+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Retiring Old Characters: a way to remove a barrier to Storm Legion

Rift Disciple

Default Retiring Old Characters: a way to remove a barrier to Storm Legion

I've actually suggested this before just on the general principle of giving alt-oholics something to do with their alts but now it has more relevance for me: I'll confess, afer the patch that rolled out the new souls, I haven't been able to do more than log into Rift, look around, then log out.

Why? I have many alts, including 3 primary 50s, they each have at least 3 roles and all those trees have been reset. Worse, I've got to tweak a zillion macros. That's a ton of messing around just to play again and it just isn't appealing. In time I'll be able to face that but as with my last return to Rift, what I'd really prefer to do is, frankly, start new characters. That way I can learn the new trees and create macros as needed as I go.

But this time around, I've got very nice collections of artifacts, titles, mounts, pets, etc., which I hate to give up. So, rather than face all that, I'm just not playing. Sooner or later I'll no doubt get the urge to play Rift again, unless something better comes along, but it would sure look more attractive if I could simply retire my level 50s and have some new toons inherit their 'fun' stuff. I wouldn't mind some sort of benefit for my gear and such (end game tokens? level pots?) but I'd be happy just to be able to move my pets/mounts/artifacts to a new toon. Would be nice to get at least a partial value for rep and such as well (Daddy put in a word for me with the various factions

I've always enjoyed leveling toons in Rift. Any help for an alt-oholic on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Qbalrog View Post
    I've actually suggested this before just on the general principle of giving alt-oholics something to do with their alts but now it has more relevance for me: I'll confess, afer the patch that rolled out the new souls, I haven't been able to do more than log into Rift, look around, then log out.

Why? I have many alts, including 3 primary 50s, they each have at least 3 roles and all those trees have been reset. Worse, I've got to tweak a zillion macros. That's a ton of messing around just to play again and it just isn't appealing. In time I'll be able to face that but as with my last return to Rift, what I'd really prefer to do is, frankly, start new characters. That way I can learn the new trees and create macros as needed as I go.

But this time around, I've got very nice collections of artifacts, titles, mounts, pets, etc., which I hate to give up. So, rather than face all that, I'm just not playing. Sooner or later I'll no doubt get the urge to play Rift again, unless something better comes along, but it would sure look more attractive if I could simply retire my level 50s and have some new toons inherit their 'fun' stuff. I wouldn't mind some sort of benefit for my gear and such (end game tokens? level pots?) but I'd be happy just to be able to move my pets/mounts/artifacts to a new toon. Would be nice to get at least a partial value for rep and such as well (Daddy put in a word for me with the various factions

I've always enjoyed leveling toons in Rift. Any help for an alt-oholic on this?
    The one thing you are not is an Alt-oholic. If you were an alt-oholic you would be wanting to do it all again: achievements, artifacts, mounts, pets everything.

It also seems from your post you do not play Rift either, so please do not ask for changes to a game you do not play.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

So, the effort is too much to re-tweak all your macros and specs when they change. Your solution to something that you say takes too much time is to implement something that would take even more time?

It takes too long to respec my level 50 toon. I'd be much easier just to re-roll from 1.

Ummmmmmm?

I don't follow this logic one bit. I absolutely don't.

Also, what the above guy said. When I played Eq2 the altaholics were all about logging on their alt just to run their ALT through the same zones we just did, for the achievs. This is why we had stuff called alt runs. Real alt-a-holics run a zone, and do the same damn thing they just got done doing on their alt, cause they love it. etc etc. They liked earning things on separate toons because they felt they were significant separate toons, not two toons simply played by one person who has experienced X content. The premise still confuses me. Desiring something that takes far more work because you don't want to endure something that takes a fraction of the time.
    Last edited by Violacea; 11-21-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I actually sorta get that. It's in some ways hard to jump in and make a fresh 50 build for a Tempest. It takes a long time to level from 1, but it's not hard.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Walker

Question: How do you eat an Elephant?

Answer: One bite at a time....

I too am an altoholic. I have 8 characters at 50+. My suggestion to the OP is to spend an entire evening researching the forums to find just ONE solo/questing spec for each character class (there are enough guides posted to do this pretty quickly). They may not be your favorite spec but it will set your feet on the path. Set up your macros, spend a little time on the dummies with each and log out for the day. Next time you log in, play the character you want and make some progress. Log out again. After you do this a couple times and you find yourself needing a break, go research a second build w/ one (or more) class. Set it up and practice a bit. Before too long, you'll have all your guys back up to speed. You'll keep all the fluff they have earned and you may just find that you enjoy the game again.

Don't feel that you have to completely redux all specs on all characters in one day. All of my characters have at least one "roll" not set up yet. Still, I am truly enjoying all the changes. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    The one thing you are not is an Alt-oholic. If you were an alt-oholic you would be wanting to do it all again: achievements, artifacts, mounts, pets everything.
    An "altoholic" simply refers to one who creates many characters, nothing more.
    There is no such thing as "free to play" in the MMO world. If nobody was paying, the game would shut down, and you wouldn't be playing. Piggybacking and getting a free/cheap ride on people who do pay doesn't make a game "free to play", it just means someone else is paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinChuck View Post
    An "altoholic" simply refers to one who creates many characters, nothing more.
    No that would be a player with alts. An alt-ohlic is a lot more than that. It implies addicted to alts, the creation of them the leveling of them the getting of all those; collections, achievements, pets on all of them etc.

I have alts (7 toons at the moment) some just as crafters some ready for helping with the next tier of PA. Only one character is set up for all of the other stuff. Only this toon will be made raid ready for SL.

Most people with alts have a similar position to this. They are not alt-oholics.

I knew an alt-oholic in EQ2 that not only had over 70 toons over several accounts he intended to have one of every class/race combination with max level max AA and all the collections etc. That is an alt-oholic.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

It also seems from your post you do not play Rift either, so please do not ask for changes to a game you do not play.
    No that would be a player with alts. An alt-ohlic is a lot more than that. It implies addicted to alts, the creation of them the leveling of them the getting of all those; collections, achievements, pets on all of them etc.

I have alts (7 toons at the moment) some just as crafters some ready for helping with the next tier of PA. Only one character is set up for all of the other stuff. Only this toon will be made raid ready for SL.

Most people with alts have a similar position to this. They are not alt-oholics.

I knew an alt-oholic in EQ2 that not only had over 70 toons over several accounts he intended to have one of every class/race combination with max level max AA and all the collections etc. That is an alt-oholic.
    Your definition is completely incorrect and your initial post in this thread was uncalled for. Jsut because he's not as much of an altaholic as you are doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the title you evidently take so much pride in. What you're describing is a mixed case of extreme altaholism and completionism that most people do not have. As an altaholic myself, I can say I have absolutely no intention of doing all collections on all my characters. I choose one character to do it on and concentrate on them. I do enjoy doing all the leveling and questing on all my toons, but that's because I like questing, and it's hardly prerequisite to being an altaholic. If he has his character slots full and wants to make more characters, he's an altaholic, so shup and good day to you sir!

Besides, it isn't really your place to say whom can and whom cannot ask for changes in the suggestions forum.

I think the OP's main problem is that he doesn't enjoy all the prepwork that comes for needing to research and train and plug in points and figure out buttons. He just wants to play and the fastest way to do that is to start a level one character. Heck, with all the fun stuff to do while leveling, there's no reason not to! In such a case, I can see why this kind of feature would be tempting.

I doubt I'd personally use it, since I can only very rarely ever bare to say goodbye to a character (and never one over level twenty), but it would have its place in the game for some.
    Last edited by Twinflame; 11-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    - Daijeen, Faeblight

It really sounds like you're experiencing more of a general burn-out. Don't force it, play what you want in the meantime and return when you have the desire to take a look at your characters.
    I've got a lot of characters as well (I'm not an alt-oholic though, I just have them. I'm a very slow leveller so only two are level 50+, one being my first level 50. When I logged into her pre-storm legion to sort her bank, it felt like visiting a place frozen in time) and I have both specs and macro's to tweak.
    I'm not good at that, I usually rely on one of my friends finding a good spec and subsequently copying that and any macro's they might use.
    But, this time I couldn't really wait, so I just rolled with one of the pre-set specs and ditched my macros (for now) - I find that when levelling, I didn't really need them at all. Macro's only seemed to help me maximize my potential dps by removing my brainlag so to speak (That and reducing the number of buttons I'd have to focus on. I always found that part of Rift a bit overwhelming) - but that's irrelevant when you're just killing regular mobs.
    It's actually been a really good experience, the pre-set specs are playable, currently I'm using the tactician/bard combo on my rogue (Which I'd never actually need a macro for, in my opinion it's not that button-heavy)
    Perhaps you could do the same, once you feel like it - It might give you the last bit of "I want this" when you see what Storm Legion has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I actually sorta get that. It's in some ways hard to jump in and make a fresh 50 build for a Tempest. It takes a long time to level from 1, but it's not hard.

it takes less than an hour to put together and adequately play a new soul, you likely will not be perfect at it{depending on the difficulty} but you will at least be good enough to start running some dungeons and work out the bugs

making a new 50 on the other hand will take at least 2 days and just keeps you from learning how to play the class in a group environment until you actually get near-max level
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

Plane Walker

OP is spot on here.

If I knew how to configure the forums to avoid viewing posts from specific contributors I would not be posting now.

First reply totally ignored the point of OP and started a debate about the meaning of alt-oholic.

Back on topic, an alternative course of action:

To 'learn" to play the new abilities, build yout tallents a bit at a time, say to lvl 30, then mentor to 30 and go try them out. then to 40 and so on.

Of course, this would take some time but less than starting from scratch. It would therefore NOT appeal to "lvl 50 in 2 day" players.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    First reply totally ignored the point of OP and started a debate about the meaning of alt-oholic.

Thanks, Woftam and also Twinflame. I'm not really sure why some folks have such a strong objection. The suggestion is just another way to broaden the base and appeal to a certain type of player with, frankly, no play balance or other impact to any other player. It's not like I didn't earn the mounts, pets, artifacts, etc. It's just on a different character. The price of the bequest is that I can't play that the original character anymore.

I may do as several have suggested and ease into it some day. More likely, in 3-6 months, I'll just swallow the loss of all my goodies on my other toons and just start leveling some new toons. But, as I'm subscribed for another year and this would help me enjoy the game more, I do not feel any qualms about making the suggestion.

Think of it as a "bequest" option. Some players hate end game (me) and like leveling (also me). In the case of the xpac, there's the additional barrier of having to research and learn new souls. So, why not give players more of a reason to level and something to do with the toon once you've leveled?

For those who still don't get it, this is a way to make Rift more appealing to a certain class of players. Whether Trion thinks it is a class of players worth appealing to is for them to decide. It has no negative affect on other players, certainly nothing compared to muliboxing, for example, something Trion allows for business reasons (or at least used to).

Conceptually, this consists of allowing one character to bequest all his vanity items to another new character. Then the bequesting character is no longer playable.

Mechanically, it could be implemented as a complete toon respec: your toon is reset to level 1 and can pick a new name, race, class and gender. That would have a similar effect (albeit more generous than what I have suggested of moving vanity items because you keep bank slots, rep, etc.). For those who object, what's the harm in this? All a player gains by doing this is a chance to enjoying level again at the expense of losing all the previous leveling time. For marketing purposes, I think the bequest may actually appeal more to players than the complete wipe but under the hood it could be managed as a wipe even if it looks to the player like a bequest to a new toon. This would make it fairly simple to implement.

Of course, this could be part of a larger legacy system but that's a whole different discussion
    Last edited by Qbalrog; 11-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Rift Disciple

OP is spot on here.
    To that specific point, I was just trying to be humorous. I'm not an alt-oholic in the sense of liking to build and maintain a huge stable of characters. I'm actually a level-ohonolic: I enjoyed working my way up through zones and instances. After that, grinding dailies, instances and raids for more gear doesn't really have any appeal to me. I'd rather run another character up through the ranks.

Before anyone sees red, I don't begrudge those who do like the endgame. But it's not like the game doesn't change once you hit level cap. For those who liked the pre-cap play and not the post-cap play, a bequest option is a way to encourage those players.

I'm a seasoned MMO player and I am still playing MMOs now (just not Rift at the moment). It's not like there aren't alot of MMO players who don't like WOW-style endgame. Some day, someone will create a new end game model. In the meantime, for those who don't care for the current endgame but like Rift, why not make it easier for them to enjoy the game and the leveling experience?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Thanks

I think the thing people might be forgetting is that some players like leveing toons as much or more than playing a level capped toon. For such a player, the thought of starting over is more appealing. Clearly several folks have trouble seeing that but what they like isn't necessarily what other people like. It's no different than players who like pvp more than pve or big guild raids more than chronicles. One way isn't better than another way. This is a game, i.e., a form of entertainment. A game that entertains more players will be more financially successful. A game community that encourages more types of game play (within reason) will have more players and more people funding their game of choice.

Most people may not like leveling alts but if it gets or keeps more players in the game, it helps everyone.
    Last edited by Qbalrog; 11-23-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Ascendant

OP is spot on here.

If I knew how to configure the forums to avoid viewing posts from specific contributors I would not be posting now.

To 'learn" to play the new abilities, build yout tallents a bit at a time, say to lvl 30, then mentor to 30 and go try them out. then to 40 and so on.

Of course, this would take some time but less than starting from scratch. It would therefore NOT appeal to "lvl 50 in 2 day" players.
    You are a scrub. A bad one at that.

At OP: do what you want. Leveling a new toon will take 20x as long as learning new specs... macros are copy and paste and there are already guides on the forums.

Again: DO WHAT YOU WANT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast