based essences would be like a lesser essence really just with much higher stats placed on it, and so warranting the use of a greater spot on the sigil/engine. The last of these would be the hybrid-based essences that would a union of a weaker proc ability, as well as stats that would either equal to or slightly weaker/lower than the stats on a lesser essence.

This kind of change would give you more options for what to socket, as well as even possiby lead to more varied ways of building yoru character based on going static stat or procc based esences, while too making greaters actually feel well like they are actually greater essence than a lesser.

So what do you all think? Would love to get both feed-back or ideas from other players, and even from the devs or such on this. As it is kinda terrible that these greaters essences are not as used as you would think they should eb with two spaces deticated to them on your sigil/engine, but are replaced by stat-based lesser.

Champion

I like the idea of adding some stats to greaters. The new essences just have so many stats that trading the stats for an ability that procs at an unknown rate is a difficult gamble.

Another possible solution is having essences not lock to a sourcestone and instead let players be able to switch essences in and out freely like normal gear. It would encourage experimenting more with the procs to see how they actually do in combat with a BiS core and would mean certain greaters with situational uses would be kept instead of being instant breakdown items.

The best essences are so expensive that for most players it just isn't worth it to spend the time and resources experimenting with greaters that proc. It's kind of unfortunate because it's an entire aspect of building a spec that gets a superficial treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    I like the idea of adding some stats to greaters. The new essences just have so many stats that trading the stats for an ability that procs at an unknown rate is a difficult gamble.

Another possible solution is having essences not lock to a sourcestone and instead let players be able to switch essences in and out freely like normal gear. It would encourage experimenting more with the procs to see how they actually do in combat with a BiS core and would mean certain greaters with situational uses would be kept instead of being instant breakdown items.

The best essences are so expensive that for most players it just isn't worth it to spend the time and resources experimenting with greaters that proc. It's kind of unfortunate because it's an entire aspect of building a spec that gets a superficial treatment.
    I knwo what you mean, kindaa why i went with having three kinds, some with stats only, others with a hybrid of stats an proc, and then a full procc one that has much higher chance of proccing an also more powerful proc to offset the lost stats.

Ascendant

Proc on healing/shieldinh greaters are fine, especially as a raid healer. Imo shielding are greater than healing as the healing procs are mostly overhealing.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeysUncle View Post

That's an idea I've been hoping would become a reality. And being able to save and load.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Proc on healing/shieldinh greaters are fine, especially as a raid healer. Imo shielding are greater than healing as the healing procs are mostly overhealing.
    Yeah i know that one well, but one set of greaters seeming or being fine, does not excuse the rest being pretty lack-luster in truth. In ways i wanted to see a greater that would create a delayed heal buff on the target that would store a portion of the overhealing on the target, and than when they are damage the delayed healing buff would pop healing them. Mind you this would have to be tweeked and such to make it not op.\

I think the rune-crafter profression should be able to make a rune or other item that can remove a essence without destroying it. Or having it be a npc in the cities that can do it for you would also work, but i always though runecrafters should be able to make essences too in someways, or atleast that we should have a profession that can make essences, and sigils/engines.
    Last edited by Elric-merren; 12-24-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Shadowlander

this problem falls with most trinkets aswell..the main problem is the abyssmal proc rate that makes them a dps loss to use over lesser planars and the cq trinket..upgraded or not. why after all the countless feed back they have not seen and aknowledged this issue. please up the proc rates or as others have suggested adding some stats to greaters/proc trinkets.

Greaters should be better than lessers? What madness is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Elric-merren View Post
    So what do you all think? Would love to get both feed-back or ideas from other players, and even from the devs or such on this.
    Since a lot of the greaters have worthless procs or bad internal cooldowns, giving the

greater essences stats based on a green or blue lesser essence of the same level in addition

to the proc, would help greatly.

Edit - Doh, I read replies after I wrote this and noticed the above was already covered.
    Last edited by Baramos; 12-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

I propose renaming greaters to Terriblers lol

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    Since a lot of the greaters have worthless procs or bad internal cooldowns, giving the

greater essences stats based on a green or blue lesser essence of the same level in addition

to the proc, would help greatly.

Edit - Doh, I read replies after I wrote this and noticed the above was already covered.
    Na even agreeing or otherwise bumping the thread by agreeing is nice. It will show the devs that this is somethign they should look into.

Rift Chaser

i like it. it gives an incentive to do rifts

+ Reply to Thread