+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paid Skill Exchange

Default Paid Skill Exchange

The idea:

A paid service (real world money - NOT ingame coin) where we could select two of our existing toons and exchange skills between them.

Why I would use it:

I spend the bulk of my time on my main, Arthritis. My alts exist ONLY to serve him. My main only has one gathering skill, mining and two crafting skills. One of my alts has two gathering skills, butchering and foraging, and one crafting skill.

I would use this paid service to exchange my main's two crafting skills with my one alt's two gathering skills so that I could then do ALL my gathering on my main and leave crafting to my alts.

What makes this attractive:
    Being able to do this would allow me (and other players) to keep ALL the recipes they have learned. No need to unlearn a skill and lose everything.

As it is now AND as it has always been since the launch of Rift I will continue to switch between toons to get stuff done. Theres not a chance in >##< that I'm going to unlearn any of my skills and start over from scratch.

But in light of Trion's recent changes to core aspects of the game that no one asked for and, from what I've seen, no one approves of, perhaps the fine folks there can be pursuaded to actually offer something we have asked for, do approve of AND will pay real money for.

$10 an exchange with say....a 90 day cooldown? Or maybe 180 days would be better.....?

I see this great idea as being in keeping with what appears to be Trion's philosophy regarding Rift subscribers and hope to see it implemented soon.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Arthritis; 12-08-2012 at 02:07 AM.
    If you're feeling down maybe one of these links will cheer you up. Only one way to know for certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noneMROp_E8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdtm1Ezu3ro

In light of the layoffs at Trion lets forget this paid service having any cooldown. $10 per skill switch, as often as you wanna do it.
    If you're feeling down maybe one of these links will cheer you up. Only one way to know for certain.

have not bothered myself as crafting beyond my mains needs is not my cup of tea but afaik you dont lose any skills when you unlearn them, just the ability to use them.
    you can always swap in and out for a fee at the respective trainers.
    i cant say for sure tho so cause ive never done it
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    have not bothered myself as crafting beyond my mains needs is not my cup of tea but afaik you dont lose any skills when you unlearn them, just the ability to use them.
    you can always swap in and out for a fee at the respective trainers.
    i cant say for sure tho so cause ive never done it
    Even if this were the case (somehow I doubt that it is and theres not a chance in >##< that I'm going to test it on a toon to see if it is) this is more work than what I'm after and defeats the goal of the idea. I just wanna make my main my gatherer, i.e. mining, butchering and foraging, and then my alts can be relegated to being crafters. In light of Trion firing its employees due to lack of revenue I would think they would welcome offering this paid service. I've already maxxed out the nine skills on all my toons and would welcome the opportunity to switch skills between them.

My dollars await Trion's decision on this idea.

No thanks as it's going to mess up achievements.

Want an Armoursmith with 100,000,000 blue items made? Switch to alchemist, make pots, sell pots, profit, change back.

The only way it would work would be if achievements were erased on doing it, and that would upset people.

It is nothing to change, just delete your old skill, spend about 350 plat on mats for the new one, spend 90 minutes crafting or two days leisurely gathering. No need to dumb the game down with real dollars. Then it becomes pay to win to the extreme.

I've done this twice since SL and am about to do the third. It's trivial.

The other real issue this would also allow is to use one high level to get the profession to max, give to a level 7 alt, repeat until you had them all, then put all gathering, mining and leather on the high.

Gold farmer's delight and an exploit.
    Last edited by Shibi; 12-13-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    འགྲོ་རྣམས་བྱང་ཆུབ་ཐོབ་ཕྱིར་དུ། །

Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    No thanks as it's going to mess up achievements.

Want an Armoursmith with 100,000,000 blue items made? Switch to alchemist, make pots, sell pots, profit, change back.

The only way it would work would be if achievements were erased on doing it, and that would upset people.

It is nothing to change, just delete your old skill, spend about 350 plat on mats for the new one, spend 90 minutes crafting or two days leisurely gathering. No need to dumb the game down with real dollars. Then it becomes pay to win to the extreme.

I've done this twice since SL and am about to do the third. It's trivial.

The other real issue this would also allow is to use one high level to get the profession to max, give to a level 7 alt, repeat until you had them all, then put all gathering, mining and leather on the high.

Gold farmer's delight and an exploit.
    Who the hell cares about achievements? Achievements mean nothing. Rift is not like DC Universe Online where achievements actually matter. Go ahead and erase my achievements. I really could care less.

Like I said, I will continue to play as I have always done with the choices that I made last year but it would be convenient, for me at least, to be able to switch out already learned skills from one of my toons to another without losing all the recipes I've gathered.

MY primary interest in this paid service is so I can spend the maximum amount of time on my main gathering all the crafting materials that I need for the crafting dailies/ weeklies as well as the gear I craft for myself and stay in LFG queue for random experts, run crifts, GHRifts and the occassional DRR. The fact that Trion offering this paid service would help their bottom line is just icing on the cake.

Hell, I'd be happy to pay for the service as a one-time-only thing just to play my main more.

As for your gold farming, I've never participated in the practice myself. I was told that in World of Warcraft gold farmers primary source of coin is from hacking accounts so I imagine that it would be the same with Rift and I will not knowingly have any part of it. So if you're gold farming I, for one, would appreciate it if you would stop immediately. Your kind are not welcome in Rift.

I look forward to Trion adding this excellent service to Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post
    Who the hell cares about achievements? Achievements mean nothing. Rift is not like DC Universe Online where achievements actually matter. Go ahead and erase my achievements. I really could care less.
    But others will. Some people go to great lengths for achievements, and Trion has to take them into consideration.

I wouldn't mind this as a one-time option per account, but I don't think it should be available for any amount of real money. Once you start offering things that impact game play for actual currency, you're headed down the path to F2P and that is a slippery slope. I maintain that only meaningless fluff items, subscription time, CE's and expansions should be available through Deeps Depot.
    Last edited by Kithiel; 12-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post

As for your gold farming, I've never participated in the practice myself. I was told that in World of Warcraft gold farmers primary source of coin is from hacking accounts so I imagine that it would be the same with Rift and I will not knowingly have any part of it. So if you're gold farming I, for one, would appreciate it if you would stop immediately. Your kind are not welcome in Rift.
    Miss much?

+ Reply to Thread