+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Few more roles!

Default Few more roles!

One of the greatest strengths of Rift is the soul system. With SL you introduced
    one new soul for each calling but for some reason (simply forgot maybe?) number
    of roles remains the same. In a relative sense, we now have less roles than before because of the new soul.
    So please, there is really not one good reason not to add at least 2 additional role slots.
    People with one/two roles wouldn't care, its all the same for them, and people who like to experiment and do raids/solo/pvp would be very thankful.

I dont see a reason why few more role slots wasn't already introduced, together with SL start

I thought it was going to be. I remember folks reporting that more slots were available on PTS or in beta or something - please give us more roles.

Telaran

I disagree. 6 is enough.

Well, as I said in my first post, increasing number of roles won't affect casual players for who one or two roles are enough.
    If you use 2 roles it is all the same for you if you have 4 more to spare or 40 more.

But if you have 6 roles (which really a lot of people do have, raiders mostly), then you are forced to reset your role back and forth every time you want to try something new.

I still can't think of a good reason why number of roles wasn't increased in SL while number of souls did increase.

To give you an example, i have:

61 sin
    61 bard
    61 rifstalker
    ranger-marksman hybrid
    tactician-marksman (solo play)
    NB-RS (PvP)

i would like to try (and possibly have)
    healing tact
    bladedancer
    pvp marksman

see my problem?
    Last edited by Eione; 12-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Minimum of 2 more roles needed.

With SL expansion not only did we add a new soul we also specialized the roles we had more. For example as a cleric must have 3 different roles just for healing as everything is specialized. than add ranged dps, Aoe dps, tank. and have no room for a solo build or an experimental build.

We do need more roles!
    I'm playing a cleric. Too cover current healing needs for raiding I need 3 healing roles (puri, sent, warden). If I do happen to dps in raids it's cabalist for aoe fights and inq for st. That is 5/6 role slots used just for raiding. I also use a tank role specc so I can tank for my guildies in experts, 6/6 roles used.

I love too pvp, yet I've no room for a pvp role or two. I love too solo for abit doing dailys / carnage yet there is no room for a solo tuned role. :sad:
    Every now and then I would like to bring druid or shaman out, no room... I would like too have a defiler specc aswell, no room...
    Rift is about beeing flexible, I don't feel flexible.

I suggest we do get an additional 4 or more role slots at a cost of 100p each.
    Last edited by Dratnuh; 12-03-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    Fatsug - GOD
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings. Daglar
    When!?

Would love more roles aswell. I get that those who only consider themselves healers or DPS is satisfied with the current roles, but for those of us who want to be flexible its a big hinderance.

My current role setup as mage:
    Chlorobinger
    Pyro
    Lock
    Chloro
    Archon
    Pyrobinger

All are used for raid/group content. No space left for PvP or solo specs, and i can easilly think of atleast 2-3 more roles that i would like to have in raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    But the bads are the majority and this needs to work in our favor because there's a lot of us.

4/4 3/3 5/5

10 would be a great start, also double the number of macro slots (and allow for better organization of them to boot!)

^ on the above point, the interface for the macros is terrible. Far too much space allocated to the script and not enough for organization.

Why can't macros be dragged and dropped to re-order?

IMHO move the macro slots to the top 75% of the window, and use the bottom 25% for scripting. Lay them out in a grid rather than a scrolling left nav, thus allowing more to be visible at a time (as the scrolling fails to remember my last position, which is rather annoying).

tl;dr

More soul slots
    More macro slots
    More intelligent macro interface design

Soulwalker

Yes need more rôles.
    6 is not enough to have adapted template for the different situations...
    Tank, Heal, Dps, Support, PvP (each one need different rôles for the situations...)

Rift Chaser

How has this not been addressed yet?

We have 9 souls but only 6 slots to play around with.

Why can i not walk around with AT LEAST 1 spec for each soul?

Rift soul system is supposed to be about diversity, but this seriously hinders that.

Soulwalker

Default Still hoping

Pleeeeeeeeeease give us more roles hate to beg, but yet again had to delete a spec I liked just to test out another spec and it is no fun clearing all action bars and redoing in order to do this. Also just as a throw in some more macro spots would be nice as well but minor compared to need for more roles

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dratnuh View Post
    We do need more roles!
    I'm playing a cleric. Too cover current healing needs for raiding I need 3 healing roles (puri, sent, warden). If I do happen to dps in raids it's cabalist for aoe fights and inq for st. That is 5/6 role slots used just for raiding. I also use a tank role specc so I can tank for my guildies in experts, 6/6 roles used.

I love too pvp, yet I've no room for a pvp role or two. I love too solo for abit doing dailys / carnage yet there is no room for a solo tuned role. :sad:
    Every now and then I would like to bring druid or shaman out, no room... I would like too have a defiler specc aswell, no room...
    Rift is about beeing flexible, I don't feel flexible.

I suggest we do get an additional 4 or more role slots at a cost of 100p each.
    I believe the problem you are addressing here is not that you have too few roles, but that the roles you have are too specialized. We should not need more than one healing soul to get the general job done. (I am not saying to get rid of the other souls, diversity is good, all three healing souls should be able to do the job in an expert. The specialization should be in how it is accomplished so that different people can adapt a role to their game play style.) Then you can have two souls for those specialized boss encounters or PvP or whatever. What is broken here is the soul trees not the role slots.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by nemecis View Post
    10 would be a great start, also double the number of macro slots (and allow for better organization of them to boot!)

^ on the above point, the interface for the macros is terrible. Far too much space allocated to the script and not enough for organization.

Why can't macros be dragged and dropped to re-order?

IMHO move the macro slots to the top 75% of the window, and use the bottom 25% for scripting. Lay them out in a grid rather than a scrolling left nav, thus allowing more to be visible at a time (as the scrolling fails to remember my last position, which is rather annoying).

tl;dr

More soul slots
    More macro slots
    More intelligent macro interface design
    If you want more organization to your macros try numbering them based on the role. i.e. 4.1 Builder, 4.2 Finisher, etc.

If they do then great but dam, I dont even use more than 3 ATM on any of my classes and you guys want more?

This is simply a guess, but I imagine "new role slot" will be a tag line on a 2.x patch which has fewer things of interest. Believe a dev once stated that 'give them 100 role slots and they'll ask for 101'. In all seriousness, however, just giving an unlimited number of role slots is a bad idea. So where do we draw the line?

That's where content size of patches comes in. Either due to the amount of development/code work required or simply the fact that not all major patches are created equal, you want to spread out the additions to the game. 1.11 had a HUGE amount of content to it; 2.0 had a HUGE amount of content to it; 2.1 had a significant amount of content (new raid), world event, and significant amounts of bug fixing and class balancing. I imagine that either as an additional benefit to a patch that is otherwise less impressive, or simply as an addition when the code/dev time is available, we'll see another role in the future. Spacing out the giving of additional roles is key to 1) players feeling the desire for more roles, 2) the good feeling the players then get when that desire is satisfied by the implementation.

That said, I could simply be wrong and the dev team may believe that by limiting players to 6 roles it forces them to make decisions based on their own cost/benefit analysis. As a mage, I'm currently keeping:
    Chloro
    Chloroharb
    61 Harb
    61 Lock
    61 Ele
    Pyroharb

I've given up picking up an aoe spec or a specifically designed solo spec, due to the fact that I can still do some aoe in several of the specs and that 61 harb can solo well enough for what I need. I've made this decision based on my own priorities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast