+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Get Rid of Need/Greed Rolls

Default Get Rid of Need/Greed Rolls

They are so WoW. I think if you gave players a weighted roll (a quick comparison if the gear is better than they already have would give them a bonus) then all they would have to choose is roll or pass. I know someone will make a macro to strip themselves naked before the roll, but several times I have had a really good greed roll snuffed out by a poor need roll. Plus my runecrafter could technically need on everything runebreakable, they just would'nt be liked.
    I also do not like the fact that a raid leader can change the rolling characterics, and there are several in the game that make off with all the loot.
    Just my 2cents.

Raid leader taking off with loot? well if its a pug raid you kinda gotta expect the worst to happen when it comes to looting. i have rolled higher than players but raid leader gave it to someone else who paid him plat after the raid. nothing you really can do about it if he is raid leader with the lootmaster option. Maby ask the loot rules before raid starts if in a pug
    60 Cleric = folgersinmycup
    2964 wisdom , 6673 spellpower,
    227 crit power, 996 pa levels
    530 hit
    Healing greater Illuminated tidesource and Nefarious shadesource

Quote Originally Posted by Geopenguin View Post
    I also do not like the fact that a raid leader can change the rolling characterics, and there are several in the game that make off with all the loot.
    Just my 2cents.
    I have never seen anyone do that ever, but I guess I can take your word that it happens.

Being able to change how loot is distributed is a vital tool to both PUG runs and guild runs.
    If you see someone change the rules in a 5 man tho I would just request a vote kick or AFK untill they had no choice.

Also GDKP a.k.a cash runs are made easier Via Master looter rules.

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

I don't think getting rid of it is the answer, but a modification.

Say something along the lines of the game auto rolls with only a pop up if you win or the person who rolled higher than chooses to win the item in a lesser phase.

Here is an Example:

An Earth Encrusted Sidearm Drops. The Game auto rolls a NEED AND GREED Roll for everyone eligible (This scenario there are 7 people eligible because there are 7 people in raid.) The game recognizes all that could have NEEDed on the item: 3 Clerics, 2 Mages.

The Game Rolled:

NEED ROLLS of 99, 88, 87, 55, 2
    GREED ROLLS of 100, 99, 99, 98, 44, 5, 1
    The Game takes into account the 2 Greed 99 Rolls and rerolls them into 23, 88

The Game then goes to the NEED PHASE..

There are 5 people (Players 1-5) who can need on it.

Player 1 had the NEED 99: He and he alone gets the pop up. He chooses to Greed it. He is assigned his GREED 99(23.) He rolled one of the Greed 99s that rerolled into the 23.

Player 3 had the NEED 88: She gets the pop up now. She chooses to pass. Her GREED 44 is negated.

Player 2 had the NEED 87: She gets the pop up now. She chooses greed. She is assigned her GREED 1.

Player 4 had the NEED 55: He gets the pop up now. He chooses Greed. He is assigned his 99(88.) He rolled one of the Greed 99s that rerolled into the 88.

Player 5 had the NEED 2: He gets the pop up now. He chooses Greed. He is assigned his GREED 5

The Game then goes to the GREED PHASE:

It already knows that from the above selection Player 4 with the original 99(88) roll will get top choice from all of the above rolls.

Player 7 had the GREED 100 and chooses to pass.

Player 4 then AUTO WINS THE ITEM SINCE HE CHOSE GREED EARLIER.

Player 6 had the GREED 98: HE NEVER SEES A POP UP FOR THIS ITEM.
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shaidar Haran View Post
    I don't think getting rid of it is the answer, but a modification.

Say something along the lines of the game auto rolls with only a pop up if you win or the person who rolled higher than chooses to win the item in a lesser phase.

Here is an Example:

An Earth Encrusted Sidearm Drops. The Game auto rolls a NEED AND GREED Roll for everyone eligible (This scenario there are 7 people eligible because there are 7 people in raid.) The game recognizes all that could have NEEDed on the item: 3 Clerics, 2 Mages.

The Game Rolled:

NEED ROLLS of 99, 88, 87, 55, 2
    GREED ROLLS of 100, 99, 99, 98, 44, 5, 1
    The Game takes into account the 2 Greed 99 Rolls and rerolls them into 23, 88

The Game then goes to the NEED PHASE..

There are 5 people (Players 1-5) who can need on it.

Player 1 had the NEED 99: He and he alone gets the pop up. He chooses to Greed it. He is assigned his GREED 99(23.) He rolled one of the Greed 99s that rerolled into the 23.

Player 3 had the NEED 88: She gets the pop up now. She chooses to pass. Her GREED 44 is negated.

Player 2 had the NEED 87: She gets the pop up now. She chooses greed. She is assigned her GREED 1.

Player 4 had the NEED 55: He gets the pop up now. He chooses Greed. He is assigned his 99(88.) He rolled one of the Greed 99s that rerolled into the 88.

Player 5 had the NEED 2: He gets the pop up now. He chooses Greed. He is assigned his GREED 5

The Game then goes to the GREED PHASE:

It already knows that from the above selection Player 4 with the original 99(88) roll will get top choice from all of the above rolls.

Player 7 had the GREED 100 and chooses to pass.

Player 4 then AUTO WINS THE ITEM SINCE HE CHOSE GREED EARLIER.

Player 6 had the GREED 98: HE NEVER SEES A POP UP FOR THIS ITEM.
    What a horribly convoluted suggestion. Part of the joy of killing a boss is seeing what dropped from it, especially if the boss was difficult. Not only would your suggestion ruin that feeling, but you make it even more ripe for abuse. What would stop the first person to get the pop-up from just selecting Need, regardless of whether or not that player actually needed it? No one else would even get a chance to see that item. You would have no idea if someone were ninjaing or not.

EDIT: There are many systems for distributing loot. It's up to your group to find out what works best. In a perfect world, people would understand that Need is an upgrade to your gear and Greed is if you want the item just to use.
    Last edited by Caydin; 09-23-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

I think that getting rid of need and greed rolls is a terrible idea. That isn't to say that there is no room for improvement though. I think you should have to be able to use an item to be able to need on it; a good example being rune recipes that drop in dungeons. I've had those ninja'd by non-runecrafters on countless occasions.

Rift Master

If you ran into a raid leader who did that? Just don't join his PUG raids anymore.

If you want to decide, form your own raids.

When I form a raid I usually have it set to need/greed, but watch who needs what to see if someone needs on everything. For the last boss, I switch to master looter and have them do manual rolls on the items, as some people tend to need on stuff they don't even really need.

+ Reply to Thread