+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grinding xp and mob loot rights

Soulwalker

Default Grinding xp and mob loot rights

Ok, little bit of back story, I found a prime grinding spot to get myself Rhemium, Karthite, and Empyrean Silk recently. Last night I used it to drop the price of just about all of those items down to semi-reasonable prices on the Faeblight Auction House. Since I grinded during the down time I came into No trouble whatsoever. It was perfect for me.

Ok, just now I've went back to this site today, and its crawling with people doing an onslaught that's nearby, no problem from me on that, but as I'm farming people started noticing me, or were doing one of the carnage onslaughts on the mobs I'm tackling, I'm also okay with that. But they aren't killing the mobs most of the time, they wait for me to stack them up nice and neat for them and tag them once. Maybe twice and move on. They contribute absolutely zero to help, while I pull 15k dps and they read at 400 on my chart. I get punished with, "group XP" reducing my take from each mob by 900, or 1200 approximately (depending on the mobs HP) I also get punished by them somehow getting loot rights occasionally, and the mobs I'm mining being free game after they are dead. I understand I am killing their Quest mobs, they should have the right to earn credit on those quests if they participate in the fight, but why get rid of xp and looting tagging rights? If they notice me there and want to actively help me fight I would have no trouble forming a party if asked and sharing the rewards, the I don't own the area.

It has been announced in 50-59 and 60s chat that no one likes this new 'feature' by a number of people over the course of the release. It promotes a leeching mentality. Why would you want to keep something like that in the game? It was added to prevent people from tagging the mob first and slacking because the person knew they would get the reward, but this way makes it so that you don't even have to be the first to get rewarded.

It's not like there are any ways of preventing this either. You could scale the XP reward to a % based on how long the player was in combat with the mob ofer the time the mob was in combat i.e.

(X second of player combat/Y seconds of mob combat) x Mob base xp

that way I get 100% of the XP I deserve for the mob and leecher gets his paltry xp, or a helpful person who shows up halfway through the fight and stays the entire time gets a worthwhile amount. This formula could be neglected when in an actual party easily so members don't have to be on the same mob to benefit. The only problem I foresee is a leecher that tag the mobs when combat starts. I'm sure there's ways to prevent that too, I haven't thought of any, but hey its not my job, it yours.

On my second point of loot rights. I don't know what was wrong with the first come first serve mechanics that have been used in the past. I pulled the mob, I got hit by the mob, why are is another person getting loot rights on some of my mobs? Half the time they don't even loot them leaving the corpse there and preventing respawns. Furthermore, how is it fair that someone can walk to the mob I just killed and as I'm finishing up the group of ones still alive, pull out their mining pick and then just walk away? Or wait for me to finish so he can pickaxe half my loot. I can't believe that was allowed through QA or testing or even came up in a brainstorm session and was approved.

ANY feedback on this from you developers, on anything I've brought up here, would be so appreciated. Even if it's just a "Deal with it" post. I just wanna know it was seen and thought about at least. Some thing's especially the XP rewards I already assume would be monstrous to overhaul again the others probably too. I just want recognition at least.

Soulwalker

Realized this might not be the correct forum for a post like this. Apologies.

Rift Chaser

Mob XP is no longer a significant source of XP. So them tagging your mobs and making you lose 1k XP is really irrelevant. When you need 3-5 million XP to level, it doesn't matter.

I do agree that if you hit the mobs first, you should have full loot rights, including butchering/mining rights. How did you know that they got loot rights? Are you sure the mob just didn't drop any loot? There should be a slight "cooldown" time where only the person who tagged the mobs can butcher/mine them. It shouldn't be long, otherwise the resources go to waste if someone doesn't have those skills but someone who does have them are nearby.

In any case, despite what you think most people are delighted with the change. There's another thread on this somewhere else, and only a few people who didn't realize that mob XP is no longer a primary source of XP were complaining.

They CANNOT make XP scale to damage done. This would open a massive door to griefing and abuse. Just imagine a level 60 running around a zone with people trying to level and 2 shotting all the mobs.
    Last edited by Kaedan; 11-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -
    William G. McAdoo

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
    Mob XP is no longer a significant source of XP. So them tagging your mobs and making you lose 1k XP is really irrelevant. When you need 3-5 million XP to level, it doesn't matter.

I do agree that if you hit the mobs first, you should have full loot rights, including butchering/mining rights. How did you know that they got loot rights? Are you sure the mob just didn't drop any loot? There should be a slight "cooldown" time where only the person who tagged the mobs can butcher/mine them. It shouldn't be long, otherwise the resources go to waste if someone doesn't have those skills but someone who does have them are nearby.

In any case, despite what you think most people are delighted with the change. There's another thread on this somewhere else, and only a few people who didn't realize that mob XP is no longer a primary source of XP were complaining.

They CANNOT make XP scale to damage done. This would open a massive door to griefing and abuse. Just imagine a level 60 running around a zone with people trying to level and 2 shotting all the mobs.
    First off thanks for the input.

The main problem I have is with the farming materials side of things and it seems we agree that the mechanics and how they are now are broken. Easy to solve theoretically, might be difficult to implement like I said. I'll leave that subject to that.

I assume people have gotten loot rights occasionally because I've seen corpses lie on the ground for near 4-5 minutes before disappearing. This does happen rarely from what I've seen. The forage-able ones especially if loot is left on them I can't mine. Again rarely. To me a minor annoyance compared to the opening of foraging to everyone instantly after being killed/looted.

Where we don't agree is with XP. I know XP from mobs isn't great and you would be crazy to grind mobs to level in SL, but I'm still not capped for PA and every little bit counts right? I get 3714 xp for killing a lvl 60, 90k hp mob. If one person tags it, this drops to 25XX I forget the exact digits. that's essentially taking me to 66% of the xp I should get. If two or more come through, even less. I pull 6 90k hp mobs at once that's 22.3k xp a pull versus 15.2k to get 1,200,000 xp, approx to get 1 pa level I have to do about 25 more pulls. I don't want to have that for no reason other than one leecher. (granted someone wont be able to tag that many pulls of mine I'd leave.)

I like a lot of how the change works actually. Especially the updates to quests, I specifically said not to mess with that I think, if not I meant to. And when I'm grinding I've asked people to leave the packs I'm fighting alone unless they are doing the carnage, or another quest, like an IA.

And unless I'm reading and remembering my self wrong, I never said scale damage to the damage done, I realize how that would be terrible. I said scale to the % of time spent attacking the mob. A few Examples again:

I Pull 1 mob, I kill one mob, 100% of the fight I'm there, I get 100% exp.

I pull the same mob again, as I am in the process of fighting it, another player joins the fight. we kill the mob, I get the exact same amount I got in the last example, player 2 gets say 80% because he joined me early in the fight.

Last example I have gotten a mob to 20% and another player sees and joins me, he gets a few hits in, mob dies. again I get 100% but since he was only there for 3-4 attacks he gets 10% of what I get.

You may even be able to adopt this method to instead of using time to using GCDs, as in it took me 15 GCDs to kill the mob and you used abilities on 5 of them, you get 1/3 xp. This might prevent some problems where in the first method a leecher could tag a mob early and sandbag the rest of the fight. There are options available where people wont be 'punished' if someone tags their group like the current system has.

Rift Chaser

Yeah, it seems we agree on loot rights and quest completion sharing, that's good.

The problem I see with your idea for kill XP is the room it leaves for exploitation. Basically, under your idea you could have a pre-max level character gather up 10 or 20 mobs, then have a "buddy" come and 1 or 2 shot them. Your buddy wouldn't get any XP because he's too high level, but you would still get your 100%.

As I see it, Trion chose the best option they had available. If they gave everyone full credit, there would be no point in partying for XP and it would be open for exploitation. If they gave scaling credit, that would open the door for griefing. If they used your system, you'd have the problem I pointed out above.

Really, the fairest way is the way they've chosen. Sure, it has it's downsides, but the alternative downsides are much worse. And I think that's part of the reason they chose to make the primary source of XP questing. They anticipated that "tagging" would happen, so they tried to mitigate XP loss as much as possible without breaking it.
    It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -
    William G. McAdoo

+ Reply to Thread