+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arus2001

Thread: Invasions - Make it so it is "Not all about the Boss"

Telaran

Default Invasions - Make it so it is "Not all about the Boss"

Cant remember when i reached 60, but it was fairly quick; and like most I have been farming those Infinity Stones ever since.

Even back in the days of ISS on EI, Invasions had a serious flaw.
    While some of them were better than others, they simple did not do enough to overcome a fundermental problem with 'player attiude; towards invasions.

Typically all you need to do, is turn up while the final phase (almost always a single boss) and tag it and get you 10 odd IS or ISS.

Participating in the other phases offered little or no reward.
    And worst of all, seem to offer no logic in how any rewards are gained.

Example 1(standard invasion);
    closed 7/10 rifts - no IS, killed 20+ invasion mobs - no IS, killed boss - 11 IS (11 IS Total)
    Example 2 (standard invasion),
    closed 3 rifts - 2 IS, killed 1 invaion - 1 IS, killed boss - 11 IS (14 IS Total)

Now considering how much time is spent closing rifts and chassing/killing invasions; for the unlucky lotto chance of getting some extra IS... why would you really bother???

A simple change could be like this (again using the same invasion)
    Each rift closed = 1 IS
    (as long as you a). participated before the bonus stage, and b). completed all bonus stages)
    Every 5 invasion mobs killed = 1 IS
    (also increase this to 100 for the event, and make sure they actually spawn)
    Boss stays at 10 IS

Its unlikely you will be there for everything, but it will encourage more people to turn up earlier and also particapate. And it will also help with the Boss HP issue (which btw, since hotfix 5.5 seems allot better, have not seen a boss under 30M now, and often over 50M, yet seen no more people around...)

For another example (using different invasion mechanics i have seen)
    Phase 1 (take over the forts)
    There are two forts, and 5 battlements at each to take over
    Grant 1x IS for each battlement you take over
    Phase 2 (defend the forts)
    Same deal as above, only this time you need to defend them for aprox 10 minutes
    Grant 1x IS for each bettlement defended, or taken back (each one only counts once, for max of 10)
    Grant BONUS IS if you got 1 or more IS in Phase 2, of 1x IS per battlement left standing at end of phase.
    Phase 3 (kill boss)
    Grant 10 IS (as per standard)

I could list every other mechanic seen in Invasions, but my point is that the earlier phases need to have more incentive for people to particapate, and not just leech off the end boss; which has nothing but negative impact on the players who did particapate

e.g People active during early phases dont make it to boss, beccause one or more Guilds drop banner & large amounts of players port directly to boss which gets killed before allot of players who were active in other phases can make it.
    Resulting in boss leaches +10 IS, active players (often +0 IS)

Just my thoughts...
    Last edited by Auraka Sith; 12-08-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Also add event-rep

I mean, daily rep is fine and logical, but you just kicked a boss out of the zone, that should kinda give you a better name to the people / give you like 200-500 reputation

Blightweald - DPS Rogue and apparently best bard EU - 14k Achievs

Tag and run is quite horrible.

I don't know why did they remove the event meters that were at launch. It measured your contribution and you had to contribute to the event for a better prize. Now you just tag a mob and get full credit.
    Or you just have to wait for "everyone else but you" to complete the "boring part" and wait for the boss to spawn.

There have been countless suggestions made over the last year+ and Trion keeps generating these whacked challenges that are either way too long and boring (imo) or don't hold the interest of the general population. Risk versus Reward another factor.

Like the big production number in Morban. I went thru it all once and would never ever want to again. ISS or not.

The Fort ones in Steppes of Infinity is pretty good. Lasts a good time for the three phases. As long as too many elite mobs do not spawn and wipe you out.

The shield draining one in Ashora is incredibly boring. Takes way too long to drain the shields.

But still, unless they had an event and everyone just left the zone I don't think they'd notice.
    Beware the Penguin...

Quote Originally Posted by taoren View Post
    Tag and run is quite horrible.

I don't know why did they remove the event meters that were at launch. It measured your contribution and you had to contribute to the event for a better prize. Now you just tag a mob and get full credit.
    Or you just have to wait for "everyone else but you" to complete the "boring part" and wait for the boss to spawn.
    Because they were grossly imbalanced. As a warrior, you had to chase everything down and hope you could land a hit or two before ranged damage obliterated it all. As someone who could AoE (de)buff, all you had to do was spam that shiz even if had no effect. This also translated to more people being at a rift as detrimental to your loot.

Anyway, I'm fine with SL event iterations. It's not all about tagging the boss anymore. Participate in the earlier phases and you get rewarded. You don't have to chase achievements from the bosses, either. Mostly. Yeah, long *** runs suck, and portal camping moochers suck, too, but I've long been of the mind that the trick to get people participating isn't to nerf the bosses, but to improve rewards all around.

Invasion or no, closing a level 5+ rift should reward an appropriate tier stone.

Killing 10 mob invasion packs should reward a stone or equipment cache of the 3 types. Maybe even a 4th if you wanna make open-world oranges (of which I believe Trion should). This'll make Onslaught a more appealing option during non-events.

IAs should also give 1 stone per completion with the same chance at a cache mechanic.

Spread the love, get people out there interacting instead of just hiding in dungeons or waiting for bosses to pop.

Agreed with OP, there should be a better reward for the people completing zone objectives to get that boss to spawn.

+ Reply to Thread