+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Spell Effects

Shadowlander

Default Spell Effects

Hello Trion,

If you could PLEASE improve the spell effects in the game when SL comes out that would be much appreciated, as they are now, most are in need of a visual overhaul. I was excited to see that we would get new spells/abilities but come this new patch 1.11 I havent seen any new spell effects on my mage. As a matter of fact they are worse. The exception being lightning abilities. A few abilities below have zero effects or are just plain cut/copy/paste.

The MIGHTY Stormbolt! It has ONE measly little lightning effect, yet it does water and air damage.

Volcanic Eruption! withering flame 1.5? Where is the lava?!

Icy Carapace.... what did I just cast? I didnt see anything!

Flame Volley, wow.. just wow, it looks like withering flame but instead you put gaps between the channeling!

Elemental Burst, now this ability sounds cool right? But sadly, there is NO effect, my hand glowed when I casted it!

The abilities named are only a FEW of the ones that are in-game and have poor animations/effects/graphics, you name it.

You have improved many things over the life of the game. Water, textures, armor ect, but these spell graphics are just plain sad. Another distressing issue is when the spell lands on the enemy, most dont even look like the spell has impacted the mob, its like throwing pebbles at a building.

I just would like a simple razzle/dazzle to the spell graphics, and melee animations is all. But naturally leave the option to lower the effects for those with crappy PC's.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sygon; 10-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygon View Post
    Hello Trion,

If you could PLEASE improve the spell effects in the game when SL comes out that would be much appreciated, as they are now, most are in need of a visual overhaul. I was excited to see that we would get new spells/abilities but come this new patch 1.11 I havent seen any new spell effects on my mage. As a matter of fact they are worse. The exception being lightning abilities. A few abilities below have zero effects or are just plain cut/copy/paste.

The MIGHTY Stormbolt! It has ONE measly little lightning effect, yet it does water and air damage.

Volcanic Eruption! withering flame 1.5? Where is the lava?!

Icy Carapace.... what did I just cast? I didnt see anything!

Flame Volley, wow.. just wow, it looks like withering flame but instead you put gaps between the channeling!

Elemental Burst, now this ability sounds cool right? But sadly, there is NO effect, my hand glowed when I casted it!

The abilities named are only a FEW of the ones that are in-game and have poor animations/effects/graphics, you name it.

You have improved many things over the life of the game. Water, textures, armor ect, but these spell graphics are just plain sad. Another distressing issue is when the spell lands on the enemy, most dont even look like the spell has impacted the mob, its like throwing pebbles at a building.

I just would like a simple razzle/dazzle to the spell graphics, and melee animations is all. But naturally leave the option to lower the effects for those with crappy PC's.

Thanks!

I agree with this 100%, while you're at it, add some decent animation to melee Combat Animations.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelfear View Post
    I agree with this 100%, while you're at it, add some decent animation to melee Combat Animations.

You should see the rogues! I play mostly my mage but logged in to my rogue to spec out MM/Rang. I always thought both classes had bad spell effects but rogues were suffering a bit more. To my dismay they are WORSE in 1.11. The spell effects for fanout, concussive, splinter, and shadow fire have all been removed...yes removed! There are no spell effects for any of the rogue ranged abilities. Not to mention all abilities have the exact same generic sound too.

It feels as if I am not even using any abilities at all.

Very disappointing. I'm holding onto hope that they have just been removed in order for the new ones to be added.

Its sad when soul recall, and simply changing souls has more impressive spell effects then abiities all together.

I fully support this idea. I like more shiny spell and animation effects.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Hear hear! Seriously, these are the PRIMARY things we do in our daily gameplay. I hate to compare it to WoW, but that game despite its age, has killer flow and animations when it comes to combat, it feels addictive and it attracts the crowd. We dont need super flash, just animations that supports the feel that you're actively engaging something, after all this is not a spreadsheet game. Also, physics example, when the MM uses his retreat ability you see him flying backwards in a straight line, and then all of a sudden fall straight down. Compare that to WoW again you see him fall back and down in a curve.

This has baffled me for so long, why why have they not improved this? Seriously, we should need more pressure on this.
    Bloodiron - Ayronamic

Shadowlander

I think its because they have performance problems with engine.
    Even if i had disable other player spell effects, it was slowing down the game noticeably.
    On the other way i think they could make it better looking.
    Pegatron IPMMB-FM (intel Z75) + Intel i7 2600@3.9Ghz / 2 x 4 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR 1600Mhz / Cooler Master Force 500
    120 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4 GB / SilentiumPC Vero L1 500W / Windows 10 Pro x64 (thx Irabank!)

The lackluster spell effects and awkward, sometimes jarring, animations really have a terrible impact on the visual aspect of this game. I really hope Trion can remedy this.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Fully support this. Me want to see flashy things :P
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Shield of Telara

This is actually a pretty important issue.

When I was playing WoW, I felt I was there - flashy spell effects, mighty glow enchants on weapons, and (most importantly) instant skill responses.
    When I was playing Rift (it's in past tense sadly although I still have nearly one month game time left), I always felt I was looking at my character as the third person, not the first person. And no, it's not just about the camera positions.

Such things place huge impacts on sense of engagement and immersion, which is extremely important in RPGs, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyda View Post
    You should see the rogues! I play mostly my mage but logged in to my rogue to spec out MM/Rang. I always thought both classes had bad spell effects but rogues were suffering a bit more. To my dismay they are WORSE in 1.11. The spell effects for fanout, concussive, splinter, and shadow fire have all been removed...yes removed! There are no spell effects for any of the rogue ranged abilities. Not to mention all abilities have the exact same generic sound too.

It feels as if I am not even using any abilities at all.

Very disappointing. I'm holding onto hope that they have just been removed in order for the new ones to be added.

Its sad when soul recall, and simply changing souls has more impressive spell effects then abiities all together.

This is disappointing to say the least.

Bland character animations and subdued spell effects are not how I want my character to look and feel. My character, imo, should look and feel heroic, and even epic at some point. I do not feel this way currently.

The game world, game play, etc is wonderful in Rift, but as I've said in other posts, characters and spells/animations/customization needs a HUGE amount of work.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

Just to add, This topic has been brought up in MANY posts since the game's release and is a well known issue. Some people are fine with the game's "style", but many others are not.

I wonder if we could get an official word or two from Trion as to whether or not this is even on their list of things to do.

Will things like...

Character Customization.
    Combat Animations.
    Spell Effects.

Ever get improved?

/whistles... Where did that official response go? ;)

If they haven't improved upon these things yet then I'd bet it's not something on their to-do list.

Gotta say I agree tho. First time using flame volley I was disappointed .

Shadowlander

I feel this is a somewhat important issue, especially in the fact that most games when comming out with an expansion add more graphic "flavor" reusing old animations/effects takes away from the immersion factor I believe.

I think the least Trion could do in terms of animations and effects, is to give the new abilities some love in that department.

Agreed.
    I love the effect of Elementalist's Elemental Forces, that boom is very nice. but It could improve more.
    Rift 2.6's - Things I miss a lot in Rift: 1. No lock raids or boss, only lock drops and tokens. 2. I want a button to visit to other servers more easily. 3. Too low FPS yet. Fix Rift Client please. 4. Fair PVP, too much unbalance and crap healing war.
    - Thinks i like most right now: 1. Hailol Footholds 2. Flexible builds 3. Mage tanking comming .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast