+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What actually does hapen in test?

Plane Walker

Default What actually does hapen in test?

From the ammount of bugs found in Live I suspect that the Test shards are populated by players motivated by the chance at insider information rather than to find and report problems that could be fixed before going live.

0/10

Please learn to troll better
    Nope.

Telaran

To be fair, I don't know many people who would spend a night bug reporting for fun.

It also probably has a lot to do with turnout. From the way your post is worded I assume you haven't tested either.

People do go there to test content and try it out before everyone else because that's what people do. But they aren't running around trying weird things to make bugs appear. They are playing through it and report when they see something.

Whether they are taking the time to report or some are just playing for themselves can't be fixed. As has been said a few times now, you can't patch the players.

Have you been on the PTS? If so...how many tickets have you submitted with bugs reports/constructive feedback?
    ...∞...
    Nerva@Deepwood

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerva3x0 View Post
    Have you been on the PTS? If so...how many tickets have you submitted with bugs reports/constructive feedback?
    Always a helpful activity, and even weighing in on PTS Forum discussions can help.

Failing any of that, Trion still gets metrics and info from their servers as people play the Test, Beta, and Alpha -- discussion catalyzes their info and helps expose bugs.

If you don't think there's enough honest testing going on, take a hack at it yourself. Post what you find on the Forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

Default Flame?

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    0/10

Please learn to troll better
    2,736 posts by you.

And you accuse me of trolling lmao

Plane Walker

Default Fair comment

Quote Originally Posted by Trigged View Post
    To be fair, I don't know many people who would spend a night bug reporting for fun........

No, I haven't tested. But I'd be prepared to do so if it were requested of me.
    I'm not talking about obscure bugs that have to be sought out here.
    EG: The crafting patch resulted in some augments becoming unable to be runebroken.

The silly, but obvoius, bugs get through beta. That is what leads me to believe that the testers' motives may not be totally benevolent.

Rift Disciple

it has been said so many times before,
    alpha/beta environment =/= live environment.
    a lot of people were given the friends and family 24x7 access yesterday(me one of them yaaaaayyy!! ) but before that there were only around 500 or so constant testers(probably even less, not sure) and that many people simply cant replicate the same situations that occur on live and like you said, most people that played the beta weekends were just there to see the new shiny stuff.
    its a bit of a catch 22 but thank your selected deity that we have a team like trion supporting this game the way they do.
    insert pretentious historical quote here
    insert numbers with slashes in between here

I would say 90% if not greater of the testers actually test and provide feedback. They have Alpha testers, Closed Beta, open beta, their own QA, the devs and staff themselves working on things. I have tested and provided feedback every time they have called for testers on the pts and I have done my best in the closed Beta. The Alpha testers have spent far more time then most give them credit for testing and working with the devs, but in the end the beta or test shard isn't live and there is no way the small group of testers and devs can account for every variable or the creativity of the thousands and thousands of live players.

I am not saying you or anyone has to test but there's only so much those of us that do can. I know its frustrating when things dont go as planned or people find exploits but please dont assume its because the testers didn't report it, we could have and the devs could have thought they fixed it or players on live might have thought of or come up with a way to do something unintended we did not. Are there some testers with less then noble intentions? sure but trust me when I say they dont last long and wont be invited back for future tests.

The more you provide feedback and detailed parses and the like the more trust and responsibility the devs will give you. If you find a bug report it, if you feel its something major feel free to pm one of the dev team, they do listen. The key is to be constructive, even if its something they dont want to hear they really will listen and adjust as needed.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Woftam View Post
    EG: The crafting patch resulted in some augments becoming unable to be runebroken.

The silly, but obvoius, bugs get through beta. That is what leads me to believe that the testers' motives may not be totally benevolent.
    While I understand what you are saying, I guess I'm missing your point.

I agree that bugs make it through test
    I agree that not all players make as many reports as they could.

I don't understand how that could mean they have poor intentions. Are you insinuating that they ignore bugs in order to get an advantage? That is the only negative motive I can think of for a tester to have..

As someone else stated, try hopping into the pts or beta yourself. See what you can determine is a bug or not, because honestly until you have done so it would be hard to take your criticism seriously.

That's a pretty bad example. Just how many people do you think thought to do the following when a new patch update arrived on PTS:

"Oh look, new update with PAGES of new changes. I think I'm going to check if all augments can still be runebroken!"

If you want to test, go right ahead - PTS is almost always open, and is open to everyone.
    Also, the Open Beta for Storm Legion starts tomorrow.

Your post is rather negative, but I'm sure that since you'll now have access to the Open Beta for Storm Legion that you will find every single bug. Otherwise, clearly you're just there for personal gain right?

Of course there are people who go on PTS/Beta for personal gain, but there's also plenty who do test. We just can't test every, single, thing and reproduce everything that could happen on a Live server. Plus, some bugs we report get through anyway.
    Last edited by Jonus; 11-02-2012 at 12:45 AM.

You also have to remember that the number of people testing during the non open betas r minimal compared to Live. Those people wont be able, and wont have the capacity, to generate every possible bug. When a software is released, and used on different platforms, with thousands of people at the same time, there is a very high probability they will generate a whole new set of bugs that no 1 could generate during the testing phase. A normal behavior in any software development life cycle.
    Retired

Well, developers know that only a certain portion of beta testers are in it to really help iron stuff out, and turn a patch upside down and inside out. So the big invite is actually just to get a small pool of people who report stuff and feel some dedication to the given project.
    I've done it before for another game. It's tiring, and it's hard to tell how much of the info is ever used or looked at by people. Once was enough, honestly.

So what actually happens in beta is, some people genuinely help, and others just want to experience new content, in whatever state it actually exists at the moment.
    Last edited by Diarch; 11-02-2012 at 06:55 AM.

I played the original alpha over a year ago and spent many hours reporting bugs. I also beta/alpha tested other games and still do the same.

I guess since some people are self centered and show what they would do in alpha the assume that's what everyone else would do also.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

If it bothers you, then consider it to be always asked of you. There's at least the PTS, and if you get invited to Closed Betas, hop at the chance.

And in reference to an earlier post of yours, more posts doesn't mean more trolling. I got the bulk of mine in the Lore subforum just engaging in honest discussion. If you check someone's post history and THEN see a bunch of baiting or negativity, yeah, peg them for a troll and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast