+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Spitballing session

Default Spitballing session

I'm loving the game since I've returned. I've found a really nice guild, meeting a lot of friendly people, and just generally enjoying myself. But I do have one gripe, something that has stuck with me since I originally quit the game a month after release.

It doesn't feel like there are any real consequences for loosing a zone event. Often times while questing I will go out of my way to run around rifts instead of engaging with them while leveling up. When zone events occur I tend to just keep grinding away at the quests and ignore the zone events completely. Mostly I feel like this is due to the feeling that I know win or loose. Nothing monumental will happen after the event. The zone will revert back to the same way it was before the event.

Which brings me to my spitball question. "Is there anything the dev's could do at this point to push people to actually feel like there are consequences to letting zone events fail?"

The one idea I've had so far, is what if zone events that have failed spilled out into bordering zones? ie If a death zone event took over in gloamwood, appropriate level invasions would start to cross over the borders into Scarlet gorge, Iron pine peak, and silverwood. These invasion could perhaps trigger new zone events in the new areas.

This would actually give the sort of message that pops up after a event has failed "The last wardstone has fallen, the plane of death will devour Talaria" some real weight. As things stand right now, I see those messages and just chuckle to myself. I don't feel any real consequence for not pushing back a planar invasion.
    "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't." -Erica Jong

I aggree with you on this one. Not only should a failed Zone event fail the quest hubs should start going from normal level invasions and slowly increase to elite levels in the zone the longer the stay. for a Dynamic aspect of the game they invaded and took over it is our duty to come back and wipe them away.

Soulwalker

I support this idea too.

At current it feels like there are no consequences to not disabling a rift. Why are they there if nothing happens when they're not destroyed. What is the purpose of destroying them?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sticx;4004910
    Which brings me to my spitball question. [I
    "Is there anything the dev's could do at this point to push people to actually feel like there are consequences to letting zone events fail?"[/I]
    Not if they have good sense and want the game to continue. People have short memories or were not here in Rifts early days when it was a far more dangerous world, invasions were more common, zones could become over run and quest hubs taken over by elites, LOTS of Elites until you got a group and cleared them out or slowly wore them down. If you went AFK out in a zone there was a good chance you would come back to your corpse

and many players hated it. you are now much stronger against invasions and invasion forces get a debuff that means eventually even the NPC's will one shot them. heck you can even hand in your quests to the questgiver and go merrily on your way, completley ignoring the invasion he was fighting, all due to player feedback, people don't want consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamour View Post
    heck you can even hand in your quests to the questgiver and go merrily on your way, completley ignoring the invasion he was fighting, all due to player feedback, people don't want consequences.
    It sure took a lot away from the game, too. I think people forgot the name of the game is "Rift". Not "Quest", not "Instant Adventure", not "Raid". I'd hoped to see open world content further developed, not curtailed. Open world content is what I came to Rift for in the first place.

Someone in another thread suggest a "hard-mode" (as in, the difficulty level originally presented to the players) open world server. That would be a dream come true for me.
    Last edited by Shattered; 10-30-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

"Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared...Audiences don't want anything original, they wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousands times before."

-Philip J. Fry

Except nowadays the "same thing" refers to consequence free handouts. Hence no more naked corpse runs through dark-*** woods fearing for your life because that damn wolf might still be around...and everyone gets to be a Jedi.

Last edited by Juddo; 10-30-2012 at 02:54 AM.

As long as there is more than one player, PvP will be imbalanced.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sticx View Post
    It doesn't feel like there are any real consequences for loosing a zone event. Often times while questing I will go out of my way to run around rifts instead of engaging with them while leveling up. When zone events occur I tend to just keep grinding away at the quests and ignore the zone events completely. Mostly I feel like this is due to the feeling that I know win or loose. Nothing monumental will happen after the event. The zone will revert back to the same way it was before the event.
    Something tragic does happen. I get cranky because I don't receive my Inscribed Source Stones. That's not cool.

Punishing people for failing a zone event or ignoring rifts won't work. Doing them needs to be incentivized. There's already incentive for zone events -- the Inscribed Source Stones. Want to see more people destroying rifts regularly? The chance to drop ISS needs to be increased dramatically. Other than that, there's no real reward to doing them.

Thing to bear in mind is that a ton of players are at endgame with little to no incentive to do any rift clearing at low, but especially mid-level zones. Scarwood? Whaaa is that?

So on a certain level, heavy consequences could really inconvenience players who are leveling (if whom there are but few).

I am for some adjustment, but it needs to be really well thought out, bearing in mind who gets affected and who is likely to participate (and why).
    Last edited by Diarch; 10-30-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diarch View Post
    Thing to bear in mind is that a ton of players are at endgame with little to no incentive to do any rift clearing at low, but especially mid-level zones. Scarwood? Whaaa is that?

So on a certain level, heavy consequences could really inconvenience players who are leveling (if whom there are but few).

I am for some adjustment, but it needs to be really well thought out, bearing in mind who gets affected and who is likely to participate (and why).
    Mentor down and you can get your inscribed source stones during Events

Basically it comes down to the Negative vs Positive Reinforcement arguments. In MMOs, it appears that PR is about the only thing that motivates, very unlike our real lives. The catch is when we want MMO worlds to have have more real world-centric implications. And I've just never seen it work that way. Maybe cause having to do something to avoid the bad is such a PITA in real life, whereas doing something fun and getting PIE is much more fun.

Something like that. Or not.
    Last edited by Diarch; 10-30-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraelith View Post
    Mentor down and you can get your inscribed source stones during Events
    Good point. Also, it is a way to get event achieves. The complication is that some events occur far more than others, which I think is only in Trion's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Diarch View Post
    Good point. Also, it is a way to get event achieves. The complication is that some events occur far more than others, which I think is only in Trion's hands.
    Yeah so the incentive is there, people are just to lazy to do something about it. and want a safe place to stay.

Shadowlander

We have PVE shards, PVP shards, RP Shards.

Maybe they could implement a shard where the rifts and evets do take over? Right now it costs nothing to shard change, so if a shard type was implemented where the ignored rifts and failed zone events took over zones. The players who want that can go there. The players who dont, stay off. Similiar to the pvp/pve shard. If you like open world pvp go to a pvp shard, if you dont, stick with a pve shard.

Not sure what it would take to make this happen though, if it's even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Juddo View Post
    "Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared...Audiences don't want anything original, they wanna see the same thing they've seen a thousands times before."

-Philip J. Fry

Except nowadays the "same thing" refers to consequence free handouts. Hence no more naked corpse runs through dark-*** woods fearing for your life because that damn wolf might still be around...and everyone gets to be a Jedi.

Aww the good ol' days of EQ (-bind by a bank or know a kindly mage to summon some armor for the run. :_0. ) Would always happen.. Wife starts messing with me to get off the computer because we had someplace to go and BAM! because I looked away for a few moments I now have a 45 minute or so corpse run and the worry of not getting my stuff back if I left it for later. They were a PITA but still made your heart beat and your palms sweat- That is what it was all about, the Excitement!!

I agree very much so, we need to go back to the days of "Dynamic" content again. If you just ignore the event, it can come back to haunt you.
    I play games like this as a hobby, to relax, Not as a second job.

I would dig it.

Weaving in a mix of potent bonuses and penalties would be best, imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast