+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Synovia

Thread: Dimensions - My List of QoL Suggestions

Ascendant

Default Dimensions - My List of QoL Suggestions

Trion

Dimensions are, by any account, a huge hit. I'm almost embarrassed (although I shouldn't be) to admit I've spent almost as much time in Dimensions as I've spent outside of them. We decked out the <Negative Ghostrider> guild dimension on Shatterbone with hardwood floors, a full bar, vaulted ceilings, a throne room, an elaborate jumping puzzle that extends way up into the sky, a Christmas tree, a hidden torture chamber and even a small section lovingly dedicated to our aussie comrades which we simply called "Austrailia" - it's a boat, some floral and a couple miscellaneous items upside down on the ceiling.

After literally having spent double-digit hours in dimensions alone, I've arrived at list of quality of life suggestions I (and I suspect others) would absolutely love to see for Dimensions. What follows is that list:
    1. Assistance with alignment. A great deal of the time I've spent in dimensions has been spent attempting to line things up properly. Part of this is due to my own OCD nature not liking loose edges or protruding sections. However, some means to help us align objects within the dimensions would go a long way to reducing some of the drudgery of placement and getting down the business of creating our worlds.
    2. More size variations on existing items. Right out of the box, you provided us with quite a selection of great items to stuff our dimensions with. I further suspect that countless items still remain undiscovered. However, I regularly find myself stringing together dimension items with the objective of simply creating a larger/longer version of that same item. Take for example the metal pipe dimension item available for purchase in Tempest Bay from a vendor. Let's say I wanted to build a bridge with metal railings. To do this in any reasonable fashion, I would need to scale a metal pipe down to radius of a metal railing and then duplicate it hundreds of times (depending on bridge length of course) all the while having to align every piece of the railing one at a time. It would be amazing if different sizes of said items were available - such as longer sections of pipe or more. This could also be resolved by tying in with the first suggestion of assistance with alignment wherein you could provide only one length of an item but allow for easy placement of items "end-to-end", for example.
    3. Multi-duplication. Often times I find myself wanting to duplicate not just one item, but a collection of items. For example, I might have painstakingly aligned a series of boards for a hardwood floor and now want to duplicate the entire section (a collection of multi-selected items). However, we are only able to duplicate one item at a time as it is now.
    4. Item dying. Nothing really more to say about this - I would simply like the ability to dye dimension items.

Now some or all of these could potentially be handled by addons and I realize this. It is ultimately up to you, Trion, to decide which items are best suited for addons versus which items could be built-in functionality. With that said, however, I'd like to move on to a request that isn't so much about simple "quality of life" but rather are new "feature" to go along with dimensions.

Bring Arena to Rift Through Dimensions
    With the dimension system you've put in place, you are sitting on a proverbial PvP goldmine. For well over a year now (probably longer than that), the PvP community has clamored for some form of high-end, competitive PvP that doesn't involve 10v10, 15v15 or 150v150v150 zerg. Rather, we want some form of organized, small-scale PvP. You can call it Arena or you can call it whatever you'd like but, as it stands right now, there is no form of high-end, competitive PvP in Rift and, therefore, there is no dedicated community for PvP aside from a small handful of warfront regulars (I'm speaking to frequency here and not skill level as I do not consider myself on the same level as the other names mentioned) such as myself, Legendaryheal, Aquafria, Mythblaze, Krock, Kronos, Danuc and a small handful of others whose names currently elude me. Let's bring Arena to Rift and let's do it our own way by using the Dimension system for player-created Arena maps. The system can begin with a simple, few steps:

1) Turn combat on in Dimensions. You already said this was going to happen in the near future so let's go ahead and do it (when you're ready)

2) Allow for some form of team designation. For now it can be as simple as having everyone flagged for PvP therein and then folks can simply party up to form teams.

Obviously, countless additions can be made on top of the above but these two should get us started. My vision for Arena in Rift would include the encouragement of player-created Arena maps along with the release of some "official" Trion-created maps for Arena that the players could use. Over time, those player-created Arena maps that are deemed fun and well-done can be incorporated into the mix of available maps for "official" Arena. Lastly, it should go without saying, we would eventually need some form of ranking system be it ELO or otherwise. Indeed it is the prospect of competition that is tracked and available for viewing by all that fosters high-end PvP in any MMO.

Thanks for your time!
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

i would love the alignment to be easier
    also the multiple copy thing would rock even more than any other change i can think of
    possibly a way to rotate items to specific angles too instead of having to guess at it even if it were only in intervals of 90
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

A "snap on adjacent items of same type" feature that can be toggled would help with aligning I guess.

a ghost function in which you could swim threw the air might be nice while editing, making it easy to see pieces from different angles without having to build a platform.
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

I believe in this too, but Trion is the only who can upgrade it.

We have a lot of wishes, but... Trion is just delivering patch 2.1 so little.

The problem is, the things that Trion want to deliver is not all the players want. There is a gap in.
    Rift 2.6's - Things I miss a lot in Rift: 1. No lock raids or boss, only lock drops and tokens. 2. I want a button to visit to other servers more easily. 3. Too low FPS yet. Fix Rift Client please. 4. Fair PVP, too much unbalance and crap healing war.
    - Thinks i like most right now: 1. Hailol Footholds 2. Flexible builds 3. Mage tanking comming .

+ Reply to Thread