+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Here's a wild idea.......

Shadowlander

Default Here's a wild idea.......

How about take what i've paid and toss that twards Rift being advertised on t.v.???? I still cant think of a reason for it not being. One of the biggest driving factors of bussiness's failing is lack of presence and reconition. People gota not only know your there, but, be reminded that you are. And....I think its abot time they got reminded.

Do you have some market research to back up your claim?

Television is one of the most expensive mediums to advertise on.
    Once you take into account how many people who watch tv don't play MMOs you realize only a very small percentage of people who see your ads are actually potential customers. I can say for a fact that in Australia I've never seen a television ad for a game not named Fifa, Pro Evo, CoD or Battlefield, games which are decidedly more mainstream than Rift. Obviously most MMO companies think the same way as Trion in this department.

Instead for a fraction of the cost you could have a booth at E3 or PAX which is almost exclusively going to be seen by potential customers and investors.

I'm sure the marketing department at Trion know what they're doing.

Also I don't think your tiny subscription fee would pay for much airtime on a major network.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 09-23-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Nope.

Default Omg

Primalthirst, you should totally be mascot and star in this advertisement. Viewers would be overwhelmed by your magnificence and Subscribers would flock into Rift just for the chance of being in a random with your awesomeness.

I think the ad would be a viable risk, particularly leading up to Christmas. Good Idea Griffey!

Well, there's a Rift poster in The Big Bang Theory; that's something :O!
    Either Trion paid them, or a prop crew/director/actor likes the game and put it up there.

So if you see a nodlehs online, it could be Sheldon! :O
    Last edited by Jonus; 09-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Rift had a couple TV adds running around launch.

I remember seeing this one on the comedy central a couple weeks before launch =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzpnQrUjB14

Also, a couple more television adds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsBATRTD3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQiTo2kW7bY&feature=relmfu

There were also a couple more, but im not going to take the time to look for them.

Will we see more Tv adds before SL launches? Possibly but its really not the best way to advertise a video game :P You would reach more MMO players on other mmo fansites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    As for folks calling me a carebear, I've got 99 problems and being a carebear ain't one son. I've done far more than my share of virtual murder over the years. I've been part of alliances that have so heavily destabilized server balance in games that the other sides ceased to log in due to being so massively dominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Television is one of the most expensive mediums to advertise on.
    Once you take into account how many people who watch tv don't play MMOs you realize only a very small percentage of people who see your ads are actually potential customers. I can say for a fact that in Australia I've never seen a television ad for a game not named Fifa, Pro Evo, CoD or Battlefield, games which are decidedly more mainstream than Rift. Obviously most MMO companies think the same way as Trion in this department.

Instead for a fraction of the cost you could have a booth at E3 or PAX which is almost exclusively going to be seen by potential customers and investors.

I'm sure the marketing department at Trion know what they're doing.

Also I don't think your tiny subscription fee would pay for much airtime on a major network.
    I agree with you for the most part. Most potential customers are not going to see the add, but a few might. I dont think it would be worth the cost to be honest. When you could spend that same money on Youtube adds, and website adds. But, I just want to point out a booth at E3 or PAX is way more expensive then a 30sec TV add. Maybe you could get a small "indie" style boot. But nothing like the space Trion had set up at PAX for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey View Post
    How about take what i've paid and toss that twards Rift being advertised on t.v.???? I still cant think of a reason for it not being. One of the biggest driving factors of bussiness's failing is lack of presence and reconition. People gota not only know your there, but, be reminded that you are. And....I think its abot time they got reminded.
    People watching TV are not people playing MMOs. IE, that is not your target audience and = wasted money. Even Blizzard has admitted that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinmans View Post
    Rift had a couple TV adds running around launch.

I remember seeing this one on the comedy central a couple weeks before launch =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzpnQrUjB14

Also, a couple more television adds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsBATRTD3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQiTo2kW7bY&feature=relmfu

There were also a couple more, but im not going to take the time to look for them.

Will we see more Tv adds before SL launches? Possibly but its really not the best way to advertise a video game :P You would reach more MMO players on other mmo fansites.
    Those weather commercials were awful.

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

Quote Originally Posted by Synergis View Post
    Those weather commercials were awful.
    I kinda liked em. To each his own.

WoW have been advertising on TV this week. terrible ad, looks like Kung Fu Panda. But that's by the by...

lol at "Planetouched Wilds" making an early appearance.
    Yes, I raid in pink, what of it?
    FT: 4/4 :: EE:4/5
    Not copying strats since 2011

I watched "This is Rift" there were a number of names and faces at launch that I have not seen in a while.

William Cook Dynamic Content Lead
    Bill Fisher Game Designer
    Simon FFinch Senior Design Director
    Gavin Irby Senior Content Director
    Aaron Hooten Content Designer
    Andrew Krausnick Designer

I wonder what happened to them? Still at TRION, still working on RIFT or moved on? Seems like the staff turnover is much higher than I thought it was.
    There are eight species of Bear (Ursidae): Arctos, Americanus, Thibetanus, Maritimus, Helarctos, Melonleuca, Ornatus, Malayanus, Ursinus.
    Koalas are not one of them, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Protoskull View Post
    lol at "Planetouched Wilds" making an early appearance.
    Yeah, that was funny. Though I was more sad at the fact the continent was clearly whole at one point, including the coastal areas, which is something I've been begging for.

There doesn't even have to be anything there. I just want the world to be whole.

And yes TV is unrealistic for most MMOs. Only behemoths like WoW or huge publishers like EA have the budgets to throw around TV ads. (Just go give you an idea of how much ads can be, the Super Bowl costs 1 million a second, and ads for shows like Americas Got Talent can go into the millions for 30s)

And I question if the ads would even have a positive ROI considering the decline of TV as well as the TV audiences being VERY fragmented.

The best bets are, frankly, word of mouth, online ads and social media, which Trion does all of that.

Just know, YOU are the best ad platform for any company for anything. You praise a company, friends will take note, and from what I've seen Trion has a very good reputation with communities.
    So troll those gaming sites saying how much fun Rift is! :P

Rift Disciple

One of the few things Blizzard has done right is advertise. Good advertising sells games, even if something else out there is better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast