+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SUGGESTION - Dimension editor - specifying the default orientation of XYZ movemt tool

Default SUGGESTION - Dimension editor - specifying the default orientation of XYZ movemt tool

I'll post this in beta forums as well...

This past weekend I was messing around with the dimension editor and trying to construct several long straight rows of stone tiles to create a series of inclined ramps.

It took me quite a bit of fiddling around with the editing tools to be able to build anything. What I realized was that if I placed my original tile and then rotated it before doing anything else, it was extremely difficult to get precise alignments of clones of that tile. It's because the X and Y axis were now at odd angles in relation to the object.

The XYZ movement tool works great if you don't ever rotate your original item. For example, if I place a tile, and then without rotating it, I clone it and place another one, I can simply click the red arrow and the blue arrow to get precise movement along the red and blue axes. I would repeat this 5 or six times, creating a long straight row of tiles and then shift click all of these tiles into one big selection. Then and only then would I angle the item upward and rotate it into its desired position. Because once this row of tiles was now no longer aligned to the editor's native X/Y/Z axes, it is extremely difficult to add additional items and get it lined up just so. And in my case, I was trying to make these slanted ramps.

If my row of tiles wasn't perfectly alined along the X(red) or Y(blue) axis, then it was extremely difficult to raise the angle of my ramp and keeping it flat and level at the same time. This is because I would have to use two controls... the red arrow and then the blue arrow to adjust the angle. I found myself "zizagging" and walking the objects up... nudging the red arrow then the blue arrow by an approximately similar amount and just hoping that the structure remained relatively flat. But it was virtually impossible to be certain that the tile ramp remained 100% flat and aligned to the horizontal plane.

In order to make all of this easier, what I would like to be able to do is place my first tile or board, rotate it to the desired angle within my dimension, and THEN tell the editor to use the object's edges as it's X/Y plane. I could then copy the object and position the copies quickly and easily along the X and Y axis without having to zigzag and nudge them. From then on, all subsequent copies of that object could easily be aligned along the straight axis.

Then when I'm done with that set of objects and I am editing some other set of grouped objects in another plane, I would then reset the X/Y axes again to be aligned with this new set of objects. As is now, there is only one fixed X/Y/Z coordinate plane, and it makes for challenging placement of any object that is placed obliquely to the existing plane.

In summary, being able to set the editor's X,Y axis relative to a placed object, it would make for vastly improved accuracy and quicker object placement and a better all-around experience when editing one's dimension!

Use a board to help line up your items. I would like them to add this feature but until they do you can use objects to help make the straight lines you want with objects.

I show an example of this in my walkthrough video.

http://www.daphat.com/rift-storm-leg...to-dimensions/

The thing I had the most trouble with was changing the vertical angle of an item. Try it...

Place one regular board. Max out it's size to make it easier to see and work with.

Rotate this board to any angle along the horizontal plane (ie click the green circle tool).

Now, try to raise that board so that it points up in the air at a 45 degree angle yet remains aligned to the ground along the bottom edge.

This is very tricky to do at an off angle, but really simple to do when the board is placed and then raised before rotating. Once you rotate, you're hosed.
    Last edited by DaBigNob; 10-22-2012 at 01:15 PM.

One thing I did to help is use the the Dimension Toolbox that Arkz posted.

Though initial release the tool will help you get the objects location so you can move it around and copy/paste items in the same spot then you can adjust by inputing new coords from there. and you can move xyz by the ablosolute direction the way the built in tool moves by or have the option of movement relative to the object it's self.
    Last edited by Kraelith; 10-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread