+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Make level 21-50 "Buy To Play" while keeping SL content Subscription only

Default Make level 21-50 "Buy To Play" while keeping SL content Subscription only

I want to bring light to this idea once again.

At the moment level 1-20 is Free to play for as long as you want.

21-50 Vanilla Rift, is still sub fee to play.

While a new expansion pack in a Themepark MMO, will make players jump to a new level range (50-60) and make vanilla Rift content pretty much useless, since it has no effect on endgame progression.

this always happen in modern day themepark MMO when they release new level caps, obviously.

Well the population in Rift been going down.
    As a poster on MMORPG.com has pointed out

MMO gamers tend to flock to where they are comfortable there is a population. Even if the game is lacking. Population brings in players.

and Rift is clearly showing that its population is going down, not up. Both in the game, and out.

You can improve the perception of population, by making the Vanilla Game, more active and alive with players by going a "Buy to Play" rout, like recent GW2.

This could generate new income, for both returning players and new players. oh course have some restrictions to the character and accounts, so they be willing to pay to unlock certain things.

At the same time, keep Storm Legion content, Subscription model only. no account unlocks, and none of that.
    Let SL community stay the way it is. None of this effects the current SL player base.

once the population comes in, start advertising their growth in population.

People see that, and more will want to join the game.

This is great for both the company as well as the consumers of Rift.
    -------------------------------------------

to sum this up, things would look like this

Level [1------20F2P](21--------50B2P){StormLegion Sub}

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Plane Walker

That's a lot of content for just buying the game.

Plane Touched

You'll probably get a lot of **** for this, but I like it.

It isn't like more than half the zones weren't ghost towns prior to the expansion anyway; lucky to even see zone events completed in most of them. Leveling feels like a weird and unnecessary stopgap now because I don't even see people in IAs where previously you'd have at least a solid group on Greybriar in Freemarch. Some new faces would at least make it not so boring and actually expedite the process for those who are just wanting to get to where Trion puts the entirety of their focus: the end.

Not to mention it'd lead to inevitable legacy guilds who do "old" content exclusively, seeing through that people get to experience raiding those places at the appropriate level if they wanted to. I don't see what Trion stands to lose. Once people get tired of the level 50 stuff (which is new to them, old to us) they sub up.
    Last edited by psychopsilocybin; 12-03-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Telaran

If you set the barrier at 49 (let it be 99% of the xp to 50 as well), this would be a bit easier to digest. Meaning people wouldn't be cluttering the old raids with Storm Legion greens (After 5 minutes at the auction house, my fresh 50 mage is at 200 hit, and outside of Infernal Dawn, I don't see where they could manage 'progression' on non-hit slots (the greens are a bit better than GSB drops if I remember right).

That said though, this isn't something I'd like to see them do, what I would like to see them do is add gloamwood/stonefield to the demo section of the game as well as upping the 'caps' on their accounts (level 25-30, can equipt purples, slight higher coin cap).

Alternatively, a cheaper subscription for non-SL accounts could work here. Trion have been working very hard for our sub fees, and the vanilla content will be mostly left as it is (aside from balancing souls and basic dimensions). Halfing the sub-fee of non-SL enabled accounts could work wonders for getting people back into the game.

And yeah, you are probably going to get a bit of hassle for this, but I think you're immune to hassle nowadays

Ascendant

There are restrictions in place for lite players that stops it from becoming a free ride for the gold farmers. If you make it B2P to 50 , you would have to remove some of those restrictions such as the plat cap and the inability to sell on the AH.
    You would have very few people that would want to play to 50 with those two in place.

If you think B2P would take care of the gold farmer concern, go play GW2 and see how effective that is.

It's certainly a good idea and well thought out, but I have to disagree.

Trion provides a service to us in which we happily subscribe to.

Let's be totally honest here, the whole "B2P" thing in that 'other' game is shady. There have been polls, which I know you've seen, in addition to people admitting how much they've spent on the cash shop just for things like char slots, bag space, keys, etc.

I very much prefer receiving an excellent service from Trion while having the entire game unlocked. I much prefer paying a small monthly fee instead of being nickel and dimed for things that should be free.

I understand you're only speaking of Choco-Rift, and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if Rift cost $60 or so, but it's so cheap that it would be a bit ridiculous.

Just my opinion of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Ridiculous idea. That won't increase the population at all.

People need to get this out of their heads - it's not the cost of the game that put's people off - it's the state of it.

To the average MMO player (Who by the way, is often as dim as a broken lightbulb) - Rift is too confusing. To the more human MMO player - Rift is too broken. There are annoying things (such as the poor graphics engine and the way you bounce when you land on a single speck of dust) that put people off playing.

There's also the way that Rift is probably one of the most openly admitted grind-fests ever. You literally have to rinse and repeat everything to get anywhere - whether it's PvE or PvP.

The PvP is poor because people strongly believe certain things - such as Tank Warriors being able to fully heal in one CD is ridiculous, Rogues shouldn't hit as hard as they do - Clerics shouldn't heal as hard as they do, and Mages shouldn't hit and heal as hard as they do at the same time.

I'm not saying I think those things - I have 2 of every class (4 Guardians and 4 Defiants) - and that's not including the abundance of Alts and (what used to be, during EXP Locks) Twinks.

Anyway - in a nutshell. It isn't the price of Rift, it's the game.

Rift Disciple

Last time i looked Rift was pretty cheap. I doubt that is keeping people away, throwing 30 bucks or whatever into the wind to trying it out.

But if you wanna compare, you look at WoW. I have heard and talked to a lot of people that play it saying their computer can just run it. Its why the graphic on it are so out of date, cause not everyone is running on good computers.

My computer is about 2 years old, it really badly need rams and a new vid card. It can just run it, I lag out so badly in groups of 20 its crazy. Now you take people running on 5 year old computers, which I still know some that do. Rift isnt going to work at all for them.

But personally I rather the pop stay lowish, I wouldnt want this to turn into a mainstream game. Thats where it all goes downhill in my opinion.

Ascendant

Well we know Trion knows your idea because you posted before. And i believe last time you posted it, the majority of forum users thought it was bad. Imo your making it into 2 games. You know why ias are dead in the old world? Everyone wants all the new stuff so no reason to do old content atm. You can buy in game mounts and junk through the store. If it were like GW2 (or the f2p swtor) where you have to buy bag slots or freaking ui elements then i (along with most others) would quit straight out.

Any stats for population you have seen online are made up or based off of indicators like the shard population size. Needless to say those stats can only be considered if you recognize they are off by 100000 in either direction. TRION is the only company that truely knows the population. Imo its fine. It hasent "gone down" unless you mean the bad wow players that cant handle complex encounters didnt like how thought intensive this game was and left. Population on laethys is above what it was before SL and less than release with a noticable drop in bad players.

My opinion is unchanged. I think this idea (along with alot of your other ones) are bad. Not a personal attack, just a personal opinion. I think you should waste your time making your own mmo with your ideas in it... you can then enjoy that with the few other people with similar tastes.
    Last edited by Reticularize; 12-03-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kamashii View Post
    Last time i looked Rift was pretty cheap. I doubt that is keeping people away, throwing 30 bucks or whatever into the wind to trying it out.

But if you wanna compare, you look at WoW. I have heard and talked to a lot of people that play it saying their computer can just run it. Its why the graphic on it are so out of date, cause not everyone is running on good computers.

My computer is about 2 years old, it really badly need rams and a new vid card. It can just run it, I lag out so badly in groups of 20 its crazy. Now you take people running on 5 year old computers, which I still know some that do. Rift isnt going to work at all for them.

But personally I rather the pop stay lowish, I wouldnt want this to turn into a mainstream game. Thats where it all goes downhill in my opinion.
    Mainstream =/= WoW. Poor quality (wow) did not happen because it was mainstream. It happened because of who the game was targetted at (casual preteens who want everything quick and easy)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Everyone wants all the new stuff so no reason to do old content atm.
    It's not just that they're not doing old content at the moment. The game might as well not even have 1-50 and all landmasses, dungeons and raids that are included in it.

If it's going unused apart from a brief slideshow to Storm Legion then just get rid of it. It's hardly possible to call 1-50 a journey now; everything pre-SL has more in common with a singleplayer game than it does an MMO if you're not at the end.
    Last edited by psychopsilocybin; 12-03-2012 at 05:20 AM.

It's a neat idea, but I think it would need to be well planned out to avoid any of the "pitfalls" mentioned in the thread (issues with "old world" raids/dungeons, gold farmers, etc). I think scaling the cap up a bit might be good, tease a little more of the game.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by psychopsilocybin View Post
    everything pre-SL has more in common with a singleplayer game than it does an MMO if you're not at the end.
    This is only because the majority of Rift's population is 50 or higher. Now in my guild I have 8 or so people that just came to Rift and are leveling. We 50+ members are mentoring down to help these new players out. If you think Rift has more in common with a singleplayer game than it does with an MMO try WoW because they have NO feel of an MMO in the leveling areas. At least here there is an attempt at getting leveling players to work together with Zone Events.
    Casualist Jerks
    ET/CT Zone Guild
    Server: Threesprings
    http://www.casualistjerks.com

Champion

O and to the OP and people who think BUY to PLAY would be a good idea. There is already that option.

http://www.amazon.com/Rift-Pc/dp/B00...bxgy_vg_text_y

Buy Rift from Amazon for $9 now this is the Classic version. It will get you the game and 30 Free days of game time. This will get you EXACTLY what you are referring to. The only Limit on it is you have 30 days of game time.
    Casualist Jerks
    ET/CT Zone Guild
    Server: Threesprings
    http://www.casualistjerks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rozel View Post
    That's a lot of content for just buying the game.
    Yeah, but none of it endgame, and the likelihood of future content updates targeting 1-50 is pretty slim.

OP is right that a lack of population turns off most new players. Obviously it's always a problem in MMOs, but short of a re-level system (where you hit the cap then reset to 0 to level again with some kind of bonus to base stats), there's very little reason to play up through the levels again, especially now that the endgamers have tons of new content to work through.

Not a bad idea, but unlikely to happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast