+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Spamming Is An Issue: TRION please read!!

Default Spamming Is An Issue: TRION please read!!

Dimension Spam
    Guild Spam
    "WTS" Spam

This has quickly snowballed out of control. It is easily my biggest pet peeve in Rift... and actually really does impact how much I enjoy my time in the game. I'm not overly sensitive either... it's like every 2nd line of chat is WTS/Guild/Trade spam. It's bad... and when someone pushes themselves onto my screens it's usually 3-4 lines of spam too forcing out pertinent general chatter that I am actually interested in reading.

Option 1: "Well just use your ignore, herpaderpa." No. I'm sorry but I play multiple alts and would be CONSTANTLY sitting here micromanaging ignore. That is NOT my idea of a fun time. Not only that, but just because you Dimension/Guild/Trade spam in general chats doesn't necessarily mean that I want to remove whatever chunk of the population from my activities. You probably are an ok person and fine to group with.

Option 2: "Well... duuuurrrr... just turn off your chats!" No. I am not interested in segregating myself and removing the "MMO" portion of this game just because someone has OCD and can't control themselves.

TRION I PROPOSE: I have done some research and apparently there are some things in the GUI that prevents people from taking information from general chats to be able to use it in addons. Since you are steadfast about relinquishing chat information for addon use... why do you not have a better filter system where I can add words myself to a list that just removes the entire chunk of chat from whomeever says it?

For example I want to add "WTS" to a filter list so the following happens:

WITHOUT FILTER:
    Bob: Anyone up for some dungeon runs?
    OCDguy: WTS [item1] 60plats, [item2] 30 plats, [item3] 70plats,
    [item4]100plats,
    [item5]20plats
    Me: Yeah Bob, add me to the group I'm in!

WITH FILTER:
    Bob: Anyone up for some dungeon runs?
    Me: Yeah Bob, add me to the group I'm in!

See: the game would NOT add OCDguy to any ignore list... but automatically just not show what he has to say on my screen.

I would also add whatever spam of the month... words like "Anal" I would just automatically queue that in there... and Guild... and progression... and dimension... basically whatever filter list that I control but doesn't use my ignore list....

I would also love for that to be a global setting for ALL of my alts so I don't have to reset it up for each character.

Is something like this in the works, TRION? Thanks for your response.

Please guys... please just don't flame this thread. Thanks.

Ascendant

Option 1: "Well just use your ignore, herpaderpa." No. I'm sorry but I play multiple alts and would be CONSTANTLY sitting here micromanaging ignore. That is NOT my idea of a fun time. Not only that, but just because you Dimension/Guild/Trade spam in general chats doesn't necessarily mean that I want to remove whatever chunk of the population from my activities. You probably are an ok person and fine to group with.
    This... if it pisses you off so much, then do it. Obviously you don't care enough

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    This... if it pisses you off so much, then do it. Obviously you don't care enough
    1) this isn't a place to try to degenerate the conversation into flames... so if you disagree that's fine but the approach you just made here is for sure trolling to try to illicit some response.

2) I currently have 5 alts through 50+ leveling. I do not have the time to sit here and micromanage ignore lists and continually add or remove people on each and every alt. As much as I dislike chat, micromanaging things like this.... things that could EASILY be made accessible to addons (like Bad Boy in WOW) OR a better filter system by TRION if they can't relinquish that power to addon creators... I dislike even more.

Ascendant

This isn't a degeneration of a thread, nor is it trolling. If you don't want to ignore the people that annoy you, then obviously they don't annoy you to enough to warrant you ignoring them on all 5 toons. That is common logic. Obviously it only bugged you enough to cry on the forums a bit.

My only other advice would be to learn to NOT read chat every time someone posts something?

Grats tho on trying to start a flame war by trying to insulting a valid comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    This isn't a degeneration of a thread, nor is it trolling. If you don't want to ignore the people that annoy you, then obviously they don't annoy you to enough to warrant you ignoring them on all 5 toons. That is common logic. Obviously it only bugged you enough to cry on the forums a bit.

My only other advice would be to learn to NOT read chat every time someone posts something?

Grats tho on trying to start a flame war by trying to insulting a valid comment.
    You completely ignored my posts instead are opting to try to flame bait and degenerate this thread.

I am actually going to add you to ignore. Ironic, yeah? EDIT: annnnd done. Don't even bother responding.
    Last edited by Auction; 12-05-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Auction View Post
    Please guys... please just don't flame this thread. Thanks.
    And within 5 min of the thread start along comes the first flame.

And guess who it was... (no prizes given out for the correct answer)

And even with him on my ignore list I just know it's a flame followed by an argument.

Some people never learn. They just can't help themselves.

Wonder if there is an achieve for being on the most ignore lists?

Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    And within 5 min of the thread start along comes the first flame.

And guess who it was... (no prizes given out for the correct answer)

And even with him on my ignore list I just know it's a flame followed by an argument.

Some people never learn. They just can't help themselves.

Wonder if there is an achieve for being on the most ignore lists?
    LOL - I don't even use the forums that often... I take it the resident troll decided to try to drop kick my thread.... gee I wonder if said individual is OCDguy also in game and thus worried when something like this is actually implemented in some form. hehe

Expand trade channels to global instead of just main cities and enforce advertising there. Could probably add a Dimensions global for people to hype their stuff, too. Otherwise, there is LFG while the general level ranges are probably gonna remain your mixed bag of trolling and genuinely helpful info. I know I turned mine off the other day because someone grievously ignorant about Obamacare, of all things, felt the need to enlighten us on their misconceptions. But that's pretty much gonna happen on any global channel, especially without cooldowns on how often you can send messages to emphasize quality over quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Expand trade channels to global instead of just main cities and enforce advertising there. Could probably add a Dimensions global for people to hype their stuff, too. Otherwise, there is LFG while the general level ranges are probably gonna remain your mixed bag of trolling and genuinely helpful info. I know I turned mine off the other day because someone grievously ignorant about Obamacare, of all things, felt the need to enlighten us on their misconceptions. But that's pretty much gonna happen on any global channel, especially without cooldowns on how often you can send messages to emphasize quality over quantity.
    The only issue would be enforcement. They would have to take a hard stance on "there's a Looking for Guild feature... stop spamming general chats" "there's a global trade channel now... stop spamming general chats" "there's a dimension channel... stop spamming general chats" ... here's a 1 day ban, 2 day ban, 3 day ban, week ban.... permaban. (That may be a tad harsh but you spammers really piss me off... it's like a smoker suddenly lighting up inside a theater as if you owned the joint and to hell with everyone around you - it's THEIR fault they are in YOUR smoke after all.)
    Last edited by Auction; 12-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.

You sure are making a complex issue with complex fixes and awkward circumstances, for such a simple thing.

I hate ciggs but, drawing the analogy of someone trying to sell stuff in chat to someone smoking in a movie theater? I think you need to step back from the PC for a bit~ This is a non issue entirely.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ignoring is your tool to moderate what you want to see - Use it. Also if it means ignoring the same person from five characters - you can go to the suggestions forums and put a voice in on the suggestions for making ignore account wide - Unless you intend on ignoring half of the shard, it shouldn't be that much work. If it is a case of you ignoring say, 40-50 people, I'd suggest leaving the better part of the channels and join a relatively big guild instead for your grouping needs. No matter how much man-power Trion would put into managing the chat, no one can stop people from posting what they want to buy/see/do/lick every five or so minutes. If it becomes blatant spam (Ie, repeated messages every 2-ish seconds) the filter should kick in - You can only send so and so many messages to the world-wide channels. The filter will keep people from writing again for a little while, but as long as it's there people can't really spam-spam.
    No amount of man-power will be able to get people to put things in respective channels either, some people will always just use the level bracket chats because they want to make sure everyone has a chance at seeing them and the level bracket chats are automatically joined. There are also no real purposes for the level bracket chats, they've always been a bucket of mixed chatter, wts my shining fish and hey guys let's go kill dragons.

Alternatively, if you do not want to ignore or leave the channels, I would suggest whispering the people who are worst at whatever you don't like, and ask them (kindly) if they would reconsider their writing habits. People will for the most part react in a friendly manner when one tries to communicate with them (kindly) - some will probably rage though, and maybe put you on ignore instead, but then again you probably didn't want to ever group with someone that temperamental.
    Last edited by Talila; 12-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.

@OP, I love your idea.

Chat is so spammy, I always have it off. I grew tired of the exact things you mentioned.

Awesome idea.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

As much as I dislike putting anyone on ignore, I have found myself only doing it to people that continuously spam for their dimension. I'm fine with WTB/WTS/WTT if it's done in moderation (and on a busy shard during peak hours, sometimes you don't see it past the first time since someone helped em out!)

I would SO much prefer an in-game utility that you can utilize to post up bulletins. Almost like a town hall board or something to make it more... "Rift" like than just making it some sort of web extension. You'd be able to post up your notices linking any items you're selling or wanting to trade/buy and of course if you wanted to advertise for your dimension.

Then again I guess people would still not utilize it and just continue to spam every chat possible ;.;

@Riane that's a great idea as well.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

It doesn't matter what kind of filter you make, they will merely change tactics to reach as many people as possible. It is the nature of advertising.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast