+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few ways I think RIFT can be improved[lengthy and insane ramblings]

Shadowlander

Default A few ways I think RIFT can be improved[lengthy and insane ramblings]

Iím not a game designer, nor am I a game developer. Iím just a gamer, who wants to construct a list of thoughts on enhancing RIFTís overall experience. Some of the following points may be old news, some may be in the works, and still more may be utterly preposterous and worthy of being ignored by the annals of time. I shall try to organize them themeatically and logically, but where logic is not applied logic may fail.

Conquest:
    Make a map dedicated for the event, not a modified map of an existing region. Maps are extremely important to fostering the organic creation of the type of conflict you are wishing have players engage in.
    Unify the queues and evenly balance the raid forces. This is a slam dunk. Lore be darned.

Warfronts:
    Lets see some more unique rulesets. Huttball set a new bar for BG/WF design.
    More natural hazards, lets have some fun.
    Stop penalizing sub r50ís by putting them against r50ís Silliness ensues.
    combine all the shards if you are having queue issues.

Quests:
    If it isnít a quest with a unique aspect to it, donít waste your time developing it. Quests should be memorable unique events befitting your players characters status in the world. ďHi welcome back from the future, could you plant some potatoesĒ just doesnít cut it. Stop insulting me and the value of my time.
    Find more unique ways to tell stories. If you want to tell a story donít put it in a quest window. Most players treat the quest window dialogue box like an EULA, we mash that ACCEPT button nearly as fast as it renders. You know why? Because most of them are asking me to deliver potatoes.

Gearing Up:
    Looting off big *** monsters is fun, buying off vendors is mundane uninspired and a cop out of the challenging issue of loot rng.

Raids/Dungeons
    Cheese ruins content and the sensation of scope. I was super depressed to see how raids kill things like Plutonus these days.

Planar Attunement:
    Whatís the deal with these ridiculously complex looking Hex things? My newb friend saw that screen and just about blew a gasket. Just put it in a list like EQ1 did 10 years ago. Itís fine really. I donít care how delicious your Skittles PA buttons look.
    Make them more interesting and unique. Again look to EQ1ís AA system.

Race/Gender/Faction Changes
    Shut up and take my money!

Enaging Combat
    Combat is made interesting and engaging by watching and reacting to the fight, not buff icons, debuff icons, castinb bars or the like. If someone is doing something I want to be able to react on visually communicated queues by their character. If your engineís efficency is the issue and you are forced to develop to the lowest hardware configurations, then you need to fix it. Donít just work around it.

Encourage the community
    Iím a rogue, Iím blessed with one of the most vibrant communities in RIFT. I can pull up my classís guides page and find a dozen great guides that help me and other players improve our gameplay. Other classes arenít even on the same planet when it comes to this. Mageís guide section seems terrible in comparison. Why not offer up in game bounties for great guides. Toss steller guide authors an in game title or something. FACILITATE the creativity of the community.

Player Housing
    I swear to god if my companion pets cant hang out in my player house Iím going to cry

Shadowlander

Moved? to where?

Conquest:
    Because Trion isn't overworking EVERYONE with Storm Legion as it is, Stillmoor is working fine. The idea behind conquest currently is you are fighting over an alternate reality Telara. "lore be darned"? Yeah insulting the hard work of so many Trion employees is a great way to get them to listen to you...

Warfronts:
    Many people like the Warfronts that just turn into giant cluster****s of PvP chaos. Unique Warfronts are interesting but PvPers like to kill people not run around picking stuff up. Also does que time mean anything to you? Separating ques to R1-R49 and R50 would make it much more difficult to get into a warfront, try queing for something that isn't the daily/weekend bonus as it is, Trion already gives you a buff if your rank is low enough and when you get to the point where the buff goes away then yeah in a 1v1 against a R50 you'll have trouble, on the other hand you generally aren't in a 1v1 situation and should be fine.

Quests:
    I've played Rift since Beta-5 and I've found ONE quest that involves potatoes. One. You can calm down about potato quests, the one currently in Rift is hard to find anyways. So you're complaining that you don't know the story because you didn't read the Quest Window? That's like failing an exam because you didn't study and complaining to your professor about it Trion can't force you to read the story they write but if you're interested in the story well... read it.

Gearing Up:
    Rift gear is part loot and part kill a bunch of bosses, get some special currency and reward yourself for dedication. Making everything pure loot would be a problem, imagine how horrible it would be as a raider to constantly run ID and NEVER get any BiS gear, your buddy runs through it with a different group for the first time in his life and gets half a set of BiS gear. The current system causes you to be rewarded for dedication while still requiring you to get at least a little lucky to make that step from great gear to BiS gear.

Raids/Dungeons
    Really have no idea what you are talking about, I assume when you say cheese you mean something other than the dairy product but I've never really heard anything related to raiding called cheese. Please elaborate so I can tell you why you're wrong

Planar Attunement:
    I like the hex thing, your buddy's opinion is interesting yet irrelevant, if he were to actually play Rift and get his hands on PA he'd find the system is quite intuitive, you buy a rank in a hex and the ones around it open up. You can then spend points upgrading that hex to a certain level or buy surrounding ones, very similar to EQ's system but looks like it was made by some who had more artistic sense than a stereotypical engineer.

Race/Gender/Faction Changes
    Personally I could care less, but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as Trion does a good job with it, not overpricing it or anything like that.

Enaging Combat
    This kinda sounds like "I want to play an MMORPG but I don't like basic concepts of MMORPGs!". While it isn't multilayer Dragon's Dogma has what I think you want, play Rift once and a while and play Dragon's Dogma once and a while, no one game will ever have everything you want to play several to satisfy your itch for whatever it is you want at that moment (Just not several at once, cause then you'll just die in multiple games XD)

Encourage the community
    Last I checked if your guide is good then you get a title, this could have changed but I don't know why it would.

Player Housing
    Trion isn't adding stuff like this to Dimensions quite yet, they plan on keeping an eye on the community and seeing what they want, you aren't alone in this request so I expect you'll eventually have it. Just not in 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibi View Post
    It's oft said, and I do paraphrase, that Trion could mail people $100 each and some would complain on the forums that it should have been more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyn View Post
    Hey folks,
    Just dropping in a reminder to ensure your posts are on topic, civil and constructive.
    Thanks!

Combat: Something I've been wanting Trion to do is is fix up/ replace some of their animations. Take high elf for example, I refuse to use a staff with them because their ******ed back lean casting is just so unimaginative and boring. They need to add turning animations, and do a serious redo of most animations. In a hotbar based MMO, good animations are a key aspect to appealing combat. (please dont hate me for this) While dated, I've felt WoW has always done well on this front, not that they dont have some weird animations themselves its just that their fights have always been visually appealing to me at least.
    Last edited by PsychoticHamster; 10-24-2012 at 12:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread