+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JinseiNGC224

Thread: Possible themes of future updates after Storm Legion's peak

Default Possible themes of future updates after Storm Legion's peak

Before content even comes out I like to speculate as to what could happen in the near or far future after it. I've noticed that some planes have received more attention than others, and here's my theory on that, which is more or less a suggestion.

No patch has been released that is actually themed toward the plane of life. While Greenscale was a big deal, he was there in the beginning. First came river of souls with patches, then the next major one was Akylios, and then a few patches related to the Wanton Maw and the alliance between earth and fire. At this point, shortly before Storm Legion's announcement, there was no air anything in the game, so people probably figured it was the next contender... in steps the Storm Legion! On top of that, Regulos and the plane of death play a critical part in Storm Legion, which leaves the cycle of planar content into a full circle back to life.

My theory is that the plane of life will either be the theme of some serious story arc's in coming patches, or in another year or two it will have an expansion of it's own. Either way, I think life will play a more important role sooner than later.

Another theory of mine is that something different entirely will happen. Since by the end of Storm Legion there might very well not be any dragons left at all and Regulo's and Crucia could either be dead or disabled (won't jump to conclusions :P ), then a new enemy might emerge, different from the planes, perhaps from a world ravaged by planes by which became triumphent but went down a dark path itself, harnessing planar power and ravaging worlds themselves. Or perhaps secrets of Telara will be unraveled and yet more new lands will be unlocked, from underground, under the sea, a frozen north, a floating continent, or heck, maybe we'll just end up on the moon.

The planes still feel very fresh to Rift for me, as long as they don't recycle the idea and always introduce new characters, models, story arc's, and so on. But an enemy that poses a threat to Telara, and perhaps even all the planes themselves, is easily a possibility.

With the dragons dead, the planes would fall into chaos until a new chain of command can be established. In the meantime, who knows who or what might take advantage of the planes while they lick their wound's.

Or maybe a new plane entirely will emerge, different than any other....hmmm

My suggestion though, and in the simplest of things, is to give life more attention in a future update. I highly doubt the dragons being dead means the end of the planes.

Chapter 1: Planes of Telara
    1.0 = Death, Life (and Earth, Air, Water, Fire)
    1.1 = Death (big)
    1.2 = Earth (small)
    Focus is on Death and Life, but mostly Life and River of Souls. Greenscale and Hylas has a real place, but it's not super major compared to the Death story. Earth content is just foreshadowing. And of course, all of 1.0 world has all 6 planes with stories, but some are barely touched upon compared to Aelfwar and Endless Court (like Storm Legion and Golden Maw).

Chapter 2: Hammerknell
    1.3 = Water, Death (big)
    1.4 = Life, Water (small)
    This period deals with Water for good until some Ember Isle content, after which Water is mostly dropped until Storm Legion. However, its a good lot of Water stuff! Death maintains its presence as it will drop in significance over time (save for Chronicles). Death is also a lot of the Hammerknell raid content, showing again how it can corrupt even other elements quite handily.
    The Life/Water event just ends Akylios and Greenscale for 'good', after their death on mainland Telara. Maelforge and Laethys needed an event like this on Ember Isle, but whatever.

Chapter 3: Ember Isle
    1.5 = Fire, Earth (big)
    1.6 = Fire, Earth (and Life, Water)
    1.7 = Neutral
    1.8 = Fire, Earth (big)
    1.9 = Life (small)
    ALL about Fire and Earth here! (Earth a little less) And that's it really. Life and Water make a return to say 'hey, dragons may be dead, but planar power persists!', but otherwise the content is very focused on dealing with Fire and Earth. Summerfest doesn't really have a story.

Chapter 4: Tempest Rising
    1.10 = Life, Death, Air (small)
    1.11 = Air (big)
    Death and Life return in a way, just to remind us they still exist. Otherwise there is a slow burn towards what will be the climax of Crucia escaping! And also the hints that she planned pre1.0-1.11 the whole time

Chapter 5: Storm Legion
    2.0? = Air, Death (and Life, Water, Death, Earth)
    2.1? = Death? Air?
    Air and Death will be well presented here.

So basically in rankings:
    1. Death, which almost always has a focus in story
    2. Air, which was previously in last place, but now has a bloody expansion after it!
    3. Fire, which had a good several months of content involve it, and it was always higher in importance than Earth
    4. Water, which also had a good few months dedicated to it (even if it was mixed strongly in with Death)
    5. Life, which had a good 1/3 of story emphasis of the original Rift (which matters more than patch content usually), and will have at least a few zones of 2.0 Rift...
    6. Which did have a dragon and parts of a raid and Ember Isle... but not THAT much. In the end, it has the same amount of content as Life, except without the zones and epic quests wholly dedicated to it.

So I'd say Earth is missing out more than Life, but yeah, both need a come back in some form.
    I also think Water will be up for a return in a 2.X patch as well.

I think if a 3.0 goes into the planes, we'd also start with the planes of Earth and Life.

Oh, and I think we'll be done with Air for a while after Crucia dies. The expansion itself may be about Crucia and Air, but I think that story emphasis will end rather quickly after the Crucia raid and its after effects (Air Saga?).

2.1 will probably bring the entire focus right back on Death and the Endless Eclipse raid, and after that we may see the rest of the planes return in focus, including Life (in fact, especially Life!).

The big change with 2.0 is that we'll be mostly done with the mortal human (or humanoid) cults.

Storm Legion - Of course controls so much of 2.0 haha, so yes, we deal with one of the largest cults

Endless Court - I think only the elite of the elite of the cult were even allowed to cross into Dusken. Even Alsbeth was sent as a sort of 'lackey' to do the Stillmoor offensive towards Sanctum and Meridian. We killed most of them on Mathosia, but the actual Death POWER exists on Dusken.

Wanton - Are 90% planar based anyway. They poke through the rifts whenever they can, and then organize armies. Most Telarans are seen as too weak and squishy by them, except for some pyromancers and maybe people turned into fire demons. The cult isn't dead but its likely closer to remission for now, after killing many of their leaders in Infernal Dawn etc.

Abyssal - Wrecked. They're scattered in cabals that probably still exist (hello Bronze Tomb?), but Freemarch was torn apart by the Ascended, Moonshade was totally stopped in the Hammerknell chapter, and Iron Pine Peak was also torn apart in the quests and Abyssal Precipice. They likely have some cultists and it may be revisted, but as far as I know, their role in Brevane and Dusken are limited (but we don't know about the Plane of Water yet!).

Aelfwar - Ha. Gone. It's pretty clear we either killed most of those high elves, or the returned to the Vigil. No big resurgence here since the high elves were of low population anyway. There may be elven content somewhere in the new continents, but Hylas' story is done.
    It's more likely that yet another Life cult gets started up. They always have upheavals, it seems.

Golden Maw - Mostly gone. Their leadership was stopped in Shimmersand, and everything else was destroyed in Ember Isle/Infernal Dawn.
    If Earth returns again, it would involve maybe a reforming of a FULL Laethys, and the cult will be more planar based.

I suppose since most of the human cults are gone, a more planar based approach makes sense; if your lackey's can't destroy Telara, send in the big guns!

Perhaps we'll get complete and free access to the other planes eventually. Actually, that's most likely inevitable...

Quote Originally Posted by JinseiNGC224 View Post
    I suppose since most of the human cults are gone, a more planar based approach makes sense; if your lackey's can't destroy Telara, send in the big guns!

Perhaps we'll get complete and free access to the other planes eventually. Actually, that's most likely inevitable...
    Yep. Overall, 1.0 is the lackeys, 2.0 is the generals, and 3.0 is the leadership, perhaps.

Seeing they seem to really step it up a notch with each update, I can see 3.0 being more than just two whole new continents.

Hmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by JinseiNGC224 View Post
    Seeing they seem to really step it up a notch with each update, I can see 3.0 being more than just two whole new continents.

Hmmm......
    I could easily see it include at least a strong basis for open world content in all 6 planes. Maybe 1-3 super-mega-large zones for each Plane? (larger than Morban/Seratos/etc)

But I could also see it not arriving until at least 1.5 years from now haha.

...who says it's actually *dragons* we're fighting...?

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    ...who says it's actually *dragons* we're fighting...?

Right you are! They could be only the image of something else...an avatar of such, of which is only a glimpse of their true power. But at the same time, even the dragon's might not be as big wig as we may perceive them to be.

Ultimately, we may see full access to all the planes in a future update and have each one the size of an entire world.

One thing I've attempted to contemplate though is the idea of a new type of plane introduced all together...

What would this be? Is there a creative element of nature that I'm forgetting? An astral plane? An ethereal plane? A plane of time? A plane of light or shadow (as opposed to life and death)?

Attack of the three headed tartagons!

Failing that, whatever it is must include a flying cupcake mount.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Attack of the three headed tartagons!

Failing that, whatever it is must include a flying cupcake mount.
    Why not?

A little variety is always nice.
    Last edited by JinseiNGC224; 10-22-2012 at 08:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread