+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pay 2 Play

  1. #1
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    446

    Default Pay 2 Play

    Do you think this would work:

    Real "play-to-play", not monthly subscription.
    Retail time cards available from game shops for X amount of play time, like prepaid cell phone deals.
    Topups online via Account Management, with email notification of pending expiry of time.
    Of course the "monthly" plan option would still be an option with those wishing to convert to the hourly rate able to do so.

    Any Ideas people?

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Thats what they do... its all digital. You get 720 hours of gameplay a month for $15. They even charge you at the end of that conaecutive 720 hours so you dont miss out on play time.


    Strange that sounds like subscription... and pay to play? Yes, i think so.

    Only downside (which i know you were getting at) is you cant "save hours". Personally i think it would be a pain to monitor every hour... if i ran out in the middle of a raid/dungeon/warfront (heck while i was playing at all) i would get pissed. I would have to run to a store and purchase a new gamecard (if they were open) get home and apply it just to be kicked from whatever i was doing. No thank you

  3. #3
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    They would then have to come up with a "value" for play time and that creates issues. One of the things that makes a subscription game work is that you get to play as much as you want for a flat rate. The minute you put a specific value on a minute you create a " do I really want to pay that much a minute. This creates a barrier. It's why even "pre-paid" phone companies like Metro-PCS and others are actually doing "unlimited" monthly plans now.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    They would then have to come up with a "value" for play time and that creates issues. One of the things that makes a subscription game work is that you get to play as much as you want for a flat rate. The minute you put a specific value on a minute you create a " do I really want to pay that much a minute. This creates a barrier. It's why even "pre-paid" phone companies like Metro-PCS and others are actually doing "unlimited" monthly plans now.
    Psh you and your marketing logic.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    460

    Default

    The current system is roughly 30-50 pennies a day, depending on what kind of renewal choice you have made. Subscription MMOs are very inexpensive to play. If it aint broke....

  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Thats what they do... its all digital. You get 720 hours of gameplay a month for $15. They even charge you at the end of that conaecutive 720 hours so you dont miss out on play time.


    Strange that sounds like subscription... and pay to play? Yes, i think so.

    Only downside (which i know you were getting at) is you cant "save hours". Personally i think it would be a pain to monitor every hour... if i ran out in the middle of a raid/dungeon/warfront (heck while i was playing at all) i would get pissed. I would have to run to a store and purchase a new gamecard (if they were open) get home and apply it just to be kicked from whatever i was doing. No thank you
    I read your post. I gather you either didn't read mine or didn't understand it.

    A game card, that you imagine having to run to the store to purchase, would be an option.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    I read your post. I gather you either didn't read mine or didn't understand it.

    A game card, that you imagine having to run to the store to purchase, would be an option.
    No i read yours, it was bad. As i stated in my post...

    I stated in my post why its bad. I stated what Trion already has in place as pay to play (which is also pay to play by definition) and stated reasons why your "minute cards" for rift would be bad (the d/c after minutes were up).

    Try a reading comprehension class. It will do you wonders.

    Play again
    Last edited by Reticularize; 11-23-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: To be more clear

  8. #8
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    They would then have to come up with a "value" for play time and that creates issues. One of the things that makes a subscription game work is that you get to play as much as you want for a flat rate. The minute you put a specific value on a minute you create a " do I really want to pay that much a minute. This creates a barrier. It's why even "pre-paid" phone companies like Metro-PCS and others are actually doing "unlimited" monthly plans now.
    Yes "pre-paid" phone companied give you an option. Thats what the OP was about.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kharvyn View Post
    The current system is roughly 30-50 pennies a day, depending on what kind of renewal choice you have made. Subscription MMOs are very inexpensive to play. If it aint broke....
    the key phrase here is "If it aint broke.. "

    I think it would be nice to have the option NOT to attempt to play (therefore not pay for it) when it IS broke.
    Last edited by Woftam; 11-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Do you think the MMO companies have not already considered such models? The pre-paid phone companies are cutting down on the options. The "classic" pre-paid plans are becoming harder and harder to get because the amount of money to administer them is not as profitable as the "unlimited" plans. there is a reason they are selling these "unlimited", "no-contract" plans HARD, because they want to do away with the classic model because it is not profitable for them.

    This is why NO MMO company has done it. They do Buy to play, subscription (pay to play) and "free" to play, because the model simply doesn't work. These companies are in business to make money and they only give players options if there is a profit motive. There is no profit motive for this.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  11. #11
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    No i read yours, it was bad. As i stated in my post...

    I stated in my post why its bad. I stated what Trion already has in place as pay to play (which is also pay to play by definition) and stated reasons why your "minute cards" for rift would be bad (the d/c after minutes were up).

    Try a reading comprehension class. It will do you wonders.

    Play again
    go for it dude, flame ya ego out.
    Something posetive to add maybe?

  12. #12
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    Yes "pre-paid" phone companied give you an option. Thats what the OP was about.
    And i discounted that because of the ending in my quote. Not a horirble idea, I just dont like it

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    go for it dude, flame ya ego out.
    Something posetive to add maybe?
    How is that flaming my ego? I claimed nothing about myself to boost my ego. I merely discounted your theories and brought that to light (in my own opinions). I never once said any "i have a bigger epeen than you" statements.

    Try again later

  14. #14
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Try a reading comprehension class. It will do you wonders.
    Fine, you don't like my idea, so belittle me.
    You have totally missed the point of the OP, it was intended to gather ideas oh how it WOULD work.

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    Yes "pre-paid" phone companied give you an option. Thats what the OP was about.
    Funny, you JUST said I understood the OP...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts