• 1 Post By Mendeleev
  • 1 Post By Aeonblade
  • 1 Post By Reticularize
  • 2 Post By Hasmonean

Thread: Spectator mode for raids

Soulwalker

Default Spectator mode for raids

Dear Trion,

For 2.1, please include a spectator mode for raids. A lot of people don't get to see the raid content and this would help them get exposed to the content. Also, it could be used for members of a guild that are waiting to get into a raid or have been designated as a backup for the raid.

Thanks.

Anc

lots of people do livestreams of their raids.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Anc View Post
    lots of people do livestreams of their raids.
    The point of having a spectator mode is being able to control the POV and see the raid for different angles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendeleev View Post
    Dear Trion,

For 2.1, please include a spectator mode for raids. A lot of people don't get to see the raid content and this would help them get exposed to the content. Also, it could be used for members of a guild that are waiting to get into a raid or have been designated as a backup for the raid.

Thanks.
    Really is a good idea, the technology already exists and it might be great to allow "invited" spectators.

For obvious reasons you don't just want these open to the general public. However having say your extra raiders or friends being able to watch would be great.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendeleev View Post
    The point of having a spectator mode is being able to control the POV and see the raid for different angles, etc.
    This, livestreams are entertaining for about 5 minutes then you realize it's super low quality video with some dude mouth breathing in the background.

Ugh. True spectator mode would be very cool IMO.
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    Really is a good idea, the technology already exists and it might be great to allow "invited" spectators.

For obvious reasons you don't just want these open to the general public. However having say your extra raiders or friends being able to watch would be great.
    I disagree. I think that it would be very useful (in some cases) to invite the general public. They already have this system in place, of course, for dimensions, and could easily adapt it.

The biggest technological challenge is in the load. You don't want to introduce server lag into an encounter because there are too many people "watching". The best way to solve that, IMHO, is to provide a single stream that flows from a virtual (invisible) "player" to a secondary "spectator server", and then all of the spectators can feed off of that server without increasing the server load on the original infrastructure that's running the raid.

It might (depending on how point of view is implemented) be possible for a spectator to have some freedom to look around or shift perspective, but that's probably going to be somewhat limited (and really, should be... you don't want spectators roaming off to explore things that a member of the raid couldn't see without getting past bad guys.)
    Harmil is:
    Mev - 60 Mage (Archon, Harbalist, Chloro) Faeblight
    Pso - 50 Rogue Faeblight
    <Ascended of Corthana>
    Gaming blog: http://ajsgaming.blogspot.com/

Ascendant

IMO this would be very nice, but inefficient. Yea the technology exists, but there is a high potential that having extra people in the encounter (even as spectators) could potentially reduce FPS more than normal. As for now, as this isn't available, just watch livestreams. And no, they are not all mouthbreathers with poor quality. check again.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Aeonblade View Post
    with some dude mouth breathing in the background.
    This doesn't enhance your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    IMO this would be very nice, but inefficient. Yea the technology exists, but there is a high potential that having extra people in the encounter (even as spectators) could potentially reduce FPS more than normal. As for now, as this isn't available, just watch livestreams. And no, they are not all mouthbreathers with poor quality. check again.
    I'd rather not, too risky

On a side note I did see an entertaining livestream once before on D3, 4 koreans trying to kill Diablo on Inferno 2.5 days after the game came out. I have never heard such a ruckus of almost words in my life. Hilarity.
    Last edited by Aeonblade; 12-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Are you telling me Evil is going to start streaming again? =)

As for the person disagreeing with me, sorry but they must be invite only. A lot of guilds don't want to share strats right away, if at all. Not to mention that having it public would open up all kinds of load/crashing abuse that is simply unsustainable.

If you don't like that... I really don't care. These are things that Trion would 110% be required to do if they allowed any kind of spectators or risk losing those raiders who don't want the spectators at all.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    Are you telling me Evil is going to start streaming again? =)

As for the person disagreeing with me, sorry but they must be invite only. A lot of guilds don't want to share strats right away, if at all. Not to mention that having it public would open up all kinds of load/crashing abuse that is simply unsustainable.

If you don't like that... I really don't care. These are things that Trion would 110% be required to do if they allowed any kind of spectators or risk losing those raiders who don't want the spectators at all.
    I never said anything about it being public. 20 man raids on some encounters can lag people even on low graphics. If extra people (even from a guild) were to show up to a (private) viewing that could potentially lag it out from extra entities in the zone.

Also first sentence of my post... States i like the idea.

Bleh, I don't want to be a spectator - I want to be the BOSS.

Sure would screw up the KBM timers
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

+ Reply to Thread