+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Account-wide stuff

Telaran

Default Account-wide stuff

With reading the PA levels becoming account-wide, I was wondering if there's anything known on mounts/companions becoming account-wide. I really like to have all of them to put up whenever I want, but the fact that my new characters don't have any kinda makes it harder for me to enjoy playing them (yes, I'm weird like that :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Freezzo View Post
    With reading the PA levels becoming account-wide, I was wondering if there's anything known on mounts/companions becoming account-wide. I really like to have all of them to put up whenever I want, but the fact that my new characters don't have any kinda makes it harder for me to enjoy playing them (yes, I'm weird like that :P)
    Nope. I wouldnt mind artifact sets though.

Inb4 instant level 50s and account bound raid marks.
    Bisqquit | R53

Rift Disciple

I would love to see the following account wide along with PAs:
    1: noteriety : hate grinding factions multiple times.
    2: conquest score: because conquest flat out sucks.
    3: achievements: shared progress also. Example the loot 100 plat from player corpses. Or rare mob hunter ones.

Another change I would like too see is you get both the dps and armor set piece when buy the gear.
    Last edited by Smackdaddy; 10-01-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Smackdaddy View Post
    I would love to see the following account wide along with PAs:
    1: noteriety : hate grinding factions multiple times.
    2: conquest score: because conquest flat out sucks.
    3: achievements: shared progress also. Example the loot 100 plat from player corpses. Or rare mob hunter ones.

Another change I would like too see is you get both the dps and armor set piece when buy the gear.
    I was actually talking about mounts and companions and it's already been stated reputation (don't know where) won't be account bound. Also your arguments at conquest is kinda off...

what an awesome way to suck the life out of the game. i wish account wide pa had NEVER been introduced, the whining of the 'i want it now' crowd will never stop.

nothing that can be sold or bought for coin should be account wide, IN MY OPINION. as it is now there is nothing to spend coin on.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Ascendant

Rather than Bind on Account, all pets and mounts should be Bind on Equip, giving more options for people to spend their money. I'm of the opinion that the only things that should be BoA are Collector's Edition and Pre-Order rewards, and items of similar nature. Just because you don't want to do something multiple times is not a good reason to make something BoA. Instead, the activity that you have to do should be made more fun so that you *want* to do it multiple times.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    what an awesome way to suck the life out of the game. i wish account wide pa had NEVER been introduced, the whining of the 'i want it now' crowd will never stop.

nothing that can be sold or bought for coin should be account wide, IN MY OPINION. as it is now there is nothing to spend coin on.
    As I've said many times, why does when I select my character matter? Much more hardcore games (like FFXI) essentially have account-bound PA and rep. The difference is that in in XI you choose your job after logging in (you log in, then go to housing or an inn to select your desired job), and in Rift you pick it first ("I want to play warrior today", so you click one and log in).

Claiming account-bound is welfare, "I want it now", or easymode is simply illogical. We've seen much more hardcore games that allow it, and that did nothing to diminish their status. Grinds are not challenges, and if your game relies on *arbitrary* restrictions not to challenge you but to merely slow you down, there's a more serious issue here.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post3947840

Quote Originally Posted by ShinChuck View Post
    As I've said many times, why does when I select my character matter? Much more hardcore games (like FFXI) essentially have account-bound PA and rep. The difference is that in in XI you choose your job after logging in (you log in, then go to housing or an inn to select your desired job), and in Rift you pick it first ("I want to play warrior today", so you click one and log in).

Claiming account-bound is welfare, "I want it now", or easymode is simply illogical. We've seen much more hardcore games that allow it, and that did nothing to diminish their status. Grinds are not challenges, and if your game relies on *arbitrary* restrictions not to challenge you but to merely slow you down, there's a more serious issue here.

Welfare, and I want it now, is exactly what it is.
    I think it's lame enough that account wide PA was made available, but, at least that is a benefit to your character. It still doesn't mean you can play more than one toon at once though, does it.

Introducing fluff and things such as collectables, account wide, just because you've spent the 5 minutes to collect it on one character, is nothing short of lazy IN MY OPINION.

Why not start begging for all classes on one toon? Or having all toons starting at 50? Or pathetically all achievements be account bound.

The list will never end.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ShinChuck View Post

You keep using that argument, but you've not explained how progression you gained on your Tarutaru helped your Hume.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Welfare, and I want it now, is exactly what it is.
    I think it's lame enough that account wide PA was made available, but, at least that is a benefit to your character. It still doesn't mean you can play more than one toon at once though, does it.

Introducing fluff and things such as collectables, account wide, just because you've spent the 5 minutes to collect it on one character, is nothing short of lazy IN MY OPINION.

Why not start begging for all classes on one toon? Or having all toons starting at 50? Or pathetically all achievements be account bound.

The list will never end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    You keep using that argument, but you've not explained how progression you gained on your Tarutaru helped your Hume.
    This is a response to both the above.

Let's start at the beginning.

A full FFXI account offers a single character. That is to say, Square Enix believes you can experience the game in full on one character due to multiclassing. You have the freedom to play all jobs on one character, and you choose what job you wish to play at a given time by logging in first, then selecting the job. This character then has no limits to distributing soulbound items, reputation, or PA/merit points.

In other words, if my main, as Dragoon, picks up some Dark Knight items, reputation, and merit points, my main can then switch to Dark Knight, use those DK items, and utilize the rep and merit points gained as Dragoon. This further includes things like mounts, zone passes, and so on.

Yet, FFXI is notorious for being hardcore in the MMO crowd, and certainly few will argue that.

Rift's basic account offers six character slots, presumably to give you the freedom to play the other jobs. You decide which job to play, then you log in to the world.

Suddenly, I'm not allowed access to my PA, many of my items, my mounts, or my rep.

You argue that we need these limits to keep the "challenge" up (challenge in quotes intentionally; see the link in my above post dissecting the idea of difficulty in MMOs), and yet, FFXI DID NOT have these limits, and remained "hardcore".

You claim they're different games, but the irony is that you're stuck in the idea that something called a "character" automatically equals another game's concept of a "character", using the terms literally without acknowledging context. Characters in Rift are essentially fluff, mere different texture skins on a model; from a gameplay perspective, there's no serious difference between a dwarf and a bahmi.
    Now, you might say, "But there are racials!" And that's true. However, an FFXI rogue might run faster than an FFXI Dragoon - yet, that rogue still has all the bonuses the Dragoon has (PA, rep, items, mounts, etcetera).

Logically, Rift's "characters" equate to XI's jobs. You play a character based on what class you feel like playing that day, and the only difference is in one game it's picked before you log in, and the other after. As another poster mentioned here:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post3948151

"You only make this comparison because we're forced to use different characters here. There's nothing my Red Mage gets that my Scholar doesn't, aside from equippable gear and spells."

The practical effect is that Rift "characters" are more akin to FFXI's concept of "jobs"; I.E., Rift's character essentially take the role of FFXI jobs. Your character is your job; you pick your job as you log in.

Neither of you have yet to really define why when I log in matters, nor have you yet to clarify how any of this amounts to "challenge" and not "timesinks" (by definition, things stretched beyond their true merit to keep you playing). Feel free to respond *directly* to these ideas.

As a bonus question, do either of you truly believe that FFXI was not one of the more hardcore MMOs out there? If you don't, that's another can of worms. If you do, then you must also concede the fact that it's mounts, rep, PA and soulbound items were shared across all jobs did not keep it from remaining a notoriously difficult MMO.

Ascendant

Each character is its own separate entity and I will not support efforts to ruin the progression of each of my characters. I do not want my Rogue's PA or achievements to pool with my Mage's. I do not want my Mage's gear to be transferred to my Rogue in any sort of form. I don't want that temptation to even exist.

As for FFXI's difficulty, its leveling was solo-unfriendly and its mechanics were tedious. I'd rather call it an unfun game than a hard one.
    good or the best

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    Each character is its own separate entity and I will not support efforts to ruin the progression of each of my characters. I do not want my Rogue's PA or achievements to pool with my Mage's. I do not want my Mage's gear to be transferred to my Rogue in any sort of form. I don't want that temptation to even exist.

As for FFXI's difficulty, its leveling was solo-unfriendly and its mechanics were tedious. I'd rather call it an unfun game than a hard one.
    Honest truth? I'm *all for* allowing people to keep their characters separate *if they so desire*. I'm all for letting players play how they want to. I will absolutely, 100% support you in petitioning Trion for the option to bar account-bound CP, rep, PA and so forth on an individual basis.

But that's a different issue than what's being discussed here. What I'm doing is denying the idea that it's automatically "welfare" when it's a) not a challenge by definition, b) not unearned and c) not particularly different from true multiclass MMOs that are still known for being difficult (whether we debate the specific game or not), especially when it comes to vehement hyperbole and rhetoric like Charlice utilizes regarding players who advocate these changes.

Some players are just very stuck inside the box with the "This is the standard, this is how it must be, and I cannot fathom otherwise". The whole #8 post ironically described some of the most notoriously rough MMOs to a T, when it was intended to decry the account-bound concept as anti-difficulty!
    Last edited by ShinChuck; 10-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    There is no such thing as "free to play" in the MMO world. If nobody was paying, the game would shut down, and you wouldn't be playing. Piggybacking and getting a free/cheap ride on people who do pay doesn't make a game "free to play", it just means someone else is paying for it.

Plane Touched

After having leveled one character to 50 i think i should have the other 3 classes on my account automatically set to 50!!!! Why should i have to do things over again if i want to play a different class. GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME SO I CAN WIN QUICKER AND QUIT SOONER TO MOVE ONTO ANOTHER SUPER EASY GIVE ME GIVE ME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP, Bound to Account would be sooooo awesome! Then I could right click the mount I wish to take off my menu and sent via mail to another character of mine.

Kudos to you and 100% in agreement of making mounts account bound!
    Last edited by BlackZodiac; 10-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

I dont want everything account bound, I only want to see real grindage stuff like faction, currencies(exclude top raiding tier marks)but old tier raiding marks should go to account bound voucher and pa xp go account bound...
    NOOOOO Account bound achievements, It beats purpose of them being called an achievement in the first place.....
    NOOOO on account bound artifacts just make alot plat buy it keeps game econ going xd.....

Example on how faction to be account bound like it is in eq2 where you buy a token clicky(worth like tons plat example 10k plat) and makes ur alt insta maxxed faction so ur main obviously needs to be maxed to buy it.
    Xandora Cleric Rift Deepwood(DERPwood) Server
    Retired Sandora Templar EQ2 Antonia Bayle Server
    Retired Xandora Cleric EQ1 Fironia Vie Server

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast