+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Suggestion regarding hostile players.

Plane Walker

Default Suggestion regarding hostile players.

Let's face it, this problem is getting worse and it plagues every game.

MMOs need some kind of peer review system. With everyone interacting under a blanket of internet anonymity, there is little to no incentive for people to act civilized as they would in a real-world social setting.

If you run into a total tool, have some way of submitting a peer review. Have the negative demerits age out over time. Make this a variable tied to their *account*. If a player has repurcussions for this behavior, they might think twice. Its clear that reporting, ignoring, etc... is failing miserably. 90% of the hostile behavior I see are things that technically aren't against the rules and Trion has no grounds to discipline over. A peer system puts the "discipline" into the hands of the players.

Then have a setting that controls what threshold your willing to group with and the LFG system will take this into account. There are a myriad of things you could do with a peer rating and this could easily be tweaked and improved over time.

Yes your gonna have people dinging other players for non-legitimate things like getting owned in PVP or something silly but the really bad players will have significantly more demerits. Letting the demerits age out gracefully allows players to have a "bad day" w/o a permanent effect on a peer rating.

Something needs to be done.. Right now the number 1 reason I get tired and leave a game is unpleasant interaction with other players.

Plane Touched

You can always set them to "ignore." And you will never have to deal with them again.

Rift Disciple

I just posted this in a thread about the vote kick system, but it applies here as well:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/faq/

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenwyn View Post
    You can always set them to "ignore." And you will never have to deal with them again.
    Simply ignoring does not hold the individual responsible to their behavior in the community. I think a peer review system could be successfully implemented.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by exanimo View Post
    Simply ignoring does not hold the individual responsible to their behavior in the community. I think a peer review system could be successfully implemented.
    Yea, I ignored some dude the other day and he proceeded to mount up and position himself over me as I was killing quest mobs. This guy followed me around for like 30min. I even went invis/afk, took my dog for a quick walk hoping he would leave. I came back, starting questing again and here there he was, annoying me some more.

He was also spamming emote and then was sending me messages to my mailbox. (apparently ignore doesn't block either)

Really creeped me out.
    Last edited by Blazemon; 12-12-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Soulwalker

Do you honestly think that a peer review system would be helpful? It will quickly turn into this...

Person X loses a roll on an item to Person Y. Person X submits a negative peer review on Person Y, saying he/she is a jerk, ect.

If you want a better community, join a guild and do group runs. Don't submit yourself to public groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemon View Post
    Yea, I ignored some dude the other day and he proceeded to mount up and position himself over me as I was killing quest mobs. This guy followed me around for like 30min. I even went invis/afk, took my god for a quick walk hoping he would leave. I came back, starting questing again and here there he was, annoying me some more.

He was also spamming emote and then was sending me messages to my mailbox. (apparently ignore doesn't block either)

Really creeped me out.
    Wow... *half jokingly* there should be a troll achievement.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Avantos View Post
    Do you honestly think that a peer review system would be helpful? It will quickly turn into this...

Person X loses a roll on an item to Person Y. Person X submits a negative peer review on Person Y, saying he/she is a jerk, ect.

If you want a better community, join a guild and do group runs. Don't submit yourself to public groups.
    That isn't how a good peer review system would work. You would basically report a player and give a reason. Then that report would be peer reviewed by other random players and they would decide if the report was legitimate or not. Then whoever handles the punishments at Trion would punish the player appropriately. And if a person keeps giving bad reports over and over because they are 12 and can't handle it when they loose a roll, they can be punished.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Avantos View Post

Dude I've played every MMO since Meridian 59. I've been in some of the largest guilds in a given game. You can *never* find guild groups 100% of the time. never. Yea, some people will claim that do but I find that very hard to believe. I may be playing at 2am up late one night, or at another odd hour. My LOTRO guild had like 70 players active online at any given time. We had players from Australia, the UK, all over and even in a guild that active rarely would you have all the ingredients for a group all the time - the right classes, people with the right amount of time, people that want to run a dungeon at that exact instant.

Its not just grouping either that I'm talking about. Honestly, I wish ignoring someone prevented me from seeing their stuff in the AH as well. I want to be able to ignore someone from the game completely. I don't even wanna see their avatar on my screen. What deterrent is the ignore system if all it does is prevent you from seeing someone's chat messages? That model has failed game after game after game.

The bottom line is, the companies that make these games hands are tied with regards to discipline. People have taken more and more advantage of this. Look at Wow.. you can't play 30 minutes in that game w/o running into some kind of dbag.

General of Telara SanguineDeath's Avatar

In POE (Path of Exile) we do something like this. On the forum, we post the offender and make sure the ENTIRE COMMUNITY knows about them. Then in global chat, ppl are reminded not to have any dealings with this person as they are BAD. Works for us. We had issues of ppl cheating others from trades. Once they've been put on blast, nobody trades with them anymore. Kind of like putting a criminal's pic on a bilboard or plastered over the internet. It works and we should do the same thing here. I'm personally never bothered in game as:

1) I'm a loner
    2) I help others
    3) People who annoy me from acting stupid are told exactly what I think of them and they never bother me again; having a background in psychology helps ;)

Even ppl in my guild know better than to bother me - I usually tell them to their face that they are being annoying and to leave me alone. Must be my Israeli demeanor - direct and no my little pony, sugar coating crap....

The whole advent of the internet has created "monsters"; people who think they can bully others for the sheer fun of it in games. If we just put them on blast and call them out so the entire community knows about them, I bet this will decrease in no time and then, "Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace."
    Last edited by SanguineDeath; 12-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.

A peer review system could be gamed or abused very easily. A group of random jerks could start giving negative reviews to players at random just to grief them.
    Processor: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3
    Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    OS Drive: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III SSD (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by SanguineDeath View Post
    In POE (Path of Exile) we do something like this. On the forum, we post the offender and make sure the ENTIRE COMMUNITY knows about them. Then in global chat, ppl are reminded not to have any dealings with this person as they are BAD. Works for us. We had issues of ppl cheating others from trades. Once they've been put on blast, nobody trades with them anymore. Kind of like putting a criminal's pic on a bilboard or plastered over the internet. It works and we should do the same thing here. I'm personally never bothered in game as:

1) I'm a loner
    2) I help others
    3) People who annoy me from acting stupid are told exactly what I think of them and they never bother me again; having a background in psychology helps ;)

Even ppl in my guild know better than to bother me - I usually tell them to their face that they are being annoying and to leave me alone. Must be my Israeli demeanor - direct and no my little pony, sugar coating crap....

The whole advent of the internet has created "monsters"; people who think they can bully others for the sheer fun of it in games. If we just put them on blast and call them out so the entire community knows about them, I bet this will decrease in no time and then, "Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace."
    For awhile there in Wow my guild and a couple other large guilds on my server had global/shared ignore list that was maintained on a website. It helped quite a bit but doesn't help much for cross-realm stuff like LFG and LFR and now CRZ. I implemented the same thing in LOTRO as well.

But its at a point now days in MMOs where /ignore doesn't even begin to combat the problem.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Zaphod View Post
    A peer review system could be gamed or abused very easily. A group of random jerks could start giving negative reviews to players at random just to grief them.
    Well for starters, even with its drawbacks it couldn't be nearly as bad as what we have now -- with hostile players having free reign to basically do whatever comes to mind knowing that there will be little to no blowback from it.

Not to mention, they can always make it an option in your settings whether or not you wish to participate in it. If you feel a peer system is unfair or inaccurate, configure your settings so that you don't see peer ratings. Configure it so that you get matched with any players regardless of their peer rating.

I want to be able to queue for a random dungeon and a) not be matched with players that have below an X peer rating or b) more than 2 people from the same guild. Right now those 2 categories are 99% of my LFG grief.

I've seen peer systems in other genres that rate players on how many games they abandon, etc.... It seemed to work well.
    Last edited by Blazemon; 12-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Worst idea ever - the ability to offer any criticism would be removed completely. Some people can't accept the fact they may not be the most special snowflake in the world, part of the entitlement generation.

In the end you can always /ignore them, and on the off chance your ignore list is filled maybe you should question your own place - the common denominator might just be you.

I agree that the community as a whole are the only ones who are going to police this kind of behavior.

As the servers are still independent (not cross-realm, like WoW), we still do have at least some control.

When playing EQ, or even the early days of WoW, reputation meant a lot. Even in densely populated servers, when word got around that so-and-so was a theif/griefer/troll, these people suddenly found themselves unable to group, dungeon, even get a guild.

Now, I'm assuming that the server population here isn't quite as expansive as it was in WoW. Perhaps we need to set up a network, a channel of upstanding community members where we can do this, and at the same time, connect with fellow decent human beings for things like PUGs and IAs.
    Create our own resource for finding like-minded people.

Here, we can also inform each other of specific people who are particularly horrible. In WoW we had a channel that, when someone was pugging with someone who seemed 'off', would speak up asking "hey, any of you guys heard of (insert name) before?". Maybe someone has. Maybe he's notorious for doing idiot things to others.

What makes a system like this, or any for that matter, work, is numbers.
    I don't doubt this community has more than average really spectacular people on it; I've seen it in chat in the game.
    I'd personally LOVE to have a channel of people outside of a guild to turn to and know that for the most part, these are decent people like myself. People I can pick up a group with and trust and have fun with.

This also gives us the power to actively do something about the issue, without relying on game mechanics to do it for us.

Reputation was everything in EQ and early WoW. Maybe we can use it to our advantage.

Just a thought.

Petite

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast