+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Trajian
  • 1 Post By Methamophed

Thread: Shards: PVE - PVP - RP - "Survival"

Default Shards: PVE - PVP - RP - "Survival"

This started as a joke at first and later realizing how amazing this would be I decided to put it up here. Again as in other posts I have made, im sure I am probably one of few that will even enjoy this type of thing even though this seems to be oriented in the direction you original went with rifts and invasions. With free transfers this idea works even better though.

As you know, servers are labeled as pvp, pve, rp, ect. i was thinking you could add another option called whatever you like, however in this post I will refer to it as survival or 'surv'.

This server would be more pve oriented so instead of world pvp.. it would focus on world pve. Let me explain. Basically the main difference with this type of server compared to your other servers is that during these invasions and such in certain areas, when I first started the game, they would run a chill down my spine after hearing the horns. Seeing waves of enemies marching down roads towards certain points created the three A's: Anxiety - Alertness - Adrenaline. At certain points it became a hectic means of survival knowing all the sudden no where is safe..... unless you go to the main city like meridian. This created a problem. Having a safe zone like this creates a "I don't really care because it wont be there forever" mentality and the invasions aren't as epic or meaningful anymore. After the eye candy of the vast armies wore off, the meaning behind them no longer stands as strong.

What I am getting at is with this different type of shard "survival", these invasions are crucial to take down, especially in places like freemarch or silverwood. The city could get overran and if it does, will eliminate the NPCs like AH, bankers, trainers, ect. This creates a very important reason to why you would want to participate in these and when those horns sound, that chill will come back. You could even allow them to take over a city and create a boss in the city you would have to defeat. With the Guardian and Defiant somewhat working together now (kudos i love it), you could make these "epic events" shard wide so both factions see them on the map. I dont know if scaling levels and such would be required for this to be pulled off or what.

There are a lot of possibilities with this but I just wanted to throw out the idea in general. Allowing these invasions to fully take over a map including cities creates an importance to these that are not as much there these days. Don't make rifts something to grind. Make them something to experience. Don't make invasions something you just dodge and go on your marry way. Make them something you have to fight to win your freedom again

Again, just my 2c.

My furball skunk, Twitch.

Soulwalker

I totaly agree with you! instead of chillin in the main city , you have no choice to defend your city from invaders and **** when it happen!! I like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Methamophed View Post
    I totaly agree with you! instead of chillin in the main city , you have no choice to defend your city from invaders and **** when it happen!! I like it!!
    Thank you sir!

* out picking flowers*

*horns blow*

**** just got real!

Yes I support the Idea of adding a feeling of urgency to the game.

Haha out picking flower. Classic.

Default Partially agree with OP on the concept

Well ideas and suggestions should be easily implemented if possible as to not cost too much development and resource time ie. creating new shards, programing and testing, ect...

Now I totally agree with want you really want if I read your concerns right just disagree about the solution. The bottom line for most players is that the current events are not a challenge and also the rewards are not stimulating enough to warrant participation. For example a Rift Event starts I go over there and whoop the entire event by myself and thus earn some plannar along with some greens ect... This is not enough for the player base to define this as an epic event and warrant participation.

Now here is another example which i believe you and others would get excited about. A Rift Event spawns which is VERY challenging and produces GREAT rewards. This would get most people excited about participating in said event and by very challenging I mean scaling to the amount of people in the event along with by great rewards providing some meaningful to the player.

I will conclude with this story...my guild and popped some expert lures to see what all the fuss was about, not too challenging of course (boss had a ton of HP but not one person died or felt threatened during the event). The rewards for all the time invested gave us a ROFLMAO as it was a crazy waste of our guilds event time. Maybe not all RIFT EVENTS or LURE EVENTS are like this but I have yet to see one that causes half the server to rally or for that matter even satisfy a guild event. If I or the OP is missing some of these events by chance then please do tell but I think we are looking for "all hell to break loose" during the fight then get something meaningful for your efforts upon completion.

Now Trion does this already for the dungeons by creating the tiers and the epic raid events as well are already good, just spend some time on the RIFT EVENTS and LURE EVENTS then we will be good there as well.

Default Scaling

To add on to your suggestion, I believe a solution to achieve your "epic" challenging adventure and to be able to keep it reasonable is to add scaling. I'm not sure the best way to pull this off given people are coming and going constantly, but I thought it would be interesting if say Meridian was on the verge of being taken over, and the more people that keep showing up to down it, it keeps getting harder and harder via scaling, which enables not only health pool to rise, but certain amounts of people present can cause major abilities and other mechanics that would not be available if only 10 people were attending this compared to 50.

So by scaling, you would then be able to incorporate your challenging moments and allowing 5 people to take back their city, and even 50 people without it being too easy, and just the right amount of challenge involved. Because of this, the event can happen on a less populated server and still be able to be dealt with the right focus and determination, along with heavy popular servers where 50 people are going up against the event and its increased accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread